Elantra Sport Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Pictures attached.

The tube coming from below I just kind of routed back into the engine bay.. I may put a filter or something on it, or route it more to the outside of the car, its SUPER loud right now.
I routed the small filter under the engine cover, so you can see it peeking out in the photos.

Install took about 20 minutes, with a call to Tyson to check on that hose situation.

Looking forward to when the ECU adapts, as it doesnt really seem much different right now... although I was with the wife and kid all day, and dont really wanna hear their chattering while Im testing it out.. lol

Attachments

·
Registered
263 Posts
Pictures attached.

The tube coming from below I just kind of routed back into the engine bay.. I may put a filter or something on it, or route it more to the outside of the car, its SUPER loud right now.
I routed the small filter under the engine cover, so you can see it peeking out in the photos.

Install took about 20 minutes, with a call to Tyson to check on that hose situation.

Looking forward to when the ECU adapts, as it doesnt really seem much different right now... although I was with the wife and kid all day, and dont really wanna hear their chattering while Im testing it out.. lol
Don't put a filter on that diverter valve tube.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Okie doke. Any other recommendations? Its just kinda... chillin in the engine bay right now.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Gotcha... Ill move it around a bit. Thanks!

Reactions: [email protected]

·
Registered
88 Posts
People disconnected that tube on VTs stock intake to give a much more pronounced BOV sound for like $2, just had to cap the little diverter inlet thing on the intake pipe. The post above about rerouting it downward is perfect, just do not kink the hose or block it in any way.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Is your car manual or dct? I tried a longer hose, it didn't make any difference in sound.

I am running the hose plugged in now (stock intake), but with a cone filter similar to the big gulp. I still have the bov sound but it's deeper in tone and not as loud since it happens inside of the intake.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Would you mind being more specific about those massive benefits of having the hose unplugged? So far all turbo cars have this design. If it's hot air you're concerned with going back in, then why would that matter if the air goes into the turbo from there anyway where it gets even hotter. If I am missing something, I would definitely like to know more.

·
Registered
228 Posts
That air which is vented out when it's unplugged is what helps keep some pressure inside of the system and reduce turbo lag when you shift so it doesn't build boost from scratch every time.

In both instances it's the same while you're in gear. But this lag is pretty noticeable with dct as the car is not as quick to pick back up after gear change. I am not knocking on your intake or anything. This is strictly related to the hose situation. Everywhere I read they say it's always better to keep the dv plugged in.

P.S. Not trying to start a debate here, just want people to do their research. I think it's a mistake unplugging it.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Well, I respect the fact that you are at least willing to discuss this without trying to shut this down.

This isn't my personal opinion. I watched this also and it makes a whole lot of sense.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
This subject has been covered plenty. I have a full write up on it located here

http://www.elantrasport.com/forum/10-engine-technical-discussion/1217-pcv-bovs-intakes-information.html

Most applications use a recirculating design for NVH reasons. Soccer moms want to drive a car, not hear it.

Tyson
In that post, it says to cap the port on the intake where the BOV tube connects.. the big gulp has no such hole or port... Were you talking about another product or application there?

·
Registered
2,413 Posts
Soccer moms want to drive a car, not hear it.
Some of us have grown out of that faze and just want a quick car without all the loudness. Hence why I have waited for a true catback exhaust that's not loud as **** and why my intake will have a port for the recirc. You can in fact have a nice car without being obnoxious.

·
Registered
263 Posts
This subject has been covered plenty. I have a full write up on it located here

http://www.elantrasport.com/forum/10-engine-technical-discussion/1217-pcv-bovs-intakes-information.html

Most applications use a recirculating design for NVH reasons. Soccer moms want to drive a car, not hear it.

Tyson
In that post, it says to cap the port on the intake where the BOV tube connects.. the big gulp has no such hole or port... Were you talking about another product or application there?
He was talking about the stock intake tube.

·
Registered
228 Posts
For anyone still on the fence about the diverter valve disconnected, take a look at this video as well. Around the 3 minute mark it talks about how diverter valves should not be used to vent out. If you want to vent out, you need a proper bov. Otherwise leave that thing plugged in! That psshhh sound can be achieved the proper way just with a cone filter.

youtu.be/bsy9hJic7cQ

·
Registered
228 Posts
You're taking this a bit too personally. Let people just watch those videos and draw their own conclusions. Maf or no Maf, my car ran more sluggish after each gear shift with dv venting out rather than plugged in. I had no idea exactly why until I watched that mythbusters video. I am not trying to disrespect your work in any way. You need to allow free discussion without getting all defensive. If you got facts and can prove your statements, post about it. So far all you've done is refer me to your old thread and say how I am misinforming people. I am only here to help these guys best that I can, not bash anyone.

Also, in my opinion, it sounds odd when it vents out, especially with the tube removed. It's like a bunch of sneezes than a nice deep psshhh. Those who heard it know it.

How can one argue when this recirc. system is found on 100% of turbo cars of all performance levels. It has nothing to do with keeping soccer moms happy. No misinformation here. Look at the injen intake, they have a valve on the pipe to plug dv back in. I am pretty sure those guys know what they are doing.

·
Registered
83 Posts
@TheShaddix; I appreciate your posts on exhaust and the muffler delete experience you had, but I find it strange that you seem so determined to prove Tork wrong on this diverter valve topic. There are plenty of videos on the internet speaking on generalities, and the ones you linked are doing just that, giving generalities. The Tork team has worked with our SPECIFIC engine, and has years of experience working on performance parts for Korean cars, on top of their industry experience in general. I don't understand why you refute their data backed results and experience.

Again, I really do appreciate many of your posts, this isn't anything against you, I just don't understand why we wouldn't trust Tork's experience on this one.

·
Registered
88 Posts
@TheShaddix; I appreciate your posts on exhaust and the muffler delete experience you had, but I find it strange that you seem so determined to prove Tork wrong on this diverter valve topic. There are plenty of videos on the internet speaking on generalities, and the ones you linked are doing just that, giving generalities. The Tork team has worked with our SPECIFIC engine, and has years of experience working on performance parts for Korean cars, on top of their industry experience in general. I don't understand why you refute their data backed results and experience.

Again, I really do appreciate many of your posts, this isn't anything against you, I just don't understand why we wouldn't trust Tork's experience on this one.
Same question as above.

Tork has been working on this engine for years on the VT forums, with one specifically about this topic spanning 32 pages long since 2012... They ain't brand new to it lol. Injen makes mass market mods, where as tork is specialized.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Honestly, I just think this car with dct runs better with the recirc system left intact (plugged in). What I am referring to is strictly related to how the car feels after shifting into next gear. I ran it back and forth trying to figure out what's going on. It felt like the car had less initial torque in the next gear. Did some reading on it. Reattached the hose, fixed the issue. The car felt like it had more power to start with for the next gear. Hence my trying to convince people to at least consider this and do their own research on the topic. I don't argue anything unless there is a good reason.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Removing the hose? Don't forget to seal that intake valve. When you drive it the best way to notice is under full throttle and shift somewhere near redline. Typically, the car has almost seamless acceleration from factory. With the hose unplugged, 2nd to 3rd to 4th gears is when I noticed it being abrupt after each shift before it builds back up. It's quite subtle, but it bugged me. I'll leave this whole topic alone if I am wrong. But I'll never disconnect my recirc again.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts