Elantra Sport Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I am still quite new to modifying/tuning in general, I know the basics. (Like what it does and such). But I had a few questions hopefully people can answer for me

1 - I was wanting to buy a HKS BOV from sxthelement, would I need any other parts or just the flange and BOV?

2 - Would a stock exaust be fine in the future if I want more power from tuning/boltons? It sounds so nice I would love to keep it, if I can possibly go Cat-less with the stock exaust that would be so nice to get that extra power gain

3 - Any good tires for the summer I can purchase? Stock ons are just garbage beyond belief I can not even grip well in rain, or when I need that extra speed off the line

4 - Has people been getting paint chips a bunch? I have had my car since August and I have 2 stone chips on the hood and what looks like a door hit the side of my door on the other that went extremely deep (Right to steel for every chip it is terrible and I may have cried:(

If anyone can answer any of these I would be blessed! Thanks!

Hamilton, On
Josh R
'18 DCT ES

·
Registered
336 Posts
For #2, you could keep everything stock and just do a chip tune and you would see gains. Just know that you'll have to run 91 octane or higher from then on out as a requirement. Adding a modified airbox would see some gains as well whilst keeping everything stock. For me, I'm not doing any mods on this car as I bought it specifically for the long warranty. I'm aware of the Magnuson–Moss Warranty Act, but in reality good luck trying to convince the dealer that a specific mod did/didn't cause an issue when going in for a warranty claim.

For #3, I'm a big fan of Michelin Pilot Sports. I'm currently running AS3+ and it is a significant upgrade from the stock Hankook tires.

For #4, it's been discussed in this forum that the paint is definitely easily chipped. I have a clearbra installed in the front and rear bumper so I don't have such issues - definitely worth it.

Congrats and welcome!

·
Registered
2,858 Posts
1 - I was wanting to buy a HKS BOV from sxthelement, would I need any other parts or just the flange and BOV?
Nope, that's all you need.

2 - Would a stock exaust be fine in the future if I want more power from tuning/boltons? It sounds so nice I would love to keep it, if I can possibly go Cat-less with the stock exaust that would be so nice to get that extra power gain
The stock muffler is heavy and restrictive, but a cat delete would help a little. Keep in mind the stock ECU has power limiters so you can throw everything at the car and still only make an extra 10-15hp over stock. As stated above, a tune is your best bet to get good gains with little effort.

3 - Any good tires for the summer I can purchase? Stock ons are just garbage beyond belief I can not even grip well in rain, or when I need that extra speed off the line
I am currently using Firestone Firehawk Indy 500's and swear by them. Great dry grip, no complaints in the wet. 340 treadwear is good for grip but they don't wear as quick as you would think. And they can be had for really cheap. I believe they are just a re-branded Bridgestone RE003.

4 - Has people been getting paint chips a bunch? I have had my car since August and I have 2 stone chips on the hood and what looks like a door hit the side of my door on the other that went extremely deep (Right to steel for every chip it is terrible and I may have cried:(
Most new cars will do this these days as they use water based paint. My recommendation for anyone buying a new car is to invest the $300-500 and get paint protection film (clear bra) put on the front of the car. Will save you a headache in the long run.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Just be weary about the BOV from what I hear, most if not all, cause a check engine light. Some say its a hit or miss and others will say to acquire the MAC solenoid because it MIGHT alleviate the trigger of the light. I'm still waiting on my order to come in and now I'm on the fence about installing it. I bought it already(shrug my shoulders) so... I'll know by next week or so.
I asked on Facebook and it seems there's no way around it besides getting a tune and deleting that code. I would like to hear more from people who have BOV on a stock tune and what they did to help the check engine light.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

The stock muffler is heavy and restrictive, but a cat delete would help a little. Keep in mind the stock ECU has power limiters so you can throw everything at the car and still only make an extra 10-15hp over stock. As stated above, a tune is your best bet to get good gains with little effort.

I am currently using Firestone Firehawk Indy 500's and swear by them. Great dry grip, no complaints in the wet. 340 treadwear is good for grip but they don't wear as quick as you would think. And they can be had for really cheap. I believe they are just a re-branded Bridgestone RE003.

Most new cars will do this these days as they use water based paint. My recommendation for anyone buying a new car is to invest the $300-500 and get paint protection film (clear bra) put on the front of the car. Will save you a headache in the long run.

I'm sorry if it seems like dumb questions but if I did the following would it make a huge difference if I kept stock exhaust (Strictly for sound)

- Short Ram Intake
- Charge Pipes
- Intercooler
- BOV
-Wastegate
-LAP3 Tune (Switchable between 87-94 Octane)

Thank you for the help :)

·
Registered
2,858 Posts
I'm sorry if it seems like dumb questions but if I did the following would it make a huge difference if I kept stock exhaust (Strictly for sound)

- Short Ram Intake
- Charge Pipes
- Intercooler
- BOV
-Wastegate
-LAP3 Tune (Switchable between 87-94 Octane)

Thank you for the help :)
The only Lap3 tune that has switchable maps is their Pro Tuner system. Their regular ECU Tune is not switchable. As far as numbers, I would advise contacting David Chung at Lap3 as he can give you a better idea of what to expect.

·
Registered
39 Posts

So, I want to keep mine stock, but I would be interested in adding bolt-on parts enough to hit the limiters. I read somewhere on here I believe that all you would need to do that is the SRI. You wouldn't need to do any exhaust work. Can someone confirm if that sounds right?

I also wanted a deeper exhaust sound, not necessarily louder, so I'm assuming if I added an SRI, then only an axle back exhaust would be necessary for sound, as no point in getting a catback because it wouldn't add any extra power.

And, for states to run emission inspections, removing a cat would fail the inspection i assume, correct?

·
Registered
2,858 Posts
So, I want to keep mine stock, but I would be interested in adding bolt-on parts enough to hit the limiters. I read somewhere on here I believe that all you would need to do that is the SRI. You wouldn't need to do any exhaust work. Can someone confirm if that sounds right?

I also wanted a deeper exhaust sound, not necessarily louder, so I'm assuming if I added an SRI, then only an axle back exhaust would be necessary for sound, as no point in getting a catback because it wouldn't add any extra power.

And, for states to run emission inspections, removing a cat would fail the inspection i assume, correct?
An intake and muffler delete will basically get you to the factory limiters. Removing cats can potentially lead to failing an emissions test. Depends on how they do the inspection/testing. Sniffer and visual test will likely fail. If they only read for OBD codes, then you can delete the 2nd cat and not trigger any.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts