Elantra Sport Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Finally found a CPO at about the price I'd want to pay...there aren't any pictures on the site, but the sales guy sent me the photos, and it looks decent. Has window tint which is perfect for me, and dealer claims car to be one owner but CF says two, but still CPO.

Your Auto Advocate (on Youtube) says that the price is slightly high because it just hit inventory not that long ago, but compared to everything I see, its in the ball park, though I think I would push to negotiate it down a little just because we know dealers make more $ on used cars than new.

Would a private party inspection be advised like LemonSquad? I would be headed to the dealer tomorrow, which is about 80 miles north of me. TIA

·
Registered
275 Posts
IMHO if it is certified pre-owned by Hyundai then I wouldn't bother with PPI. The factory warranty coverage eliminates risk.

Good luck! It's not common to find the six speed manual w/ the premium package.

Reactions: got-rice

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
IMHO if it is certified pre-owned by Hyundai then I wouldn't bother with PPI. The factory warranty coverage eliminates risk.

Good luck! It's not common to find the six speed manual w/ the premium package.
Yeah, I was thinking that the CPO is a piece of mind...silver is the color I wanted and it is already tinted. OTOH, it doesn't have the PIO options I would've liked like the bumper protector and cargo net, but beggars can't be choosers.

I have found a few 6MT with PPs around So Cal though most have sold around me before I had the chance to check them out. I'm 80 or so miles away from this dealer so I don't think I would buy the car tomorrow (have an appointment scheduled). If I buy it, I would likely just finance through my CU. They wanted me to trade my Corolla in but the of course was pretty lowball.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I went last night to take a look at the car. The dealer actually closed at 6, but the salesperson was willing to let me take a spin in it. Car looked good, well kept, only issue that was obvious was the weather stripping on the driver door; it was making noise and coming off. Not a huge deal but warrantable and something the dealer would need to take care of before selling. Overall, I did like it, and got a price quote (around $18K OTD); its at the top of my list but I think I would grind a little of the price.

I also did test drive a 2021 Sonata as well...the 3 year maintenance is very compelling, but I really want to stay with a stick. My other thought would be just to lease a new Hyundai if I decide against a used ES. I was only at the dealer for around 45 minutes since the lady was staying after hours, and I was not ready to sign the papers yet.

·
Registered
2,469 Posts
I paid $18,960 out the door for my brand new '17 without the premium package. I'd say $18k used might be a couple grand high.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I paid $18,960 out the door for my brand new '17 without the premium package. I'd say $18k used might be a couple grand high.
Like I said, this one has the PP (because I want the moonroof and options), but yeah, $18K OTD is slightly high. I definitely will try to negotiate; there was another CPO in black that looked like a lease return with the package here too in California a few months ago going that was lowered to $15999 ish before it looked like it sold.

Right before everything got shut down with COVID, I took a look at a 2018 6MT in silver at Carmax; listed for a tad under 18K, I passed and sometimes regretted it because I really like that particular car but it didn't have the CPO warranty that I would want in the long run.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Like I said, this one has the PP (because I want the moonroof and options), but yeah, $18K OTD is slightly high. I definitely will try to negotiate; there was another CPO in black that looked like a lease return with the package here too in California a few months ago going that was lowered to $15999 ish before it looked like it sold.

Right before everything got shut down with COVID, I took a look at a 2018 6MT in silver at Carmax; listed for a tad under 18K, I passed and sometimes regretted it because I really like that particular car but it didn't have the CPO warranty that I would want in the long run.
I paid 19.5 for my 2017 PP CPO w/ 25k miles. I needed a car as my previous one was being lemon lawed and I also grabbed the CPO wrap extending 99% of the bumper-to-bumper to 10 years. These are somehow still inflated prices, mostly because the used car market is nuts still. The features are worth it to me though.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Looks like I'll be buying the car (anyone want a Corolla XRS?) if all goes through (Negotiated with the sales guy via email/text). We agreed on a price less than $18K OTD. I tried going lower, but honestly this is pretty much the ES that I wanted to get new. It doesn't have a few accessories that I wanted (cargo net, bumper film); those aren't deal breakers, but it has tinted windows that I want, and the original owner put LED lights in the interior dome which would've been something I would've done.

·
Registered
2,469 Posts
Looks like I'll be buying the car (anyone want a Corolla XRS?) if all goes through (Negotiated with the sales guy via email/text). We agreed on a price less than $18K OTD. I tried going lower, but honestly this is pretty much the ES that I wanted to get new. It doesn't have a few accessories that I wanted (cargo net, bumper film); those aren't deal breakers, but it has tinted windows that I want, and the original owner put LED lights in the interior dome which would've been something I would've done.
What year XRS? Huge difference between a desirable one and not desirable depending on the year lol

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
What year XRS? Huge difference between a desirable one and not desirable depending on the year lol
Unfortunately I have an 09 XRS with the Camry motor that's pretty much a 4 door Scion tC, and not the older one with the Celica GT-S/"Lotus" motor.

I'm also thinking about grabbing an extended factory warranty because I might just keep this as long as my Toyota. I may also consider getting a second car in the future, either a fun weekend whatever car (like a 86 or Miata) or something that I can lease for cheap.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
And that's why the ES is a great upgrade for me since the 09-10 XRSs were pretty dull in performance. I stuck it out because I needed to save money while talking myself out of buying other cars during the years (Almost wanted to get a Fiesta ST). I can't complain about the Corolla, its been pretty reliable though I got it because it was good deal at the time.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts