Elantra Sport Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any body shop people on here? Thoughts on repair for this damage? Or is it even worth it to repair? This car is new with 14 miles. It's listed as one of their hail damaged cars. I see this from time to time online but have never been interested in one till now. Car is listed at $16.5k. Would never pay that much. Just beginning to chat with dealership. Wondering if dealer totaled it via insurance but is still allowed to sell somehow? Anyone from a dealer have any ideas?

Would you even consider this? Thoughts on pricing?

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
1,199 Posts
All of that can be fixed through PDR. I had my VT and my wife's Mini get pretty badly hail damaged a few years ago - way worse than this. All of it was repaired and covered under insurance. I think it was about $1800 of work per car.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes I've seen much worse as well. There was a Honda dealer around my area that was hit with hail and a few Civics looked like a machine gun shot at them with hard rubber bullets. They had the same type of ad on their website: Hail damage sale".

If this is fixable, wonder why the dealership isn't doing so? Just reading around it can be hit or miss buying a hail damaged car. Usually if they're selling it with damage, it was too expensive to fix. Apparently in the midwest it's big business to go around and fix dealer damaged cars. I guess if done properly, you'd never know. That kind of sucks that they can sell fixed cars and not have to claim it was damaged.

There's also insurance to consider. I guess you're supposed to claim the damage when registering with the insurance company and they'll take a look. Will definitely lower your claim amounts later on if you get in an accident.

In the end if the price is right it's worth it if you don't mind owning a car that will be worth very little down the road. Unfortunately, $16.5k isn't even close. If it was local I'd be more interested. This would be a fly in drive home purchase. I guess I'll just fish around to see how low they'll go.

·
Super Moderator
1,199 Posts
I suppose it may be because it looks like a couple of those dents actually have creases in them, which may make it so that they are not 100% repairable. As in - you could make it look a lot better, but not perfect.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just stay away from this car, itll be a lot of hassle.
Haha yes after thinking about it I decided not to even email the sales guy back. Not close to being worth it, especially since it would be a long distance purchase. Unfortunately the closest Sport premium in blue or white is several hundred miles away.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Unless you were getting it for closer to 14k then you're better off passing. Some of the dents on the roof wouldn't be able to be fixed properly, same with the one on the lip of the trunk. So you would spend thousands to be replacing the roof panel and trunk and getting whatever PDR work done. Plus I never like the idea of having to drop a headliner and re-doing airbags and what not with the roof replacement on a new car. But if you got it for 14k I would just fix it as best you can and drive it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts