Elantra Sport Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I just had the heater core in my 2018 Elantra Sport DCT start leaking/go out. I was driving for just a few minutes at 35mph on local roads when I got the overheat warning. I pulled over immediately and saw that the coolant reservoir was bone dry. I sat in a parking lot for 3 hours waiting for the Hyundai roadside assistant's tow truck to take it back to the dealer.

They just called me this morning telling me that it was the heater core that was leaking and that they are replacing it and it is covered by my warranty. The serendipitous part though, was that I had the dealer flush and replace the coolant just a couple of weeks ago at 38,000 miles. I kind of think the dealership techs just didn't finish the job or remove air bubbles from the lines before handing over the keys. Or maybe it just went bad somehow, but I can't see how that is the problem then the heater core has no electronic parts. Are you telling me that the core was clogged? The coolant was pretty clean when I had them flush it so It's hard to believe that could have been the source of the issue.

1. I didn't smell any coolant in the cabin
2. I didn't have a foggy windshield
3. No sticky residue in the interior
4. There was no puddle of coolant in my car or around my car where I park it
5. My car overheated.
6. When my car overheated it turned off A/C and started blowing hot air in our faces (if the heater core goes out then hot air should not be blowing. Right? I know the blower wasn't what went out, but the air should then be much cooler than the 100 degrees it felt like.)
7. I didn't smell coolant at all until I let the car cool down for a bit to open the empty coolant reservoir that was under pressure.

I'm posting this just to let people know about this issue I had. It could have been my heater core, or it could have been poor maintenance from the dealership. I only have 38,000 miles on the car, so it doesn't seem like it should have failed that early, especially because I have been on top of maintenance on my car. I'm going to talk to the head of service about it when I go pick up my car to see if they left out any details about the evidence of what they found. I'll update this if I have any additional information.

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
If there was air in the system from the previous flush you would have known right away.

I suspect that it's one of the water lines that runs from the core to the engine. One of them has a plastic fitting that is known to fail.

·
Registered
1 Posts
So I just had the heater core in my 2018 Elantra Sport DCT start leaking/go out. I was driving for just a few minutes at 35mph on local roads when I got the overheat warning. I pulled over immediately and saw that the coolant reservoir was bone dry. I sat in a parking lot for 3 hours waiting for the Hyundai roadside assistant's tow truck to take it back to the dealer.

They just called me this morning telling me that it was the heater core that was leaking and that they are replacing it and it is covered by my warranty. The serendipitous part though, was that I had the dealer flush and replace the coolant just a couple of weeks ago at 38,000 miles. I kind of think the dealership techs just didn't finish the job or remove air bubbles from the lines before handing over the keys. Or maybe it just went bad somehow, but I can't see how that is the problem then the heater core has no electronic parts. Are you telling me that the core was clogged? The coolant was pretty clean when I had them flush it so It's hard to believe that could have been the source of the issue.

1. I didn't smell any coolant in the cabin
2. I didn't have a foggy windshield
3. No sticky residue in the interior
4. There was no puddle of coolant in my car or around my car where I park it
5. My car overheated.
6. When my car overheated it turned off A/C and started blowing hot air in our faces (if the heater core goes out then hot air should not be blowing. Right? I know the blower wasn't what went out, but the air should then be much cooler than the 100 degrees it felt like.)
7. I didn't smell coolant at all until I let the car cool down for a bit to open the empty coolant reservoir that was under pressure.

I'm posting this just to let people know about this issue I had. It could have been my heater core, or it could have been poor maintenance from the dealership. I only have 38,000 miles on the car, so it doesn't seem like it should have failed that early, especially because I have been on top of maintenance on my car. I'm going to talk to the head of service about it when I go pick up my car to see if they left out any details about the evidence of what they found. I'll update this if I have any additional information.
I thought about getting mine done, but the manual says it's good for 6 years 100K miles.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts