Elantra Sport Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone,

I'm the new guy around here and just wanted to say hey. I'm stuck on the fence about what Hyundai I want to buy so I'm doing a bit more research before I try to make up my mind. Currently debating between the Elantra GT and the Elantra Sport. Both offer about what I'm looking for in my next car, just curious to see what the daily drivers have to say. Looking forward to getting to know you guys!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Welcome! Personally, I prefer the look of both the exterior and interior of the sedan over the hatch. Don't get me wrong, I like the hatch, but the sedan just gives a more mature presentation in my opinion.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Totally agree with ssaiyan223 here. Also, I'm sure you mean the Elantra Sport vs. the Elantra GT Sport. Note that for the Elantra GT Sport, if you want a manual transmission, you cannot get the premium/tech package. For some odd reason, that option is only allowed on the DCT. I normally prefer hatch/wagon over a sedan, but in this case the ES just looks much better in my eyes. Kinda makes sense since both these vehicles were designed by different teams.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Overall: Sedan
Exterior: Tie
Interior: Sedan - The hatch's etch-a-sketch drives me crazy, it is hideous... The red streaks certainly don't help but I can see the appeal there.
Features: Hatch - vented seats and much more space
Price: Sedan - 2-5 k cheaper
Rarity: Tie - I've yet to see either in the wild

In the end, the significantly higher price and horrid interior aesthetic drove me away from the hatch into the sedan.

·
Registered
140 Posts
I would never get used to the dumb tablet style head unit. It saddens me the new VT/N did this :(, a trend I await the decline of. It feels cheap to look at and an afterthought in every application.

·
Registered
229 Posts
If you want to brake boost with the e-brake, the sedan is your better bet. The hatch has an electronic e-brake.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I have also test drive both before made decision for ES.

Sedan Pro:
- More agressive exterior body style
- Coming with the HID headlight is much brighter than GT LED headlight
- The stock rim is much better look than the GT
- D-cut steering wheel is awesome
Sedan Con:
- Too much Elantra sedan on the street
- I don't need a 4 dr sedan for my living style
- The interior design is general

Hatch Pro:
- Performance is seems better
- Super Euro feel interior design
- Much larger cargo space
- larger headunit screen
Hatch Con:
- LED headlight is not bright enough
- Too much Golf and Mazda look that I just don't like Golf
- Ugly stock rim
- Ugly headunit screen location design

·
Registered
30 Posts
I would never get used to the dumb tablet style head unit. It saddens me the new VT/N did this :(, a trend I await the decline of. It feels cheap to look at and an afterthought in every application.
I feel the same way. It makes me cringe every time I see a built-in display that bulges out of the dash, yet can't be removed. It's the worst of both worlds.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Small things, the Elantra GT doesn't have a locking fuel door or a lever to open it inside the car on the floor like the ES has. The ES also has a remote trunk opening lever on the floor that the GT doesn't. The only way to open the hatch on a GT is with the FOB or have all doors unlocked.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Wow thanks for all the response guys, really appreciate it! Not surprising in the Elantra Sport forum to see more support for the sedan aha. I have yet to have the opportunity to sit in/test drive either but I'm definitely going to keep in mind the various pros/cons you guys have outlined for each. That sucks to hear that the manual tranny isn't an option with the better premium/tech package, I hate it when manufacturers make you choose one or the other. Typically I'm more a fan of the styling of a hatchback, but I'm also reluctant to get the first generation of any car.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.