Elantra Sport Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I had a Focus ST that I got really cheap new. $19,700 + TTL. Liked the car a lot. 2 mini gripes: had a little rattle from rear hatch and the ride was definitely on the firm side.
I traded it for a '15 Mustang GT (super low miles and already supercharged). Love the Mustang (not my daily driver) but sort of missed the preciseness of a smaller/lighter car.

Was near a Hyundai dealer and they were offering the $40 prepaid Visa just to test drive so I did. A '17 manual Elantra Sport in black. Asking $17995, which I thought was an incredible price.
Test drive notes:
-The interior was nicer than the base Focus ST I had. Just more upscale. Although the base cloth seats in the ST were excellent, so were the leather one in the Hyundai. Plus heated leather seats, Apple Carplay..all standard for $17,995??
-Ride quality is the Elantra is much more comfortable than the Focus ST.
-Shifter in the Elantra was surprisingly good. Focus ST may have been a tad better but not by much.
-Power in the Elantra Sport was decent but it felt a little slower than I had imagined but I didn't push it hard. Hwy power didn't seem that great but still pretty good.

The Focus ST definitely feels a bit faster and more sporty all around and sounds better in the cabin b/c of the sound symposer. It's just more raw and handles better. As a daily driver, it's a tough call. The Elantra would be more comfortable/livable especially on longer drives. And the warranty is better and I think it's probably better built. I'm guessing fewer rattles.

It's certainly lighter than my Mustang GT and of course feels much slower. But I don't think I'd replace my Mustang with one b/c I don't daily commute (work from home). If I went smaller, it would probably be another Focus ST I think despite the harsher ride. But it's close. The Elantra Sport is a phenomenal value. I don't think either car is a bad choice.

·
Registered
2,931 Posts
ES with a few mods would be equally as fast as the stock ST, and you'd still have the better ride and interior features/quality. Just something to think about.

·
Registered
288 Posts
ES sounds better than the STs too. Ecoboosts do not sound good haha

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The ES may sound better outside (I didn’t notice). But inside the Focus ST sounded better. Also like I said the ST is really sporty and raw. It handles unbelievably IMO. Should be faster for 252hp. But if you want sportier the ST wins. But the ES is a great all around package.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I too had an ST until I crashed it. My brother did the same thing to his ST. That seems to be the only way out of an ST is to wreck it. I would still have mine for I didnt crash it. The ST is monster with a tune! The manual gearbox is precise and dialed in with perfect feedback from the clutch. The ES's clutch is without much feeling making smooth engagement a task that requires a learning curve. The whooping 200 hp out of the ES does make a noticeable difference compared to the ST's 260 whp/ 325 ft/lbs torque (with tune). But the ES is designed to be a good spirited driving car on a daily basis. That it is. I have owned a ton of cars and the ST by far offers one of the best driving experiences. The Elantra is not far behind though. Yes it is slower but the experience is rewarding. The ES does have a better infotainment system and interior quality is just as nice if not nicer than the ST. I love the seats in the ES. Very supportive and just the right amount of lateral support for being a daily. I love the fact that I can rev the motor out while not breaking any major laws, the ST on the other hand breaks mostly every one in the book. There is nothing like going three wheels through a corner in the ST!!! Kodos to the engineers of Hyundai.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Especially with mods and a tune you can easily gain 30-40 whp out of the 1.6, and that’s just with basic mods.

·
Registered
188 Posts
I've had both. Performance wise there's no comparison between the two. Those saying if you tune the ES it can start to catch up are being silly because you can do exactly the same to the ST and continue to blow it's doors off. My ST, bone stock, put down over 240whp and 280wtq. You'll be spending some change to get the ES to that power level and, once you arrive, I'll throw on a $500 tune and say bye-bye all over again.

The ES isn't on that level because it's not supposed to be. It's a good cheap DD that you can have fun in. It's also INSANELY more reliable than my ST was. That car was the biggest piece of **** of any car I've ever owned. Ford's build quality is laughable.

