Elantra Sport Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I passed when I first saw the price. Then I tried other knobs with no success and came back to this.

I like the look. No issues with build quality or fit.

It comes with the knob, loctite, a washer and a nut. Anyone with an iota of ability will figure out how to install it on their own so after an e-mail to support, the knob was on & secure.

I like the texture, but prefer the leather of the stock knob. It makes wrist flick shifts possible, "whole arm" shifts feel the same to me. The rim around the bottom for the reverse lockout has an edge. It isn't sharp but it isn't completely rounded over either. Just a new surface I'm still on the fence about.

It conducts heat as you'd expect from a metal knob, cold in the morning, hot in the afternoon, goldilocks in the evenings. Nothing unbearable, or even uncomfortable, but a noticeable change from stock.

I'm giving it a month for the benefits of a weighted shift knob to become obvious/essential as the first day with it has me missing the OG.

Attachments

·
Registered
78 Posts
I've had mine for a bit over 2 weeks, it's a heavy knob, it works :) As you said, flicks are now much easier

Didn't notice the edge you mention, but I'm sure it's there, did find the wrinkle surface finish to be perfect. I didn't use the loctite, as I adjusted the included nut, to the point I could tightly screw on the knob with the right orientation and height I like. Doesn't come loose at all.

I've paid upwards to $120 for various knobs on other cars, I think the price here is average for what you're getting.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Cover it with leather and Im in. I hate metal knobs (giggity)

·
Registered
88 Posts
Got mine a week ago, I'll share any variance in opinion around the same time! So far I agree with you. The size, as I have smaller hands, is almost a few mm too big for me but the weight is pretty cool. It conducts 110 degree AZ heat like a ****ing silver bar.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Does the stock shift knob just screw off?

·
Registered
2,413 Posts
Get something like a Crown Royal bag to put over it when you get out of the car.
Doesn't matter, it doesn't have to be in direct sunlight for it to get hot. Radiant heat still sucks.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I dont understand why weve accepted this stupidity as normal.

Get a crown royal bag, dont rest your hand on it, get a sock... If I wanted to look like I was in high school pretending to be in college, Id do all those things.

Or I could demand a not metallic object in my car where I dont want one.

Leather. Its amazing.

·
Registered
228 Posts
I've always had metal shift knobs. My favorite by far is titanium. I tried a few leather ones and they just didn't feel right, plus you'll wear them out fast and they'll look like crap. I've always just used a soft pouch/case. It keeps the knob from being too cold/hot. It only gets too hot when there is direct sunlight on it, so you can also just cover it with something. And I have yet to see a leather knob that looks better than a ball type metal one.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I dont understand why weve accepted this stupidity as normal.

Get a crown royal bag, dont rest your hand on it, get a sock... If I wanted to look like I was in high school pretending to be in college, Id do all those things.

Or I could demand a not metallic object in my car where I dont want one.

Leather. Its amazing.
Sweet! You found a weighted leather knob that works with our reverse lockout? I wish I hadn't wasted the last month trying so-called adapters and so-called reverse-lockout-compatible options. Link please.

You know you're not supposed to rest your hand on your shift knob, right?

·
Registered
2,413 Posts
Or you could just be a man, and not have sensitive hands
Or you could come out here this week when it's 115 and test it out for yourself instead of telling people how they should feel. :rolleyes:

Reactions: Voodoo Idol

·
Super Moderator
1,198 Posts

·
Registered
2,413 Posts
I've been driving manuals since 1985. I've always left my hand resting on the shift knob and I've never once damaged a transmission. That guy in the video can go take a flying leap off of a short pier. :)
I'm not sure it would apply to most cases, but some cars it's a no-no. I come from a background of B13 Sentra SE-R's and they along with early 90's Nissan NX vehicles had an issue with "5th gear pop-out". Often caused by resting your hand on the shifter.

·
Registered
2,413 Posts
It was just a joke, I'm an older guy not so caught up on this hurt-feelings movement
Most jokes and/or sarcasm are lost on the internet. Some things just do not come across as funny.

Reactions: lkaufmann19

·
Super Moderator
1,198 Posts
I'm not sure it would apply to most cases, but some cars it's a no-no. I come from a background of B13 Sentra SE-R's and they along with early 90's Nissan NX vehicles had an issue with "5th gear pop-out". Often caused by resting your hand on the shifter.
I've owned and driven such a wide array of manual vehicles and, as it has never happened, is not even remotely on my radar. I'll continue driving every manual I'll ever own with my hand resting on the shifter. :)

·
Registered
2,413 Posts
I've owned and driven such a wide array of manual vehicles and, as it has never happened, is not even remotely on my radar. I'll continue driving every manual I'll ever own with my hand resting on the shifter. :)
Just sayin', it is a thing. ;)

1 - 20 of 24 Posts