What gas/fuel grade do you use?

• Regular

Votes: 55 47.0%
  • Mid-grade

Votes: 10 8.5%
  • Premium

Votes: 52 44.4%
81 - 86 of 86 Posts
Its not science when talking about detonation, the more boost you run your cylinder pressure increases and your cylinder temperature gets hotter therefore detonation occurs, this is when higher octane comes into effect, the higher the octane the slower the fuel burns therefore less detonation(knock). 93 octane is the highest octane you can get, other than E85, you can go race fuel the problem with race fuel is it is bad for your O2 sensors because of the lead.

I was always told that if it has a turbo or a supercharger, you should run higher octane. Never really questioned why, it just seemed to make sense. I do run 93 in my 18 ES and I live in south Florida.

I found this article on the subject and it also made sense. I’ll post it below but in short: our engine is absolutely fine with 87, but it may have a noticeable (albeit, slight) benefit versus running 93 in a non-turbo engine, which would have no impact whatsoever.

Simply put, the car will pull less timing for anything it feels like when you run higher octane. And this car will pull timing for A LOT of things. Including low fuel level in the tank. It will run smoother when it doesn't have to pull so much timing. Premium fuel won't add any power, but it will prevent the ECU from taking it away.

Simply put, the car will pull less timing for anything it feels like when you run higher octane. And this car will pull timing for A LOT of things. Including low fuel level in the tank. It will run smoother when it doesn't have to pull so much timing. Premium fuel won't add any power, but it will prevent the ECU from taking it away.
I did read that somewhere it will pull timing around 1/4 tank left, never heard of this before. Is this the case even with 93?

81 - 86 of 86 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.