Elantra Sport Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
2,413 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thought I would start this thread so that those of us having fuel filling issues have a place where we can discuss it, as well as have a public place to show dealerships that there are multiple people with the problem. Hopefully we can convince Hyundai to come up with a fix.

I talked to a service advisor at my dealership today and he mentioned that one of their SUV's has the same issue (Santa Fe?) and that Hyundai issued a TSB for the filler neck. If you are experiencing this problem (fuel filler keeps clicking off before the tank is full) post in here so we can get a total count, and PLEASE tell your dealership so that they can report it to Hyundai.

Thanks!:cool:

·
Registered
16 Posts
Yeh I have to have the nozzle almost all the way out of the refiller hose to get it to stop clicking

Reactions: kbarrett20

·
Registered
28 Posts
It's happened to me once in the 2 months I've owned the car

·
Registered
98 Posts
Try speaking with Hyundai USA, see what they know on that levels since not always do dealerships pass on information as well or do anything with a sample size of issues. Instead it falls on deaf ears. Maybe on a HQ level it will get a stronger ball rolling ;)

·
Registered
45 Posts
I didn't have this happen the first fill up, but it has happened the last four times. I'll mention it next time I'm at the dealer, although it'll probably be a while.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Tank problem with 2017 elantra

Having the same problem that so many others are reporting. First fill up went fine but since then having problem filling up the tank. Dealer replaced a valve and no solution. Now they are going to remove the gas tank and "hopefully" they may be able to identify the problem...very disappointing, brand new car.

·
Registered
229 Posts
I've had this problem recently often. I just figured it was the gas station I was going to having cruddy and older equipment. Good to know that I'm not the only one.

·
Registered
2,413 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Having the same problem that so many others are reporting. First fill up went fine but since then having problem filling up the tank. Dealer replaced a valve and no solution. Now they are going to remove the gas tank and "hopefully" they may be able to identify the problem...very disappointing, brand new car.
At least your dealer is doing something, but this is not the first car that Hyundai has had this problem with. Either way, mine was doing it but I found a trick to get it to stop and that is to just not put the nozzle in all the way. Usually the nozzle has a some spiral wire around it ( / / / / ), I will put it in all the way and then back it out one of those spaces. No problems doing it that way.

Reactions: Mohkx

·
Registered
214 Posts

At least your dealer is doing something, but this is not the first car that Hyundai has had this problem with. Either way, mine was doing it but I found a trick to get it to stop and that is to just not put the nozzle in all the way. Usually the nozzle has a some spiral wire around it ( / / / / ), I will put it in all the way and then back it out one of those spaces. No problems doing it that way.
thats what ive learned to do too.

the first few fillups it would stop well before full and i was like wtf? ive never experienced that issue with any of the 15+ cars ive owned in my life.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Fuel filler nozzles have a small hole that, when the tank is 'filled', senses fluid/pressure coming back up the car's filler pipe and stops the pump.
If the fuel, while being pumped into the tank, foams up excessively this can trick the pump into shutting off prematurely.
I have ALWAYS looked at the pump while filling and I know how much fuels I can put in the car and then keep squeezing the trigger until the tank is truly full.
How many times do you need to squeeze the trigger to get a full tank?

·
Registered
2,413 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Fuel filler nozzles have a small hole that, when the tank is 'filled', senses fluid/pressure coming back up the car's filler pipe and stops the pump.
If the fuel, while being pumped into the tank, foams up excessively this can trick the pump into shutting off prematurely.
I have ALWAYS looked at the pump while filling and I know how much fuels I can put in the car and then keep squeezing the trigger until the tank is truly full.
How many times do you need to squeeze the trigger to get a full tank?
I only let it run until it stops, never top off. If you stand there and listen and you can usually tell when it's about to click off.

Reactions: Voodoo Idol

·
Registered
335 Posts
"It ain't full till the gas runs down the street!" LOL

·
Registered
2,413 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

·
Registered
16 Posts
I have a little less than 1,000 miles on mine, and this happened the very first time I filled up. Could not get it to stop clicking off. The next two times I have filled up it has not done it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I've had my Elantra Sport for 2 months, and have had this problem in 2 out of 3 of my fill ups. It is stressful to encounter problems such as these on a brand new car. I am thinking of leaving it at Hyundai tomorrow morning, but I don't want to leave my car there for days if they can't fix it. Has anyone gotten this problem fixed?

·
Registered
2,413 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I've had my Elantra Sport for 2 months, and have had this problem in 2 out of 3 of my fill ups. It is stressful to encounter problems such as these on a brand new car. I am thinking of leaving it at Hyundai tomorrow morning, but I don't want to leave my car there for days if they can't fix it. Has anyone gotten this problem fixed?
I'll be honest with you, they won't do anything. Best thing to do is take the advice from a few of us and just don't put the nozzle all the way in. Seems to solve the issue without having to deal with a dealership looking at you like an idiot.

·
Registered
335 Posts
You have to fiddle with the nozzle so the gas doesn't foam up when you fill. It foams up, goes into the little vacuum hole in the nozzle and shuts off the pump.

fwiw, I can't remember the last car I owned that the filler nozzle actually fit nicely into the gas filler pipe.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts