Elantra Sport Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone else with a manual notice this? I've had 12 manual transmission cars, and some of them were also a little hard to get into reverse, but this one is the hardest.

When I first start the car in the morning, let the idle settle, and it never wants to go into reverse. I try the usual, let the clutch in and out, shift into first, then reverse, and it eventually goes into reverse. Just seems overly difficult.

When the car is warm it's much better.

Is this just a quirk of this transmission?

·
Registered
143 Posts
Anyone else with a manual notice this? I've had 12 manual transmission cars, and some of them were also a little hard to get into reverse, but this one is the hardest.

When I first start the car in the morning, let the idle settle, and it never wants to go into reverse. I try the usual, let the clutch in and out, shift into first, then reverse, and it eventually goes into reverse. Just seems overly difficult.

When the car is warm it's much better.

Is this just a quirk of this transmission?
I experience the same, but I don't think this is out of ordinary for a manual. Mainly is because reverse doesn't have a synchro. So release all hand an foot brakes and let the gear teeth find its place.

·
Super Moderator
1,198 Posts
I have experience this as well, and this is how it is resolved:

Pull up the reverse lockout before moving the shifter. Works every time. If you try to pull up on the lockout when you're close to hitting the lane to move into reverse, it'll, well, lock you out. Heh.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have experience this as well, and this is how it is resolved:

Pull up the reverse lockout before moving the shifter. Works every time. If you try to pull up on the lockout when you're close to hitting the lane to move into reverse, it'll, well, lock you out. Heh.
Thanks man, tried this tonight, worked twice. Tomorrow morning will be the real test.

·
Registered
116 Posts
It also gets better as you keep driving. At first it would take a few tries to get into reverse and now after a month and 2000 miles it doesn't give me any trouble at all.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I have not had this issue. Been 4 degrees C (39.2 F) in the morning here a couple of times since I got the car and no issue. I am also use to the sequence with the shift lever as my previous Elantra was the same set up. Hope the tips from the others work out for you.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts