Elantra Sport Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey Guys,
Check out this review from Forbes that published lastnight:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/danroth/2017/09/06/2017-hyundai-elantra-sport-review/#7cbb1bd67d09

I agree with most everything he talks about. The ride is good, but not as good as the GTI. Its quick, but not as quick as the GTI. The interior is awesome and close to a class leader in terms of design.

All in all, the article speaks pretty highly about the car putting into consideration how much cheaper it is than a GTI or Focus ST (though it still doesnt account for Hyundai's deals, considering I got mine for 19k out the door in Oregon)

·
Registered
98 Posts
Hey Guys,
Check out this review from Forbes that published lastnight:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/danroth/2017/09/06/2017-hyundai-elantra-sport-review/#7cbb1bd67d09

I agree with most everything he talks about. The ride is good, but not as good as the GTI. Its quick, but not as quick as the GTI. The interior is awesome and close to a class leader in terms of design.

All in all, the article speaks pretty highly about the car putting into consideration how much cheaper it is than a GTI of Focus ST (though it still doesnt account for Hyundai's deals, considering I got mine for 19k out the door in Oregon)
"busts a respectable move." :)

I'd put the Hyundai interior as the class leader - compared to the Honda Civic Hatchback Sport. Ignore the logo on the steering wheel and don't touch the hard plastic stuff, and the thing could be an Audi. A matter of taste, but after owning a Tokyo-by-night car before the ES, I am so happy to be back in a car with a simple, no nonsense dashboard.

·
Registered
2,326 Posts
Here we go comparing it to the GTi again........

That car is so over rated.

·
Registered
84 Posts
In what sense? Every mag loves the GTI with few if any complaints. Every one. At what point do you stop fighting it and admit it?
Even the bottom end GTI is $10,000 more expensive than my ES. I've driven both. For $10K, I'll drive my ES and laugh every time I put regular fuel in it. I've driven nothing but VW's for the past 20 years. When my wife's Beetle Sport was written off by a distracted driver, we went looking for a replacement, and started at VW. I wasn't even thinking about Hyundai until the rental we got from insurance turned out to be a Veloster (which sucked), but got us looking.

The magazines may love the GTI, but my pocket book sure doesn't. I test drove Civic SI's, VW GTI's & GLI's, the new v6 turbo Mustang, etc., and kept coming back to the ES. Next to the Mustang, most manufacturers colour palettes suck - especially VW. Hyundai was one of the few manufacturers willing to take a chance on some bold colours.

What finally pushed it over the edge for me was the deep discounts on the 2017 models and low financing rates. Plus, only at Hyundai and Ford did the General Managers come and talk to me and suggest putting performance mods on my new car to make it more fun to drive. The Hyundai GM told me that within the next year, they are going to be launching a performance division and will have cold air intakes, custom exhaust, sport suspensions, etc. that could be added to my car (we'll wait and see if any of that actually happens LOL).

At every VW dealership I went to, when I mentioned that I had chipped and modded pretty much every VW I had ever owned, pretty much came out and said that any modification to the car would straight up void the warranty - and that even if I tried to return it to stock before going in for warranty work, they would be able to tell if I modded it.

My wife loves the car so much that we decided to sell off all of our other cars and buy a 2nd one - just waiting for her 2018 Phoenix Orange ES to arrive to pair with my 2017 Blazing Yellow ES - two extremely fun, eye catching cars and $20,000 in savings - or 250,000+ km's worth of fuel :D:D:D:D

Reactions: kdetlor and birdman

·
Registered
2,326 Posts
In what sense? Every mag loves the GTI with few if any complaints. Every one. At what point do you stop fighting it and admit it?
Maybe they should own one for more than 50k miles and they'll see the true side of the GTi. I had a 2009 and will never own another. Reliability is certainly an issue with them. Besides that, magazines like to pretend that it's the be all end all of sport compacts and there are so many better choices for less money. The ES does not compete against the GTi so they need to stop acting like it does.

At every VW dealership I went to, when I mentioned that I had chipped and modded pretty much every VW I had ever owned, pretty much came out and said that any modification to the car would straight up void the warranty - and that even if I tried to return it to stock before going in for warranty work, they would be able to tell if I modded it.
Legally in the US they can't do that. Don't know about Canada.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Agreed that they need to stop comparing it to the GTI. Comparing it to the Jetta GLI is more fair and, having owned both, the Elantra Sport is the better car. Materials-wise the Jetta interior is just embarrassing and the car had interior rattles from day one made worse by the Fender audio system the car had. It was a **** good sounding system, but it caused every piece of plastic in that car to rattle.

The GTI is the benchmark for a reason. It combines performance with practicality and frankly it just does it better than any other sporty small car. It costs more because, IMO, it's worth more. It's a far more premium car than the Elantra Sport. That doesn't mean I want to pay for it though. lol

As far as warranty work on modded cars go, I never had issues with VW service and my GLI was APR-tuned. I simply asked them not to connect the car and run the VW ECU scan which flags the tune and voids the warranty. They understood why I was asking and had zero issues with doing it. This same dealership runs a VW car show and pancake breakfast every year so they are pretty awesome. The point being, you just need to find a good service department to work with. I've always been told that Hyundai service departments will go to **** and back to find a way to get out of warranty work which is something I struggled with with our Sonata Hybrid and Elantra Limited until I came across a good one that goes above and beyond to take care of their customers. It's just luck of the draw.

·
Registered
108 Posts
https://www.cars.com/for-sale/searchresults.action/?mdId=58767&mkId=20089&page=1&perPage=50&rd=99999&searchSource=SORT&sort=price-lowest&stkTypId=28880&transTypeId=28112&yrId=30031936&zc=22309

Pricing for the MKVII can be equal or cheaper than an Elantra Sport. You can't compare the reliability of a 2009 GTI to a 2017 model. VW reliability has come a long way. Not quite equal to Hyundai and definitely not to Honda, but it's much better these days. (A lot of new Civic owners are hating their new Honda's for small issues) Though all German cars are still way over engineered.

You want to make a Sport model, be ready to be compared to the best out there. That's just how life is.

Overrated? I don't think so:

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/2017-volkswagen-golf-gti-tested-review

http://autoweek.com/article/car-reviews/2017-volkswagen-golf-gti-sport-review-hot-hatch-matured

https://www.autoblog.com/2016/02/16/volkswagen-gti-long-term-wrap-up-feature/

·
Registered
341 Posts
Pricing for the MKVII can be equal or cheaper than an Elantra Sport.
Funny, when I was in the market at the end of April I targeted the GTI first, but couldn't find anything on Autotrader less than $25k. I checked again this afternoon and it's the same thing. I now understand you have to scroll past ALL of the "Premium Listings," to get to the first "Featured Listings" that show ~$20k GTIs. I'm pretty sure I'd have gone with zee Germans had I been more internet savvy.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Funny, when I was in the market at the end of April I targeted the GTI first, but couldn't find anything on Autotrader less than $25k. I checked again this afternoon and it's the same thing. I now understand you have to scroll past ALL of the "Premium Listings," to get to the first "Featured Listings" that show ~$20k GTIs. I'm pretty sure I'd have gone with zee Germans had I been more internet savvy.
Cars.com is so much better next time you're in the market. And True Car is good to get an idea of what you should be paying. Before I was set on a new car I test drove a GTI and loved everything except for the long clutch travel. But I have a Hyundai dealer at the dealership I work at which made my decision easier. Plus the Hyundai was cheaper and I got 0% APR.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Regarding the pricing for MKVII GTI's I have to agree that they aren't much more expensive than even a discounted Elantra Sport. I got my ES for 19K out the door and could have gotten a 2017 GTI for 21k out the door (5k off MSRP) but the model I wanted was the GTI Sport with the LSD, 220 hp, R brakes, HID headlights and premium audio...but that was $24,500 and I couldnt justify the additional $5,500. Because of diesel-gate you can get VW's for a really reasonable price.

I've owned a MKVI GTI, MKVII GTI, Fiesta ST and FRS over the course of the last 6 years and have to say the GTI is excellent. I love my ES, dont get me wrong, but the GTI is the better driving experience (which it should be based on price and class)

I am super happy with my ES overall, but coming from a GTI, there are definitely some short-comings/sacrifices in terms of build quality and engagement. (Though I believe the ES will be more reliable in the long-run).

·
Registered
88 Posts
https://www.cars.com/for-sale/searchresults.action/?mdId=58767&mkId=20089&page=1&perPage=50&rd=99999&searchSource=SORT&sort=price-lowest&stkTypId=28880&transTypeId=28112&yrId=30031936&zc=22309

Pricing for the MKVII can be equal or cheaper than an Elantra Sport. You can't compare the reliability of a 2009 GTI to a 2017 model. VW reliability has come a long way. Not quite equal to Hyundai and definitely not to Honda, but it's much better these days. (A lot of new Civic owners are hating their new Honda's for small issues) Though all German cars are still way over engineered.

You want to make a Sport model, be ready to be compared to the best out there. That's just how life is.

Overrated? I don't think so:

2017 Volkswagen Golf GTI Tested | Review | Car and Driver

2017 VW GTI review: Still the top dog

https://www.autoblog.com/2016/02/16/volkswagen-gti-long-term-wrap-up-feature/
I feel like the main point of your posts are always to remind us that there's other cars out there lol. Get off the internet and just buy something already.

·
Registered
2,326 Posts
Regarding the pricing for MKVII GTI's I have to agree that they aren't much more expensive than even a discounted Elantra Sport. I got my ES for 19K out the door and could have gotten a 2017 GTI for 21k out the door (5k off MSRP) but the model I wanted was the GTI Sport with the LSD, 220 hp, R brakes, HID headlights and premium audio...but that was $24,500 and I couldnt justify the additional $5,500. Because of diesel-gate you can get VW's for a really reasonable price.

I've owned a MKVI GTI, MKVII GTI, Fiesta ST and FRS over the course of the last 6 years and have to say the GTI is excellent. I love my ES, dont get me wrong, but the GTI is the better driving experience (which it should be based on price and class)

I am super happy with my ES overall, but coming from a GTI, there are definitely some short-comings/sacrifices in terms of build quality and engagement. (Though I believe the ES will be more reliable in the long-run).
Former Mk5 GTi owner here. Yes, it was nice........when it worked. 2 years of electrical issues, 2 intake manifold replacements (under warranty) and 2 thermostat replacements (first replacement part failed after two weeks) I ditched it as soon as I could and haven't looked back. The ES is about 80% of what a GTi is and for $19k off the lot I am not complaining. The ES reminds me a lot of the Mk5, but without the issues.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Pricing for the MKVII can be equal or cheaper than an Elantra Sport.
That is not true in the Twin Cities. The cheapest GTI on autotrader is $4,200 more than what I paid for an Elantra Sport, and this dealer is a no-haggle dealer that prices competitively. That was the case when I was shopping as well. That's 23% more money than what you can get an Elantra Sport for.

I shopped these cars, I know what they both go for. They aren't even close to the same price, so it's pretty amazing that the Elantra Sport is constantly being compared to the GTI.

The TRUE VW competition for the Elantra Sport, in both price and body style, is the Jetta SE 1.4T. I shopped those as well.

I actually shopped VW and Hyundai on the same day, because the Hyundai dealer is two blocks down the street from VW here in Burnsville.

All of the magazines truly have it wrong, it's the Volkswagen Jetta 1.4T that's underwhelming.

That Jetta 1.4T is a good car, but it's no Elantra Sport.

That's what the mags should be printing.

·
Registered
108 Posts
That is not true in the Twin Cities. The cheapest GTI on autotrader is $4,200 more than what I paid for an Elantra Sport, and this dealer is a no-haggle dealer that prices competitively. That was the case when I was shopping as well. That's 23% more money than what you can get an Elantra Sport for.

I shopped these cars, I know what they both go for. They aren't even close to the same price, so it's pretty amazing that the Elantra Sport is constantly being compared to the GTI.

The TRUE VW competition for the Elantra Sport, in both price and body style, is the Jetta SE 1.4T. I shopped those as well.

I actually shopped VW and Hyundai on the same day, because the Hyundai dealer is two blocks down the street from VW here in Burnsville.

All of the magazines truly have it wrong, it's the Volkswagen Jetta 1.4T that's underwhelming.

People from all of the country purchase from VW dealers in the Washington, DC area because of the low pricing. Some take a one way flight and some have the cars shipped. The pricing is real for anyone willing to put in a little effort. And obviously it's worth this extra effort. DC pricing: https://www.cars.com/for-sale/searchresults.action/?mdId=58767&mkId=20089&page=1&perPage=50&rd=99999&searchSource=SORT&sort=price-lowest&stkTypId=28880&transTypeId=28112&yrId=30031936&zc=22309

The 1.4 is an econobox. Not bad. Just not performance oriented in any way. Maybe the SEL with the 1.8 turbo engine could be compared to the Sport. A better comparison would be the GLI to the Sport. But then it goes downhill for the Sport as it's outmatched performance wise.
There may indeed be no "true" competitor to the Elantra Sport with the closest being a Civic 1.5.

And to your quote: "That Jetta 1.4T is a good car, but it's no Elantra Sport." You do see the irony in that comment starting with the OP's linked review correct?

·
Registered
137 Posts

People from all of the country purchase from VW dealers in the Washington, DC area because of the low pricing. Some take a one way flight and some have the cars shipped. The pricing is real for anyone willing to put in a little effort. And obviously it's worth this extra effort. DC pricing: https://www.cars.com/for-sale/searchresults.action/?mdId=58767&mkId=20089&page=1&perPage=50&rd=99999&searchSource=SORT&sort=price-lowest&stkTypId=28880&transTypeId=28112&yrId=30031936&zc=22309

The 1.4 is an econobox. Not bad. Just not performance oriented in any way. Maybe the SEL with the 1.8 turbo engine could be compared to the Sport. A better comparison would be the GLI to the Sport. But then it goes downhill for the Sport as it's outmatched performance wise.
There may indeed be no "true" competitor to the Elantra Sport with the closest being a Civic 1.5.

And to your quote: "That Jetta 1.4T is a good car, but it's no Elantra Sport." You do see the irony in that comment starting with the OP's linked review correct?
I don't believe that pricing at all.

I made that comment because that's what the mags always say about the Elantra Sport. "It's no GTI....."

Well, yeah, it's not a hatchback and you can buy it for $18.5K......for real.....not some BS internet price.

Here in the Twin Cities, where I buy my cars, the only thing VW has for $18.5K is the Jetta 1.4T. The 1.8L doesn't come with a manual. And the manual that is available is a 5 speed.

And the GLI? It does not outperform or even drive better than the Elantra Sport.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Here's the disclaimer on these $17K GTIs:

"Customers may not qualify for any or all of these incentives, which would affect the current Internet price. Please contact a sales consultant for all details."

Lol.

There's a dealer here that advertises outrageous prices as well. Jeff Belzers. Nobody qualifies.

Sure, you can get a $17K GTI.....if you're a recent college grad, civil war veteran, Uber driver, quadriplegic, VW owner. And even then, if you satisfied all of that, there would still be a reason why the $17K GTI you came to buy is now $22K.

And even if the Elantra Sport and GTI were both $22K, I'd still get the Elantra.

Because VW.

Reactions: n0thing

·
Registered
2,326 Posts
Civic Sport, Sentra SR Turbo and/or Nismo, Jetta GLI.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts