Elantra Sport Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I acquired a CPO Elantra sport the day before St. Patricks Day and couldn't be happier. I owned a 2013 Fiat 500 Abarth since February 14th, 2014, it was demo w/1827 miles, so not brand, brand new but new enough. I owned that car for 5 yrs and 1 month and I enjoyed it very much. So why did I trade it in for the 18' ES, well the short version it was time, I was "reading the tea leaves" so to speak. Here in Illinois we have emission tests, its basically where they plug into your OBD and read for codes. So about 2 weeks before I acquired the ES I had a code for a cat, then it went away after 60 miles and while in line at the emission station the light came back on, a different code and I just decided it was time. Even before this the car would go into "lymph mode" on a certain hot day, throw a code, cool off and it was back to full power, CEL cleared itself after about 5 cycles, I got used to that, figured it was the car showing its Italian roots, LOL. The other thing was the shifting, it was a 5 spd and the side to side motion was pretty hard, going from 5th to 4th was an adventure sometimes but I got used to it, this is why I said earlier "reading the tea leaves".

I traded the Abarth in on a CPO Elantra sport, it had 11.9K on the clock and I paid extra for 100K on everything else, wanted to be covered, period. This car was on my short list to replace the Abarth, seriously. My buddy Hectour and I saw a white one at a cars and coffee last summer and it really got our attention! This is one of those cars you have to really be into cars and have an eye for things to TRUELY appreciate and understand. The only downside to my car is that it only has 2 pedals, I would've preferred a stick but buying used its kinda hard but to be honest, the DCT is AWESOME! I'm getting used to this trans already though, the shifts are soooo quick!!

When I bought the car there was one thing that bothered me though, the SPORT badge, do you know how many cars have a sport model, LOL! I know it actually means something on this car but I wanted to change it up a bit, so while I was buying the car actually, waiting on the paperwork, I whipped out my phone and ordered a TURBO badge from the Veloster. Once I got the badge I debadged the SPORT badge, cleaned the area really well and placed the TURBO badge in its place. I guess this is my first mod, LOL but honestly it looks REALLY good on the car! On the 1st gen Veloster I showed everyone you had the turbo model, not the regular version and its the same thing with the ES, so it doesn't look out of place on this car at all IMO.

I have mods I'm looking to do, the first will be the soon to be released SXTH Element enclosed intake system, I really like this piece. The next mod will be an axle-back exhaust, this is kinda of a struggle for me because the stock exhaust sounds pretty good for stock, but I want "a bit more" but nothing loud like its "trying to hard". No offense to those who've got straight pipe'd exhaust on their car but this car isn't "that" kinda of car IMO. I'm torn between the JUN B.L. axle-back and the SXTH Element axle-back w/0 a muffler. The thing is this, the mid-pipe has that bullet resonater and that larger one, so w/o a muffler I'm wondering if the drone will be dialed out but give me a nice "bark". Now the JUN B.L. axle-back has that short, cylindrical muffler and the audio clip I heard has a nice sound but is it enough? I really want something between the stock system and my Abarth, if its closer to the Abarth I'm ok but I don't want a drone, you know what I mean. All input on this last paragraph is GREATLY appreciated.

Sorry for the long winded, life story but this is my introduction to the forum and I look forward to being a daily poster and contributor here and BTW I'm a backyard detailer and will help anyone out with their detailing questions, I'm REALLY into this stuff!

Reactions: armorall1

·
Registered
2,852 Posts
The thing is this, the mid-pipe has that bullet resonater and that larger one, so w/o a muffler I'm wondering if the drone will be dialed out but give me a nice "bark".
Welcome. Stock midpipe is actually a catalytic converter and a resonator. An axleback without a muffler will be fairly loud still, the stock muffler is quite restrictive. (and heavy). I would either do the SXTH with the muffler, or the Jun BL.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Congrats and welcome!

Reactions: KlasseAct

·
Registered
1 Posts
Dear friend,
im rebecca, from a car throttle controller company. you can search windbooster to check what i say. for you know that i

cannot post link here. i do not want to break any rule and be banned. so pls let me know if i do sth wrong.i know before i

do everything here must to be agreed by admin. i willing to hear you advice.
now we are trying to find someone to try our item free, just tell us our your car brand,then we ship and you tell people

your experience here. and we have almost 500 cars brands throttle controller, that's the most advantage we have. for in our

country we have cars from different of the world. so we can innovate every kind of cars throttle controller. and i think

that many people need this item, so you or someone can be them advisor, which is also a great help to the people around

you. how do you think of it. looking forward to hear you.
best regards
rebecca

·
Registered
244 Posts
Dear friend,
im rebecca, from a car throttle controller company. you can search windbooster to check what i say. for you know that i

cannot post link here. i do not want to break any rule and be banned. so pls let me know if i do sth wrong.i know before i

do everything here must to be agreed by admin. i willing to hear you advice.
now we are trying to find someone to try our item free, just tell us our your car brand,then we ship and you tell people

your experience here. and we have almost 500 cars brands throttle controller, that's the most advantage we have. for in our

country we have cars from different of the world. so we can innovate every kind of cars throttle controller. and i think

that many people need this item, so you or someone can be them advisor, which is also a great help to the people around

you. how do you think of it. looking forward to hear you.
best regards
rebecca
Congrats! I'm from Chicago also, I have sxthelement muffler delete. It's not to loud but definitely louder than stock!

