Elantra Sport Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello!

I bought my 2018 ES w/ DCT in September of last year with about 14k on the engine. Only at 16.5k now as the second owner. This is only my second vehicle in life and I'm coming from a 2010 Nissan Sentra SR w/ CVT. I've been learning about the car quite a bit since I bought it but have run into some things I believe may be issues if anyone can help me sort it out? I live in NY suburbs if the temperature/driving conditions are helpful to your insight.

Infotainment
1) Heavy lag on reverse camera start-up. I always let the RPM's drop before shifting into gear (5 minutes). Not a consistent problem at all but I do run into it once every couple weeks since I received the car.

2) Android Auto sometimes disconnects and refuses to re-connect even with manual usb ejections on both ends. Will flash on top of screen that USB is connecting over and over to no avail. This issue only happened once within the first few months, but has been happening once every few days now.

Engine/Transmission/Programming?
3) Within the first mile at least of every drive I've noticed that the car delays to upshift. It will rev above where the drive mode normally shifts OR delays my input of upshift through the paddles. This leads to a jerky-ness in the car (especially in lower gears) and feels like much more of a kick when comparing to gunning it in sport mode. It's much better fresh after an oil change but has been progressively more noticeable over time and always present after ignition.

4) My ES relatively consistently automatically shifts or doesn't shift. For example, I'll be in 3rd gear at 2800RPM then hit upshift paddle but the car will move to 5th gear. Or I won't hit it at all and the car will shift the 4th by itself. I sometimes even slap a paddle with the force of 1000 suns and the gear won't change at all. This has been more noticeable recently but again always present.

5) When shifting (more noticeable with paddles and when cold) the car will drop to the new gear's RPM's, but stay there regardless of throttle input for a couple seconds before increasing. This happens everywhere over the rev range and is the most consistent and noticeable problem.

I apologize if any of these are just common inconveniences that exist within cars that aren't running on a CVT transmission! Thank you to anyone with insight on this :)

·
Registered
2020 ES/DCT
27 Posts
@Voodoo Idol - I have yes! A few different ones that work in my home just fine, but same issue in the car. Could it be the car's USB port?
Not to harp on the USB cable thing but it really is finicky.
For example any of my cables that are rated for dash charging on my One+ will not work for android auto.
I tried like 5 or 6 of may cables till one worked.

·
Registered
2018 Hyundai Elantra Sport DCT w/TECH
239 Posts
Hmm, had my 18 ES DCT w tech since new, but I have experienced none of the problems listed by you. At times the back up camera will remain on for some seconds after shifting from R into D, but this is the only thing I have experienced.
Have you tried to reset the head unit? As far as the gearbox goes, I'd ask the dealer to reset the control unit. Good luck and let us know 👍

·
Super Moderator
1,171 Posts
Just because they worked fine for charging in your house doesn't mean they're going to work for Android auto. I've found that, especially when using a phone mount, any problems a cable might be experiencing are exacerbated by all the jostling around they get when connected to a phone on a mount in a car. I've also had 2 USB/charge ports go bad in phones because of this same issue. What I have found is that you should never mount your phone landscape and connect it to a USB cable for Android Auto - this will kill cords and charge ports way faster than you may think. Portrait orientation will last much longer but is also not infallible.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I am completely with you on the laggy infotainment system. Mine is in a awful state. But like you said, Sometimes itĺl work great, a lot of other times, Itĺl work great after I drive for ~10 min

1 - 7 of 7 Posts