Elantra Sport Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone else had an oil analysis done on their ES?

I change the oil religiously following the severe duty schedule (every 5,000 KM) with AMSOIL Signature Series 5W-30.

During a change last October, I noticed that the drained oil seemed to have a whiff of fuel on it, so I ordered an oil testing kit. At the beginning of January I did the next oil change, and took a sample of the used oil which I sent in for analysis.

The results came back that everything looked healthy, except the fuel dilution was "SEVERE" with a % Vol of >5 - GC, causing the oil viscosity to "decrease SIGNIFICANTLY" to 7.2 cSt @ 100C.

I just did a half-interval sample last week (just over 2,500 KM on the oil), and the results just came back today. Apparently the fuel dilution is already "SEVERE" again with a % Vol >5 - GC, causing the oil viscosity to "decrease moderately" to 8.0 cSt @ 100C. I assume that 5% is the highest they can measure.

How concerned about this should I be? It's winter here, and it's been pretty cold, especially during the time of the current oil. I live close to work, so the water temperature just barely reaches normal operating temperature by the time I get there or get home. So it's ideal conditions for getting fuel into the oil. I do at least a couple hours of freeway driving every weekend, however. I check the oil level regularly and it doesn't seem to be rising... Do you think this is par for the course based on cold weather and my driving situation, or is there a problem with the engine?

I know that the 1.5T Hondas have this issue which was apparently fixed with an ECU update, presumably to make them run leaner when cold. Is there any such fix from Hyundai?

·
Registered
126 Posts
Yes, the fuel dilution issue was already wildly discussed on the bobistheoilguy.com forum. Not only Hyundai but for all DI engine.
Even Honda are needed to recall the new model Civic and CRV for this issue. But seems Hyundai didn't have any action so far.

I could smell very strong gas of my previous NA Veloster too. My current 2018 ES also got it but not quite strong. I am thinking whether need to switch to thicker oil like 5w40 instead of 5w30. Veloster turbo have already got a TSB for using 5w40 as the requirement.

But seems still no new D1G2 SN PLUS oil of 5w40 available yet on the market.

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
The TSB was updated in late 2016 to include the Elantra Sport.

Most people are using Motul 5w40, some (that can find it) are using Pennzoil 5w40, and others including myself are using Castrol Edge 5w40.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The TSB was updated in late 2016 to include the Elantra Sport.

Most people are using Motul 5w40, some (that can find it) are using Pennzoil 5w40, and others including myself are using Castrol Edge 5w40.
I see. So their solution is to use the higher viscosity 5W-40, so when it gets full of fuel it'll have the same viscosity as undiluted 5W-30.

Fresh AMSOIL Signature Series 5W-30 has a 10.3 cSt @100C. Over the course of 5,000 KM - the "severe usage conditions" limit - the viscosity dropped to 7.2 cSt @100C, a drop of 30%.

Motul 8100 X-clean 5W-40 has a 14.1 cSt @100C, so even with a viscosity drop of 30% it would be 9.9 cSt @100C, still within the specifications for 5W-30.

I guess this highlights how important it is to change your oil on time.

In the TSB you posted it mentioned a summary chart. Do you happen to have a copy of it?

I wonder, would there be any benefit of running 10W-40 or 10W-30 in the winter (when it's consistently below freezing)?

·
Registered
126 Posts
But all the above mentioned 5w40 oil are not meet the ACEA A5 requirement as stated on manual. Most of them are only A3. Also none of them meet the new API SN Plus standard which addressing for the TGDI engine LSPI issue.

That TSB was released at NOV 2016 and applied to up to year 2017 model. I will try to ask the dealer service manager for the commends during the oil change in next week.

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
But all the above mentioned 5w40 oil are not meet the ACEA A5 requirement as stated on manual. Most of them are only A3. Also none of them meet the new API SN Plus standard which addressing for the TGDI engine LSPI issue.

That TSB was released at NOV 2016 and applied to up to year 2017 model. I will try to ask the dealer service manager for the commends during the oil change in next week.
My opinion on all the fancy ratings is that if you go to any dealer and get an oil change, not a single one of them are going to put oil in the car that meets those ratings. In fact it is well documented, in the States at least, that dealers only carry 5w20 in bulk and often will put that in the engine unless you make sure they don't. No reason to be that strict on it when Hyundai clearly doesn't care.

A good, 5w40 synthetic is just fine.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I was looking for that, thank you! Do you know if this is the same one mentioned in the TSB when it says "This bulletin provides a summary chart..."? Just wondering if they're referring to the same chart you attached or if there's a new, revised version.
Not sure tbh, but that’s straight out of the manual on Hyundai’s site. Figure it should have the most recent revisions.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I don't have the document in hand but when I had my 16VT I send out a oil sample to be analyzed. It was Motul Xcess 8100 (5w-40) and changed at 4k miles. Results came back great. No breakdown in viscosity and still plenty of detergents left. I am going for a 5k oil change interval on my 18ES and send that sample. I do mainly city driving. I know some people who have gotten good sample reports on a 7k mile interval (Motul as well)

·
Registered
248 Posts
I was watching an Australian YouTuber John Cadogan (autoexpert channel) and he mentioned that long motorway drives are good to help with fuel in oil, something about the lean cruising condition and high prolonged engine heat allow the fuel to evaporate off the oil and burn away, if I'm remembering that correctly.

Also living in Aus where I never get sub-zero temps and it's generally quite warm might help? Like if you guys in winter do lots of sub ~20-30 minute drives, and potentially not a tonne of highway where the motor isn't hot for long and not also running that leaner condition it might exacerbate the dilution.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.