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Congrats! I'm from Chicago also, I have sxthelement muffler delete. It's not to loud but definitely louder than stock!

Where abouts in Chicagoland are you located, I would really like to hear your exhaust!

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'm from the Southside but I work at McGrath Hyundai on grand and oak park.

I'm a delivery driver for a Freightliner dealership out in Palatine and I've driven past that dealership and seen an ES parked on the NE side of the building before, that has to be yours. I'd like to meet up somewhere, at your convienence ofcoarse and check out your car;)

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Welcome. Stock midpipe is actually a catalytic converter and a resonator. An axleback without a muffler will be fairly loud still, the stock muffler is quite restrictive. (and heavy). I would either do the SXTH with the muffler, or the Jun BL.

So I see a large, cylindrical thing and a small resonater that looks like it goes under the p/s rear seat, set me straight here. While I'm at it, what's the OE pipe diameter and what's the aftermarket systems looking like?

·
Registered
244 Posts
I'm from the Southside but I work at McGrath Hyundai on grand and oak park.

I'm a delivery driver for a Freightliner dealership out in Palatine and I've driven past that dealership and seen an ES parked on the NE side of the building before, that has to be yours. I'd like to meet up somewhere, at your convienence ofcoarse and check out your car/forum/images/smilies/wink.gif
Ya I'm down!

·
Registered
2,852 Posts
So I see a large, cylindrical thing and a small resonater that looks like it goes under the p/s rear seat, set me straight here. While I'm at it, what's the OE pipe diameter and what's the aftermarket systems looking like?
Starting at the turbo the downpipe has a cat, then in the midpipe there is a cat and a resonator (in that order) then the muffler under the trunk.

Stock exhaust is close enough to 2.5", which is already plenty for the small turbo. 3" might change the sound characteristics but it's not going to give any extra power. Most aftermarket systems are 2.5". Downpipes are usually 3".

·
Registered
2019 ES 6mt
23 Posts
Chitown! I live near Downers Grove and have a 2019 ES 6MT. I am pretty sold on the JUN BL exhaust note. My previous car was a 2013 2.0l naturally aspirated Impreza with a straight pipe, therefore I want nothing to do with anything close to drone. Currently i am savoring the ultra quiet stock exhaust before i drop the coin for the Imported Jun BL Muffler from ebay. Summer project*

also this weekend is the first Supercar Saturday in Barrington which i am looking forward. Hope to see you all at these meets!

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
Chitown! I live near Downers Grove and have a 2019 ES 6MT. I am pretty sold on the JUN BL exhaust note. My previous car was a 2013 2.0l naturally aspirated Impreza with a straight pipe, therefore I want nothing to do with anything close to drone. Currently i am savoring the ultra quiet stock exhaust before i drop the coin for the Imported Jun BL Muffler from ebay. Summer project*

also this weekend is the first Supercar Saturday in Barrington which i am looking forward. Hope to see you all at these meets!

Sadly I will not be able to attend the first SCS show, I'll be out of town attending my Grandson's 1st birthday. Also sadly the next show is at Streets of Woodfield and I know that's going to be a sheetshow, too many D-bags.

I will be attending the 1st Rise and Drive show though at Collectors Car Garage the following day, Sunday. Its directly across the street from WGN-TV studio in the city, very easy to get to as its not downtown and I will bring my car if you show up, if not, I'll be riding shotgun in my buddy Hector's 79' RX-7. I feel a little awkward bringing my 18' ES because its stock right now:rolleyes: This show has about 50 cars show up, laid back crowd and no D-bags really show up here because its Sunday morning 9 a.m to Noon. Let me know if you can make it out, my name is Roger btw and I live in Elk Grove Village.

·
Registered
244 Posts

Sadly I will not be able to attend the first SCS show, I'll be out of town attending my Grandson's 1st birthday. Also sadly the next show is at Streets of Woodfield and I know that's going to be a sheetshow, too many D-bags.

I will be attending the 1st Rise and Drive show though at Collectors Car Garage the following day, Sunday. Its directly across the street from WGN-TV studio in the city, very easy to get to as its not downtown and I will bring my car if you show up, if not, I'll be riding shotgun in my buddy Hector's 79' RX-7. I feel a little awkward bringing my 18' ES because its stock right now/forum/images/smilies/rolleyes.gif This show has about 50 cars show up, laid back crowd and no D-bags really show up here because its Sunday morning 9 a.m to Noon. Let me know if you can make it out, my name is Roger btw and I live in Elk Grove Village.
where is this car show at?

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
1 - 18 of 18 Posts