·
Registered
288 Posts
I've had both. Performance wise there's no comparison between the two. Those saying if you tune the ES it can start to catch up are being silly because you can do exactly the same to the ST and continue to blow it's doors off. My ST, bone stock, put down over 240whp and 280wtq. You'll be spending some change to get the ES to that power level and, once you arrive, I'll throw on a $500 tune and say bye-bye all over again.

The ES isn't on that level because it's not supposed to be. It's a good cheap DD that you can have fun in. It's also INSANELY more reliable than my ST was. That car was the biggest piece of **** of any car I've ever owned. Ford's build quality is laughable.
I’ll agree with you on the build quality. Granted he Focus has never been known for it, my brother has a 17 focus and it’s terrible. But the trucks and mustangs are top notch, as they need to be or else ford would be done.

·
Premium Member
1,226 Posts
I’ll agree with you on the build quality. Granted he Focus has never been known for it, my brother has a 17 focus and it’s terrible. But the trucks and mustangs are top notch, as they need to be or else ford would be done.
Except that every F150 made with a 3rd brake light, regardless of year - the brake light leaks, builds up mold inside, and eventually leaks into the cab and causes water spotting and/or mold on the headliner.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Except that every F150 made with a 3rd brake light, regardless of year - the brake light leaks, builds up mold inside, and eventually leaks into the cab and causes water spotting and/or mold on the headliner.
Weird. My dads f150 with 170k on it doesn’t do that. Nor do any of the f150s my friends have.

So I guess every one ever made is a bit of an exaggeration huh?

·
Registered
338 Posts
Weird. My dads f150 with 170k on it doesn’t do that. Nor do any of the f150s my friends have.

Touché!

·
Premium Member
1,226 Posts

$10 says they all do (unless they're under 2 years old - that's about when it becomes evident). Go stand in the bed and look into the lens cover. I detail about 4 of these things a week, and every one of them has mold in it and leaks into the headliner. Bar none.

·
Registered
288 Posts
$10 says they all do (unless they're under 2 years old - that's about when it becomes evident). Go stand in the bed and look into the lens cover. I detail about 4 of these things a week, and every one of them has mold in it and leaks into the headliner. Bar none.
Looked at it when you mentioned it a couple days ago cause that’s something I hadn’t heard of. Didn’t see anything. Couple of my friends didn’t see anything either. That’s not to say you’re wrong haha. You see those trucks at a higher rate than I do so I’ll take your word for it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
No doubt the ES is built better than the ST was. I had a rattle from the rear hatch after the 1st week that never went away and the gaps in the hatch was definitely misaligned upon delivery.
I actually traded my ST for my '15 Mustang GT performance pack. It feels more solid than the ST does. I got it barely used and it already had a supercharger installed. It's space shuttle fast if put your foot into it. I wouldn't have it as my only car though. It's just for taking out on fun drives. If only one car, the ES is hard to beat for the price/performance/quality. It looks good too.

·
Registered
288 Posts
No doubt the ES is built better than the ST was. I had a rattle from the rear hatch after the 1st week that never went away and the gaps in the hatch was definitely misaligned upon delivery.
I actually traded my ST for my '15 Mustang GT performance pack. It feels more solid than the ST does. I got it barely used and it already had a supercharger installed. It's space shuttle fast if put your foot into it. I wouldn't have it as my only car though. It's just for taking out on fun drives. If only one car, the ES is hard to beat for the price/performance/quality. It looks good too.
Agreed. I came from a 2013 5.0 GT with the recaros/brembos. Did a bunch of mods to it. Would not daily that again. Before I sold it I was putting down close to 500 wheel. Such a fun car tho.

Attachments

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Agreed. I came from a 2013 5.0 GT with the recaros/brembos. Did a bunch of mods to it. Would not daily that again. Before I sold it I was putting down close to 500 wheel. Such a fun car tho.
Mine has cloth recaros. Love them. Has other mods too but came that way except for the wheels.

Attachments

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.