Elantra Sport Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it just me? during highway speed, when I'm in fifth or sixth gear (under 3000 RPM) and floor it.. it sounds as if my intake isn't sucking in air evenly. The air coming in sounds very choppy. anyone noticed or experience this?

DK

·
Registered
263 Posts
Is it just me? during highway speed, when I'm in fifth or sixth gear (under 3000 RPM) and floor it.. it sounds as if my intake isn't sucking in air evenly. The air coming in sounds very choppy. anyone noticed or experience this?

DK
High gear and flooring it done go together, you putting stress on Turbo and engine is struggling to produce power. Can lead to knock and premature detonation. I suggest dropping it a gear or two if you need to jump on it.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
High gear and flooring it done go together, you putting stress on Turbo and engine is struggling to produce power. Can lead to knock and premature detonation. I suggest dropping it a gear or two if you need to jump on it.
is that what it is? even at full throttle in high gears the turbo isn't spinning fast enough? hence, the choppy air coming in and not smooth?

DK

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Registered
25 Posts
I recently installed the SXTH Element Short ram intake on my 19' Elantra and I happen to notice that same choppy sound at certain RMPs on the highway. Is there anyone else with an intake more recently hearing the same thing?

·
Registered
2,237 Posts
I recently installed the SXTH Element Short ram intake on my 19' Elantra and I happen to notice that same choppy sound at certain RMPs on the highway. Is there anyone else with an intake more recently hearing the same thing?
It's either the super sensitive bypass valve or a "rattlesnake" type sound which is an attribute of the stock boost control solenoid. Either way nothing is wrong.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I have the SXth Element intake on my elantra as well and never noticed anything unless it was a cold start and never let it warm up...i have a turbo xs BOV on as well and the only issue i get is a check engine light which im assuming is the solenoid that i dont feel like changing...it disappears after a bit...otherwise i havent noticed a thing

·
Registered
25 Posts
I have the SXth Element intake on my elantra as well and never noticed anything unless it was a cold start and never let it warm up...i have a turbo xs BOV on as well and the only issue i get is a check engine light which im assuming is the solenoid that i dont feel like changing...it disappears after a bit...otherwise i haven't noticed a thing
Hmm.. alright, here is an example of the choppy air sound I was talking about. This doesn't happen all the time but when you do a decent pull at certain RPMs this is what it sounds like. what do you guys think?

·
Registered
2,237 Posts
I have the SXth Element intake on my elantra as well and never noticed anything unless it was a cold start and never let it warm up...i have a turbo xs BOV on as well and the only issue i get is a check engine light which im assuming is the solenoid that i dont feel like changing...it disappears after a bit...otherwise i havent noticed a thing
Solenoid won't fix that. ECU is just sensitive about it.
Hmm.. alright, here is an example of the choppy air sound I was talking about. This doesn't happen all the time but when you do a decent pull at certain RPMs this is what it sounds like. what do you guys think?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P5HXFfsQr_M
That's the rattle snake I was talking about. Upgrade the factory boost solenoid and it will go away.

·
Registered
30 Posts

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P5HXFfsQr_M
Are you overloading the engine basically too high of gear trying to get on it? I do have a mk7 gti as well and that sound is common through either a leak somewhere or a bad turbo. The mk7 gti is notorious for blowing turbos.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Are you overloading the engine basically too high of gear trying to get on it? I do have a mk7 gti as well and that sound is common through either a leak somewhere or a bad turbo. The mk7 gti is notorious for blowing turbos.
I don't think so? it's a DCT, I usually let it choose its own gears during my normal commute. I'll check the silicon reducer at the turbo inlet again, but everything was pretty snug. I think I might just have to upgrade the Solenoid

·
Registered
76 Posts
A lot of modern turbo cars will use the bypass valve in conjunction with the wastegate to manage boost pressure entering the engine. I believe it's to keep the turbo spinning at a higher rpm but to not send boost into the engine, which helps with throttle response if you do decide to increase throttle. It goes away when you lean into the throttle more, right? Sounds like this is what's happening in this case, judging by the video.

·
Registered
25 Posts
A lot of modern turbo cars will use the bypass valve in conjunction with the wastegate to manage boost pressure entering the engine. I believe it's to keep the turbo spinning at a higher rpm but to not send boost into the engine, which helps with throttle response if you do decide to increase throttle. It goes away when you lean into the throttle more, right? Sounds like this is what's happening in this case, judging by the video.
yes, pretty much. Low/High throttle input you don't hear it, but its that mid throttle input you here it most.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts