Elantra Sport Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So today we got a good dose of freezing rain and accumulated snow and it was heavier hitting on the driver side of my car. After work, I proceeded to drive home and seconds later my ABS light and Traction Control light came on and the car felt weird. Turns out my left rear wheel was frozen and would not rotate. I thought perhaps my ebrake had frozen. After a long while, I got lucky and the wheel freed up after rocking the car back and forth, and finding something gritty to put under the tire to help it grab traction. I was able to drive home, but the warning lights on my dash are still active and the ABS brake system remained active, feeling the pulse of the brake pedal when using the brakes even though I was never in a skid situation. It's like the ABS is on continuous now.

I'm hoping my car will thaw out overnight and this is just a case of some ice buildup that will melt away and things will go back to normal.

Any thoughts from you folks or a similar experience?

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
These lights on continuous now! ABS and Traction Control.

Attachments

·
Registered
66 Posts
That would certainly scare the >beep< outta me. If the lights remain on, hopefully your dealer won’t be an a-hole and say something like it was b/c you painted the calipers.

This past December it was really windy here @ 70 mph and my CEL turned on. I was freaked out. At the time I had a strong idea what caused it. I had to limp home to fix the issue.

Keep this topic going with updates. I’m interested in the outcome.

·
Registered
2,940 Posts
If you had the parking brake engaged, it could have frozen the pads to the rotor. Definitely let it thaw out and report back, though I'm not sure the lights will turn off by themselves.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Hey BlazingYellow2017,

Same thing happened to me. I drove to work in the pouring rain (+12 degrees), then when I left work (-10 degrees), got in the car, warmed up, scraped ice off of it. And then when ready to leave, put the car in drive, and it was stuck. I just pushed the gas, and it broke free. I didn't get any lights. I knew what it was, instantly. It happened several times with my Kia Soul after a power wash or the ESSO car wash (power wash style), in the winter. After those washes, and it's -15 degrees or something, the brakes would be frozen.

You are not alone! I question, why do we live in such cold!?

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That would certainly scare the >beep< outta me. If the lights remain on, hopefully your dealer won’t be an a-hole and say something like it was b/c you painted the calipers.

This past December it was really windy here @ 70 mph and my CEL turned on. I was freaked out. At the time I had a strong idea what caused it. I had to limp home to fix the issue.

Keep this topic going with updates. I’m interested in the outcome.
I will keep you posted.. Trying to get into the dealership today.

If you had the parking brake engaged, it could have frozen the pads to the rotor. Definitely let it thaw out and report back, though I'm not sure the lights will turn off by themselves.
I did have the parking Brake engaged... I hope it's just a case of the dealership resetting the warning lights.

Hey BlazingYellow2017,

Same thing happened to me. I drove to work in the pouring rain (+12 degrees), then when I left work (-10 degrees), got in the car, warmed up, scraped ice off of it. And then when ready to leave, put the car in drive, and it was stuck. I just pushed the gas, and it broke free. I didn't get any lights. I knew what it was, instantly. It happened several times with my Kia Soul after a power wash or the ESSO car wash (power wash style), in the winter. After those washes, and it's -15 degrees or something, the brakes would be frozen.

You are not alone! I question, why do we live in such cold!?
Yeah.... Why do we tolerate this cold weather?... Lol

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Good News...

I disconnected the battery... Waited a minute, reconnected the battery, lights still on... Took it for a drive and within 600 feet... The lights went away!

The car also had a good thaw overnight in the garage.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Same thing actually JUST happened to me this morning and I'm getting pretty frustrated because this is now the fourth time this has happened to me but this time was the worst. I've never had a car's brakes lock up this much and yes it has been very cold and snowy here in Ohio. No lights came on for me thankfully and never have but the first three times only took a little throttle for them to free. This morning was different though. I had the parking brake engaged as I always do and put it in first and it would not move an inch. Ended up having to rock the car using first and reverse until it freed itself but it didn't actually free itself. I'm positive my rear right wheel was still locked up and was dragging as I pulled it out of the garage and drove maybe 50 feet until it did free. But as I decided then and there I wasn't driving it to work (30 mile commute), I put it in reverse back into the garage but as the wheels rotated, it made a clicking noise. Contacted my Uncle who is the Service Manager at Ricart and he thinks it's due to the combination of how cold it's been and the salt water hardening the brakes... so right where most of you are thinking. But I tell you what, it's one of those sounds that makes you die a little on the inside as the brakes free themselves and you think you just ruined your car. Lol

·
Registered
33 Posts
I will keep you all updated as I'm going to look after to work to see if anything is clearly damaged because it was much worse this time, as I described. I'll let the car warm up and attempt to drive it but to avoid this in the future when it's this cold, I'm leaving the parking brake disengaged. Do you all think damage could have been done to the pads since that's most likely what caused the car not moving?

·
Registered
27 Posts
I highly doubt there is any damage to the brakes themselves. They are metal and the force being exerted on them is limited to the amount of traction the tire has. My main concern would be damage to the tires (flat spots) if you drove it a significant distance with the rear wheels locked, which it sounds like you did not.

Leaving the parking brake disengaged should help as there will be more clearance between the pad and rotor.

·
Registered
33 Posts
By the way, just got home and after letting it sit all day and having the parking brake disengaged, it moved right away and I heard nothing abnormal as I drove the car and braked. However, upon testing on a hard stop and when the car was just about completely stopped, I heard this sound that sounded like... well the pads biting down. Is that normal to hear some sound from the rear brakes right before the car has stopped? Excuse my noob question but I just want to know! Lol

·
Premium Member
1,226 Posts
By the way, just got home and after letting it sit all day and having the parking brake disengaged, it moved right away and I heard nothing abnormal as I drove the car and braked. However, upon testing on a hard stop and when the car was just about completely stopped, I heard this sound that sounded like... well the pads biting down. Is that normal to hear some sound from the rear brakes right before the car has stopped? Excuse my noob question but I just want to know! Lol
Sounds like ABS kicking in possibly.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Sounds like ABS kicking in possibly.
I feel like you're right! And by the way, thanks again for all the cleaning tips. It's been a harsh winter for Ohio and that sealant/wax combo you suggested is still hanging on strong! ??

·
Premium Member
1,226 Posts
I feel like you're right! And by the way, thanks again for all the cleaning tips. It's been a harsh winter for Ohio and that sealant/wax combo you suggested is still hanging on strong! ??
Glad to hear that the sealant and wax are working out for you! It's probably getting a little old at this point though so hopefully you'll get a chance to wash and wax again soon.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Glad to hear that the sealant and wax are working out for you! It's probably getting a little old at this point though so hopefully you'll get a chance to wash and wax again soon.
It is and I'm trying to wait as patiently as I can for a warm up to detail it again! It's killing me to see the salt on it continuously due to how bad winter has been. Spraying if off isn't enough!

·
Registered
338 Posts
It is and I'm trying to wait as patiently as I can for a warm up to detail it again! It's killing me to see the salt on it continuously due to how bad winter has been. Spraying if off isn't enough!
Salt on a painted surface is fine, but the unpainted parts (seams, folds, welds, scratches , etc) is where the problem starts. I get ALL my cars oil sprayed. They drill holes and spray the SH*T everywhere. The car drips and stinks for a while but worth it!

Reactions: Voodoo Idol

·
Registered
2,940 Posts
Salt on a painted surface is fine, but the unpainted parts (seams, folds, welds, scratches , etc) is where the problem starts. I get ALL my cars oil sprayed. They drill holes and spray the SH*T everywhere. The car drips and stinks for a while but worth it!
Manufactures do that a lot these days anyway. Especially VW.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.