• Mid-grade

Votes: 9 8.0%
  • Premium

Votes: 50 44.6%
61 - 80 of 84 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
It's GDI it will not clean your valves just bye putting good fuel. You have to perform basically like top engine cleaning! every Hyundai dealership perform this as a maintenance
I said fuel system, not valves. And isn't the fuel additive treatment from Hyundai specifically for those who can't find top tier fuels?

·
Registered
121 Posts
I filled up with premium (93 here) for my first fill up and will continue to do so, don't care if its "tuned" for 87, its a turbo car and its getting the good stuff. I even ran back to back bottles of 104+ PRO Injection cleaner in too, just so I know its been cleaned up. Did it help, well, I got 36.7 mpg going from Chicagoland to Grandville MI and back, doing 70-75 mph.

·
Registered
121 Posts
87 for me. I’m not paying 40 dollars for a tank of 93 when I can spend 20 dollars for 87 which is specified by Hyundai to use anyway.

Not until I get a tune will I switch.

Where in the **** are you getting gas where 87 is 50% the price of 93:confused:

·
Registered
253 Posts
It's GDI it will not clean your valves just bye putting good fuel. You have to perform basically like top engine cleaning! every Hyundai dealership perform this as a maintenance
I said fuel system, not valves. And isn't the fuel additive treatment from Hyundai specifically for those who can't find top tier fuels?
No! It's for cleaning first part is for clean the injectors second part is for cleaning the carbon off the valves.

·
Registered
2,624 Posts
No! It's for cleaning first part is for clean the injectors second part is for cleaning the carbon off the valves.
Won't do anything for the back of the valves though that get caked in crap from the PCV system.

·
Registered
49 Posts
the fuel additive treatment is for people who can't or don't use top tier fuel........you are confusing it with the fuel induction system treatment (or whatever its called) which is when they spray the **** through the intake to clean up the valves etc.

as for fuel usage. i picked my car up with what i figured was a full tank of 87 and thats what i've continued to use for the first 3200km of its life. Always top tier (i don't even know if my local stations get non-top tier) i'm keeping track of my mileage and noting the behaviours and performance of the car. soon i'm going to switch to premium 91 octane and see if anything changes and whether its worth it. I figure the cost difference for me will be about $350 over a year, so the cost is negligible. At the end of the day this is mainly a highway commuter for my wife and its doesn't make sense to me to burn away premium if its not going to do anything drastic.
This topic is really beaten to death around any "sporty" econo car, and since Hyundai says it works fine on 87 then its doesn't bother me the smallest bit to use it, and people on the internet with more money than me aren't going to change my mind for me! Lmao.

·
Registered
2,624 Posts
This topic is really beaten to death around any "sporty" econo car, and since Hyundai says it works fine on 87 then its doesn't bother me the smallest bit to use it, and people on the internet with more money than me aren't going to change my mind for me! Lmao.
It always starts an argument in my facebook group so octane discussions are banned. :p Hyundai says it will run on 87 and that's fine for most people using it as a daily commuter and not much else. Data logs have shown the car pulls timing a lot while running it though. As you said, not much extra money to run premium to avoid that. When it comes down to it, people will do what they want.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Won't do anything for the back of the valves though that get caked in crap from the PCV system.
Actually it does! We did a before and after and it did clean the valves. We removed the intake and it did a really good job!

·
Registered
34 Posts
So I'm having some sputtering issues at 4k and above in third and 4th gears. The car kind of jerks and seems like it is holding me back when I floor it. The rpm gauge jumps around too. Anyone had any of these issues? Like you can feel the car jerking you back n forth when you floor it after 4k rpm. I'm at dealer and they said it sounds normal for a turbo Hyundai. Can anyone explain or help me to understand this issue. I'm driving a 6spd manual

·
Registered
121 Posts
I've been running 93 in my car since I got it back on the day before St. Patrick's Day but come winter I may switch to 87 because of how cold and dense the air is going to be, don't really see the need to run the good stuff when its cold and snowy outside, the car isn't going to be put to the test too much. What do you guys "in the know" think about this thought process:confused:

·
Registered
2,624 Posts
So I'm having some sputtering issues at 4k and above in third and 4th gears. The car kind of jerks and seems like it is holding me back when I floor it. The rpm gauge jumps around too. Anyone had any of these issues? Like you can feel the car jerking you back n forth when you floor it after 4k rpm. I'm at dealer and they said it sounds normal for a turbo Hyundai. Can anyone explain or help me to understand this issue. I'm driving a 6spd manual
What fuel are you running? No engine lights? Could be a bad boost control solenoid, the stock ones are crap.

·
Super Moderator
1,202 Posts
I've been running 93 in my car since I got it back on the day before St. Patrick's Day but come winter I may switch to 87 because of how cold and dense the air is going to be, don't really see the need to run the good stuff when its cold and snowy outside, the car isn't going to be put to the test too much. What do you guys "in the know" think about this thought process:confused:
Running 93 isn't really for performance - it's for engine longevity. Only running it half of the time doesn't really give you much benefit.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Running 93 isn't really for performance - it's for engine longevity. Only running it half of the time doesn't really give you much benefit.

Engine longevity, elaborate:confused:

·
Registered
49 Posts
Engine longevity, elaborate:confused:
no need to be be persuaded by everyone who claims higher octane is a wonder drug for our cars. more power, more reliability, engine longevity blah blah blah......it was designed to run on 87, LOTS of people run it with no issues. Run whatever makes you feel good.
I've run 87 for 5000km and have run 91 for the next 5000km (first 10k of the cars life) and i really didn't notice a difference. Going to switch back to 87 again and observe driveability and mileage some more and see if it changes. My mileage seemed a bit better with 91, which has no ethanol in my area while most of the 87 has "up to 10%" ethanol as posted on the pumps. The difference isn't worth the extra price if we are talking purely about dollars and cents, if it was even due to the fuel.

·
Registered
2,624 Posts
no need to be be persuaded by everyone who claims higher octane is a wonder drug for our cars. more power, more reliability, engine longevity blah blah blah......it was designed to run on 87, LOTS of people run it with no issues. Run whatever makes you feel good.
I've run 87 for 5000km and have run 91 for the next 5000km (first 10k of the cars life) and i really didn't notice a difference. Going to switch back to 87 again and observe driveability and mileage some more and see if it changes. My mileage seemed a bit better with 91, which has no ethanol in my area while most of the 87 has "up to 10%" ethanol as posted on the pumps. The difference isn't worth the extra price if we are talking purely about dollars and cents, if it was even due to the fuel.
Running premium octane (91+) will not net you any extra power, but the car does run better on it and I have seen datalogs to prove it. This car will pull timing for just about anything and it most definitely does so when you run 87. I shutter to think just what it's doing on a hot day. I live in Arizona where it's 115F right now and I can still feel it pulling timing even though I run 91 exclusively now having switched back from running E30. As far as extra price goes, talking pennies in the long run. For me it's like $20 a month. Not enough to fuss over and the smoother driveability is worth it to me. But to each their own.

·
Registered
140 Posts
I second r1600, the car runs horribly on 87. Feels like it needs an extra few seconds to kick into gear, boost doesn't feel as strong through the rooms either, didn't think there was much of a difference but really there is

·
Registered
121 Posts
Well I'm not worried about the price difference either but was just thinking outloud about winter driveability, that's all.

·
Super Moderator
1,202 Posts
The difference is in:

1. knock. Octane is a measure of the fuel's resistance to knock. Lower octane equals more knock - that's a fact. GDI motors are prone to knock - also a fact. Turbocharged GDI motors are even more prone to knock as well as "super knock" (i.e. LSPI) which can cause catastrophic failure - also a fact. The ES uses an adaptive ECU, meaning it can change operating parameters, including timing, on the fly - fact. This ECU will retard timing when it detects knock - fact.

2. carbon deposits. Because these are GDI motors, no fuel washes over the intake valves - fact. Because no fuel washes over the intake valves they don't get cleaned the way they do in non-GDI motors, so carbon deposits will build up far faster on the intake valves in a GDI car compared to a non-GDI car - fact. Higher octane fuel will leave fewer carbon deposits on the intake valves - fact. Eventually carbon deposits will cause the intake valves to not seat/seal properly during combustion, robbing the car of power over time - fact.

It's not a wonder drug - no one is claiming that it is. However, it most definitely helps with engine longevity and power delivery.

The car isn't "designed to run on 87". It can run on 87, but that is simply the minimum octane rating recommended by the manufacturer. It will absolutely run more efficiently on higher octanes.

61 - 80 of 84 Posts