• Mid-grade

Votes: 9 8.0%
  • Premium

Votes: 50 44.6%
1 - 20 of 84 Posts

·
Registered
2,624 Posts
91 since day 1 because I want the extra protection in the Arizona heat and I don't care about the added costs.

But this horse has been beaten to a pulp. :p

·
Registered
12 Posts
87 Octane for me. When gas already costs $1.20/L (or $3.60 per gallon) on your average winter day here, I can't really justify the extra $0.20 per L for premium. I just pick top tier gas retailers to make up for it.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Down this rabbit hole again? 😂 I just care more about TOP TIER but, curious anyone tried ethanol free?!

·
Registered
143 Posts
Used 87 since day one, switched to 93 once with no noticeable difference.

Getting 34-35 consistently. 80% highway

Reactions: Fridder

·
Registered
286 Posts
87 for me. I’m not paying 40 dollars for a tank of 93 when I can spend 20 dollars for 87 which is specified by Hyundai to use anyway.

Not until I get a tune will I switch.

Reactions: Fridder

·
Registered
2,624 Posts
87 for me. I’m not paying 40 dollars for a tank of 93 when I can spend 20 dollars for 87 which is specified by Hyundai to use anyway.
This will largely depend on where you live though.

I find it funny how the people defending the 87 are so **** bent on using it because "Hyundai says so". They're just saying the car can run on it, they aren't saying is has to run on it...

·
Registered
286 Posts
This will largely depend on where you live though.

I find it funny how the people defending the 87 are so **** bent on using it because "Hyundai says so". They're just saying the car can run on it, they aren't saying is has to run on it...
Hey I’m not judging those that do use it. More power to you. It can definitely benefit in areas like where you live where it gets really hot. But it’s not like running 93 gives you slightly more power like fords. I filled up with 93 last week. It was 40 dollars, far from the extra 5 that everyone claims. Maybe if it gets super hot this summer I’ll run it but as of right now I’ll just stick to 87. But obviously like you said, price differs greatly by state. If I lived in SC I’d probably get 93 all the time

·
Registered
2,624 Posts
It was 40 dollars, far from the extra 5 that everyone claims.
Location, location, location. I just calculated it out, and the station where I fill up it costs me roughly $4-5 extra per tank to go premium. I almost always fill up when I am close to 1/4 tank left. Maybe $220/year which in the grand scheme of car expenses is nothing. Especially if you are modding.

·
Registered
335 Posts

Not until I get a tune will I switch.
I have never seen the price of 93 double that of 87.

·
Registered
286 Posts
I have never seen the price of 93 double that of 87.
I’ll show you my receipt next time I fill up.

87 here is 2.30-35ish. 93 is 3.35 or around there. That’s at BP and Shell. I don’t bother with QT cause their gas sucks

·
Registered
286 Posts
That's what I use, no issues.
It seems like all of my cars have gone through their fuel faster than anything else. Especially their diesel. My TDI Jetta drank it. But had I gone to BP or shell, I’d get almost 800 out of a tank vs 600-650. I only used QT for their diesel cause it was guaranteed aka if my HP fuel pump went out it was on them haha.

·
Super Moderator
1,202 Posts
Used 87 since day one, switched to 93 once with no noticeable difference.

Getting 34-35 consistently. 80% highway
There isn't supposed to be a noticeable difference. However, if you monitor timing retardation across all cylinders you will absolutely, positively see a difference between 87 and 91/93.

·
Registered
286 Posts
That's not double the price. It's not even half again more.
So it’s an exaggeration. I pay 23 a fill up usually for 87. Paid close to 35 for 93. Not that I’m hard up for money but I’ve never seen a group of people so obsessed with fuel lol. **** I had a 13 5.0 built for the track and was pushing almost 500 wheel on 87. In extremely hot climates it does help, but not required.

Also I’m willing to go out on a limb and say I put more miles down on the road than most people on this forum. Over the last two years I’ve logged just shy of 200k. That’s not including my personal vehicle. I have a general idea of how fuel effects a vehicle, especially a turbocharged GDI one. I drive a v6 ecoboost 350 transit everyday. Heavy loads (by that vehicles standards) every single day. And over those last two years it’s had regular maintenance and 87 fuel from top tier providers

·
Registered
246 Posts
95 RON (89 equivalent in the states iirc) for Australian conditions (my city described as Mediterranean climate) - top tier is such a rip here plus my motorcycles all call for 95 RON and I fill a jerry can with fuel for them every time I do a fill up of the Elantra.

·
Super Moderator
1,202 Posts
So it’s an exaggeration. I pay 23 a fill up usually for 87. Paid close to 35 for 93. Not that I’m hard up for money but I’ve never seen a group of people so obsessed with fuel lol. **** I had a 13 5.0 built for the track and was pushing almost 500 wheel on 87. In extremely hot climates it does help, but not required.

Also I’m willing to go out on a limb and say I put more miles down on the road than most people on this forum. Over the last two years I’ve logged just shy of 200k. That’s not including my personal vehicle. I have a general idea of how fuel effects a vehicle, especially a turbocharged GDI one. I drive a v6 ecoboost 350 transit everyday. Heavy loads (by that vehicles standards) every single day. And over those last two years it’s had regular maintenance and 87 fuel from top tier providers
The ecoboost also has injectors in the intake tract which keeping the valve train clean - the G4FJ does not. It's not about being obsessed with fuel, it's about engine longevity, for the 4th time.

1 - 20 of 84 Posts