Elantra Sport Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I was sitting at a stop light today (completely stopped) and suddenly, WHAM! Some 16 year old girl in a jeep liberty slammed into me, no brakes and nothing I could do. Not only is the rear of the car destroyed but I got shoved under the truck I was behind and wrecked the front end too. So much for my new ride, I only had it for 3 weeks. Pissed.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,413 Posts
That's two out now with nearly identical incidents. Hopefully the insurance company treats you as kindly as they did the other guy.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Man, that sucks :( Hope you are okay, but definitely get checked out and take her insurance to town for everything, so she learns and tells all her friends to be careful as well...

I'm guessing doing one thing or another on the phone while driving..

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Fortunately nobody was seriously injured, I was and still am a little sore but I got checked out at the ER and nothing appears to be injured. Everyone else walked away just fine and the other 2 vehicles were able to drive away but sadly my ES did not survive. I'm a little worried that despite it being her fault entirely that insurance is gonna leave me short in the end. I owed 25k, when I traded up the dealer wouldn't pay off my previous loan in full. So for now I'm playing the waiting game and driving my recently restored 87 Chevy truck which wouldn't bother me except it's hot out and the truck has no AC. Anyway, thanks for the kind words, I'll post some details on how things turn out.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Fortunately nobody was seriously injured, I was and still am a little sore but I got checked out at the ER and nothing appears to be injured. Everyone else walked away just fine and the other 2 vehicles were able to drive away but sadly my ES did not survive. I'm a little worried that despite it being her fault entirely that insurance is gonna leave me short in the end. I owed 25k, when I traded up the dealer wouldn't pay off my previous loan in full. So for now I'm playing the waiting game and driving my recently restored 87 Chevy truck which wouldn't bother me except it's hot out and the truck has no AC. Anyway, thanks for the kind words, I'll post some details on how things turn out.
Glad you're safe! Looks like a nasty hit. Did you purchase gap insurance? The insurance is only liable to pay for damages and not necessarily the full amount of your loan. But typically the pay out is a little higher than what your car would be worth on the used market.

·
Registered
229 Posts
I feel for you, hope it all goes well. I know the pains of accidents, Im still going through crud from the one I was in last December. Hopefully you're going to be in for a smoother ride than I was.

·
Registered
335 Posts
So I was sitting at a stop light today (completely stopped) and suddenly, WHAM! Some 16 year old girl in a jeep liberty slammed into me, no brakes and nothing I could do. Not only is the rear of the car destroyed but I got shoved under the truck I was behind and wrecked the front end too. So much for my new ride, I only had it for 3 weeks. Pissed.
Sorry, glad you are ok.
If you have ANY say in the situation with the insurance company push real hard to have the car scrapped/written off.

Reactions: Mohkx

·
Registered
175 Posts
Glad you're safe! Looks like a nasty hit. Did you purchase gap insurance? The insurance is only liable to pay for damages and not necessarily the full amount of your loan. But typically the pay out is a little higher than what your car would be worth on the used market.

This scenario is exactly why I got gap insurance, hopefully he did as well...:(

·
Registered
18 Posts
Same thing happened to me back in April. I only just got my car back this month and it is STILL incomplete. Waiting on rear bumper trim. I pray you don't have to wait 3 months to get your ride back due to lack of part availability for our ES like I did.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Scuffed the front bumper up.

Had a car scuff my passenger side front bumper today. A red Toyota. No dents just scrapes, scuffs and some paint exchanged. :""( . Insurance will fix but not pretty right now.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Really sorry to hear and see this but I'm glad you guys are all okay. For having it only 3 weeks though, I would have thought your insurance company would have paid it out completely for you because it's still so new. That's odd.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Ouch that hurts my soul a little bit. its good, yet bad that cars are designed to crumple so easily these days, it makes damage look so much worse. but at least she protected you.
Good luck replacing her. :)

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Update on the wrecked elantra....
Sorry everyone but I opted for the sonata 2.0T as my replacement for my beloved elantra. I wanted another one but I just could bring myself to drive it again. Also, there was a 6k rebate on the sonata so it was actually less than the elantra. Both are great and Hyundai as a company is fantastic. I'm anxiously awaiting the N divisions products, I'm really hoping to see some good stuff. Enjoy the sport, it's a great car.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Had a car scuff my passenger side front bumper today. A red Toyota. No dents just scrapes, scuffs and some paint exchanged. :""( . Insurance will fix but not pretty right now.
Did they at least send you to a good body shop? If you're with state farm I know they tend to work with some great body shops although there have been horror stories. Always best to vet the shops on your own before going through.

·
Registered
109 Posts
OMG the cost of a light.

I got to pick the bodyshop. It is a local small business. The guy has a great reputation. Is recommended by every one with no horror stories. Older gentleman been in business forever. OMG the passenger side headlight got scratched and the insurance is going to cover all cost. The body shop was setting up an appointment time and during our conversation he told me what the light would cost. 1950$ Canadian. Has to shipped from Korea. Glad that is not coming from my pocket directly. I would not normally repair small mishaps like this one but the car is so new and I like it so much I felt compelled to have it fixed. I have driven older cars that were dinged, scratched and dented to no end. But I have developed a bit of anal retentiveness with this car. So out of character. No coffee cups on the floor, which my GF just can't get over. lol.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Update on the wrecked elantra....
Sorry everyone but I opted for the sonata 2.0T as my replacement for my beloved elantra. I wanted another one but I just could bring myself to drive it again. Also, there was a 6k rebate on the sonata so it was actually less than the elantra. Both are great and Hyundai as a company is fantastic. I'm anxiously awaiting the N divisions products, I'm really hoping to see some good stuff. Enjoy the sport, it's a great car.
Glad your OK, in the end that is all that really matters is that you walked away. The most tragic part of this story though is that you bought a Sonata. Good luck!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts