Elantra Sport Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

After having looked under my car, I noticed that it has black undercoating done. Now, this wasn't anything I pay extra for, but seems that it was done. I'm wondering if anyone else has noticed this under their cars?

I'm in Canada, and wondering if this is something that is done by Hyundai Canada. I know that head units ('our radios') are installed at the port in Vancouver (confirmed by Hyundai). So, wondering if this is something else that is done by them (being in Canada, and anticipating our bad weather?).

I've added a photo that I managed to find of how the undercoating looks (not my car, didn't get a chance to photo it).

Anyone else noticed the same with their cars?

Attachments

· Registered
84 Posts
Undercoat is usually done by the dealership - but if that's an undercoat job on your car, then it's poorly done. When it's done right, you shouldn't really be able to see any paint under your car. The undercoat itself is like a thick tar or rubber depending on the type.

Not sure why they would just spray it on a few spots like that.

Reactions: Voodoo Idol

· Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi Inlovewithsue,

Seeing that you're in Alberta, is your car similar? Maybe it's a Canadian thing. I didn't pay for anything extra with my car, so if the dealer did it, then it seems to be something that they do, or Hyundai Canada does?

The picture I posted if of a car I found on another forum (Facebook), but it's very similar to what the bottom of my car looks like.

Wonder if there are other Canadians can can que in. Also any Americans?!

· Registered
30 Posts
I wouldn't trust anything factory-provided for free for rust protection. I don't really think they're undercoated from the factory, though. Just minimal protection in a few key areas. I'm on the east coast and we use a LOT of salt on the roads, so undercoating isn't a question- you just do it. Undercoated the crap out of mine this weekend. I was happy to find a bunch of little plastic plugs all over the place to get at more areas!

· Registered
84 Posts
I live in Northern Alberta - lots of salt on the roads here as well.

First 2 things I did to my car was taking it to a shop to get XPel clear wrap put on the whole front end of the car. Then got the undercoat done. Ended up taking it back because I could still see paint underneath the car and had them put it up on the hoist and spray it with me watching. Now you can't see paint under the car anywhere - everything is black.

· Registered
188 Posts
I think the black coating in question might just be there because our cars have a different suspension that's bolted in place compared to a regular Elantra. I'm ASSuming that means there's additional holes that were not accounted for originally so they use an additional sealant in those areas to prevent corrosion/rust later down the road.

· Registered
343 Posts
I think the black coating in question might just be there because our cars have a different suspension that's bolted in place compared to a regular Elantra. I'm ASSuming that means there's additional holes that were not accounted for originally so they use an additional sealant in those areas to prevent corrosion/rust later down the road.
Yeah, I was thinking it was for welded areas but drilled out would make more sense.

· Registered
188 Posts
From what I could see while we had the car in the air (that original picture is mine from when I did my sway bar install), the rear suspension was bolted into place.

· Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hi n0thing,

Thank you for letting me use your picture! You'll see in the videos that I posted, that the undercoating is also all the way up to the front of the car. The exhaust hump is coated as well. So it seems that this is some sort of factory undercoating that is done. Just seems that it could be done better.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.