• Mid-grade

Votes: 9 8.0%
  • Premium

Votes: 50 44.6%
41 - 60 of 84 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
I read on other Hyundai/Veloster forums that Hyundai actually came out a year or two ago and said that their 1.6T Gamma engine is more than fine to run at 87 however the power numbers they quote are obtained on 91 where the retardation isn't happening as knock is to a minimum. So 87 is the minimum but power suffers. How much not sure. I've been trying to find that article.

I came across a VW article where they said the same thing. Their 1.8T and GTI engines(2.0T) can run 87 fine however the power numbers on the car are obtained at 91. It makes you wonder about this for all other turbo engines on the lower end of the power spectrum.

So if this is correct it would bug me that I'm not getting the full potential of the engine by using 87. Would it be noticeable? Not sure.

I will say I'm on my third fuel up on my 2018 ES that I just bought and I felt quite a bit of more hesitation and less pull as I'm using 87. The dealership fills theirs to 91 so that's what was in my tank at new. And before you say placebo/imaginary, I hadn't even thought about fuel types until a day ago. I just slowly noticed it myself over the last week. Or I could be getting used to the acceleration lol. But it definitely hesitates more.

Fuel mileage has gotten better but now my engine is past it's break in (1200KMs) so that's to be expected. So can't speak to that. I'm going to fill to 91 tomorrow and see.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I read on other Hyundai/Veloster forums that Hyundai actually came out a year or two ago and said that their 1.6T Gamma engine is more than fine to run at 87 however the power numbers they quote are obtained on 91 where the retardation isn't happening as knock is to a minimum. So 87 is the minimum but power suffers. How much not sure. I've been trying to find that article.

I came across a VW article where they said the same thing. Their 1.8T and GTI engines(2.0T) can run 87 fine however the power numbers on the car are obtained at 91. It makes you wonder about this for all other turbo engines on the lower end of the power spectrum.

So if this is correct it would bug me that I'm not getting the full potential of the engine by using 87. Would it be noticeable? Not sure.

I will say I'm on my third fuel up on my 2018 ES that I just bought and I felt quite a bit of more hesitation and less pull as I'm using 87. The dealership fills theirs to 91 so that's what was in my tank at new. And before you say placebo/imaginary, I hadn't even thought about fuel types until a day ago. I just slowly noticed it myself over the last week. Or I could be getting used to the acceleration lol. But it definitely hesitates more.

Fuel mileage has gotten better but now my engine is past it's break in (1200KMs) so that's to be expected. So can't speak to that. I'm going to fill to 91 tomorrow and see.
Oh yeah. I was in the VW scene for a long while. I had a 2.0T 2010 jetta wolfsburg edition 6MT. It was sick. However, when you pop the fuel cap, just like my SI, it says PREMIUM (91) REQUIRED.

They're not going to leave you SOL if all the gas you can find is 87. But the engine map with the HP/TQ/MPG quoted is for 91 on the cars that say PREMIUM REQUIRED.

The cars, like ours, that say 87 fuel is fine, the power/tq/MPG numbers SHOULD be what's quoted for 87. If it says "91 PREMIUM RECOMMENDED," then it's the same thing as 91 REQUIRED. The re-map won't be as drastic.

Expect knocking over time if you use 87 on a motor that says 91 REQUIRED. I'd do it in a pinch, but i've ONLY ever ran 91 in my SI and 91 in my VW's that had a turbo.

In this car, I think i'll go 87, well 89 here in TX.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I am also using 87 and notice the jerkiness at different rpms. I wonder how much of this could be blamed on the possible spark plug gap issue on other threads here or is 91/93 the fix...

·
Registered
13 Posts
I wondered that myself, thats why I chose to try the easier one first and It seemed to clear up any issues. Second tank of premium and the car drives buttery smooth.

·
Registered
15 Posts
First off, marketing. Hyundai knows people will steer away from a car that say "Premium gas only." Same goes for other manufacturers. The ES can definitely run on 87 but the ECU will retard the timing to prevent knock thus the HP output would be lower than running on 91+. Obviously it is not a big margin but to get the most out of our engines, 91+ is the way to go. Plus our manuals does mention the use of 91+ octane :)
Of courses the masses wouldn't care. If the car can run on 87, they're all happy. At the end of the day, it's personal preference; nobody is right or wrong.

·
Registered
35 Posts
With ethanol free you will get slightly better gas mileage as ethanol's btu/gallon is lower than gasoline. It's thermodynamics
If the octane is the same you will not see any other change in how engine operates

·
Registered
10 Posts
I was using regular shell but once I switched to shell premium, I was getting more fuel range and noticed the car was driving better if that makes sense lol. Also @ the time I was using regular shell I was using Pennzoil Ultra Platnium Oil but once I switched oil to Motul I switched to premium too. Not sure if that makes a difference or not.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I agree on the higher range on premium. I will stick with premium for the better response anyway.

·
Registered
2019 ES 6mt
22 Posts
What about fuel additives.? is fuel system or injector cleaner a good idea every 10K miles, or would you do this more often?

·
Registered
188 Posts
If you use top tier gas they will keep the fuel system clean. Adding additional additives won't be needed and likely won't do much of anything to help with carbon buildup.

·
Registered
253 Posts
If you use top tier gas they will keep the fuel system clean. Adding additional additives won't be needed and likely won't do much of anything to help with carbon buildup.
It's GDI it will not clean your valves just bye putting good fuel. You have to perform basically like top engine cleaning! every Hyundai dealership perform this as a maintenance

41 - 60 of 84 Posts