Elantra Sport Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello I just signed up for the forums this week but have been watching it every once in a while for a few months since I got my 17 ES. I already have 10600 miles on it I honestly cant remember when I got it right now, I think it was August or September. I'm still on the fence whether or not I should do any mods, the ones I have been looking at and decided on if I do are the sxth element axle back and the short ram intake. Since I have never modified a car before I'm not sure what to expect with these parts whether it be any performance gains or how it sounds. I know these will change but I don't know how much since I have no experience to go off of. I also don't want to loose any warranty benefits which I'm thinking it wont since they are just bolt on parts.

What do you guys think? Should I do these mods, will it be to loud with the axle back compared to stock to daily drive or is it a minimal volume difference? I do want a little more cabin noise though so that's why I was looking into it.

Also if I Probably will post in another section if this thread wont get enough feedback for the mod questions.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
2,897 Posts
Also if I Probably will post in another section if this thread wont get enough feedback for the mod questions.
Probably not the best idea, moderators usually don't like that kind of thing.

I can say though that a muffler-less axleback will be fairly loud, so be ready for that. The intake is also pretty loud as you are replacing a plastic box and rubber tube with a 3.5" metal pipe (depending on which intake you go with) so the induction noises can be overwhelming if you haven't done any modding before. Most intakes will eliminate the recirculation hose for the factory bypass valve, which is also loud. (think blow off valve) You can order a SXTH intake with the port to keep the bypass hose so that it stays at a reasonable level.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
I can say though that a muffler-less axleback will be fairly loud, so be ready for that. The intake is also pretty loud as you are replacing a plastic box and rubber tube with a 3.5" metal pipe (depending on which intake you go with) so the induction noises can be overwhelming if you haven't done any modding before. Most intakes will eliminate the recirculation hose for the factory bypass valve, which is also loud. (think blow off valve) You can order a SXTH intake with the port to keep the bypass hose so that it stays at a reasonable level.
Would there be any other mods maybe just a tune only that might give me a better drive experience including sound and performance, or would these be a good starting point to learn what I might be looking for? I do enjoy driving the car but feel like it could use a little bit more power here and there but I also don't want to turn it into more of a race car either where it becomes uncomfortable or to much on a daily driver and when I have passengers.

·
Registered
2,897 Posts
Would there be any other mods maybe just a tune only that might give me a better drive experience including sound and performance, or would these be a good starting point to learn what I might be looking for? I do enjoy driving the car but feel like it could use a little bit more power here and there but I also don't want to turn it into more of a race car either where it becomes uncomfortable or to much on a daily driver and when I have passengers.
If you are not looking for a lot of noise and just want some more power, I would recommend doing a catless downpipe with a tune. It will make the stock exhaust note a little more aggressive but won't be overpowering like a muffler delete, and the tune will extract a bit more power on top of that.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Welcome to the forum.

If you're worried about it being too loud you can always get a silencer. Most guys I know with loud systems that need to stay legal and/or not piss off their neighbors go that route.
I wouldn't worry about my neighbors where I live now in a fairly rural neighborhood with 20 or so houses. Other people have loudish cars as well as shoot guns and have loud dogs. But if and when I move I'm hoping to move closer to Durham if I can afford it. Also I think I read somewhere that a turbo downpipe would be a bit more difficult to install and I would probably need a lift which I do not have access to, is this true or will it be fine working off of ramps like I have done most of my other work on my previous cars?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.