Elantra Sport Forum banner

1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our D5S HID is a fixed bi-xenon unit. I looked at it and can't find a way to remove the bulb without taking off the headlight assembly....

Anyone else noticed on how limited the spaces are. Trying to replace the OEM 4300K with 5500K HIDs.

·
Registered
99 Posts
You'll find that's a common thing with new cars. You gotta remove everything in order to change a darn headlight bulb and it's a PITA

·
Registered
83 Posts
I had a 2004 Infiniti G35 before I got my Elantra Sport and it was the same with that car - had to remove the front bumper and inner wheel well to access the back of the headlight. This is fairly common, I know you have to do the same thing for WRX's too.

I've been looking everywhere to figure out what our bulb type is. Is it for sure a D5S? Amazon is trying to tell me its an H11.

·
Registered
263 Posts
I had a 2004 Infiniti G35 before I got my Elantra Sport and it was the same with that car - had to remove the front bumper and inner wheel well to access the back of the headlight. This is fairly common, I know you have to do the same thing for WRX's too.

I've been looking everywhere to figure out what our bulb type is. Is it for sure a D5S? Amazon is trying to tell me its an H11.
Manual states D5S

·
Registered
83 Posts
The manual that came with my sport does not list a bulb type for the bi-xenon bulbs and states to bring it to the dealership to have them service it.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The manual that came with my sport does not list a bulb type for the bi-xenon bulbs and states to bring it to the dealership to have them service it.
That's odd... mine clearly states D5S. Try a PDF version do a Control "F" maybe?

·
Registered
263 Posts
What is really interesting is that I thought we had BI xenons... But according to my manual the low beam is HID and the HI beam is an H7LL bulb..

Are they both in the housing Or in the manual wrong?

·
Registered
263 Posts
Never mind... I am an idiot... We ha e the TYPE D headlights according to my manual... And it says that our HIDs are D1S not D5S...

·
Registered
83 Posts
Yeah 35w is correct for HID, so its the D1S.

This forum has a comparison of D2S bulbs if anybody is interested. (D1S have integrated ballast, D2S is just the bulb. Most manufacturers that sell D2S bulbs also sell D1S bulbs, so the comparison would be valid for either bulb)

https://www.hidplanet.com/forums/forum/the-marketplace/the-retrofit-source-products/58316-the-ultimate-d2s-bulb-test

The Osram Nightbreaker is the brightest, but its 4500k (so warm white, same temperature as factory). Personally I'm going to pick up the Osram CBI's as they're 5500k, perfect white, and still nearly twice as bright as the factory bulbs. $160 for a pair, not bad. https://www.theretrofitsource.com/components/bulbs/d1s-osram-xenarc-66144-66140-cbi.html

·
Registered
83 Posts
So bad news, the D5S bulb is the super value HID bulb. With only 25W it puts out 2000 lumins, which is much brighter than halogen, and is actually brighter than d3s bulbs, but nowhere near as bright as 35W D1S or D2S bulbs. There is no aftermarket for them.

Good news, Audi used these in their new A3's and A4's, and Chevy has used it in some of their trucks, so there will likely be an aftermarket for them too the more they are being used.

I found someone who said they used these bulbs off AliExpress and powered them with fastbright 55w ballasts. Sounds doubly risky to me as 1 they're Chinese aftermarket and 2 the bulbs are 35w bulbs.

Sounds like we'll just have to go the retrofit route for now.

·
Registered
263 Posts
BTW, this is the manual that came with my car: https://www.hyundaiusa.com/myhyundaicontent/Data/teamsite/doc/glovebox-manuals/2017/ELANTRA/2017_hyundai_elantra_om.pdf

Page 7-78 is the HID headlight on the Sport (Type C in the 2017 manual), they don't tell you what kind of bulb in these new manuals.

Edit: Oh they do actually. Page 8-3. Looks like they are D5S, and only 25W, gross.
That is the non sport owners manual... If you have a sport, it looks like they placed the wrong manual in the car...

I would like to change the bulb to a brighter cleaner white bulb... But I would want a stock fit, plug and play with out having to modify any wiring.

Not sure if that possible or not.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Our D5S HID is a fixed bi-xenon unit. I looked at it and can't find a way to remove the bulb without taking off the headlight assembly....

Anyone else noticed on how limited the spaces are. Trying to replace the OEM 4300K with 5500K HIDs.
I did see a video on YouTube where the guy had to take the wheel off to get the bulb out... But he had a 2017 regular elantra. I would assume the same would be true with ours as well

·
Registered
263 Posts
BTW, this is the manual that came with my car: https://www.hyundaiusa.com/myhyundaicontent/Data/teamsite/doc/glovebox-manuals/2017/ELANTRA/2017_hyundai_elantra_om.pdf

Page 7-78 is the HID headlight on the Sport (Type C in the 2017 manual), they don't tell you what kind of bulb in these new manuals.

Edit: Oh they do actually. Page 8-3. Looks like they are D5S, and only 25W, gross.
I check out these bulbs, and I am interested, if one, they are pku and play and 2 if they are BI xenon... I don't want to lose my hi beams... And the web site didn't state if it was a bi xenon

·
Registered
83 Posts
If the bulbs we have are indeed 25W D5S then there currently isn't any other options other than the factory. D5S bulbs have the ballast attached to the bulb, so when you replace a bulb you're also replacing the ballast. Its one combined unit:

D1S bulbs are much more common in luxury cars, they use the same bulbs as D2S bulbs (the most common HID bulb) but they also have attached ballasts:

D5S projector housings have a different focus point than D1S and D2S housings, and they attach differently, so you can't stick a D1S on. You'd have to retrofit it, which requires removing the headlight, baking it to release the silicone glue to separate the front and back of the headlight housing, removing the current projector, and replacing with an after market projector (which will require cutting and drilling), then gluing everything back together.

I'm hoping the sport manual that I apparently don't have is the one you posted, because if we actually have D1S bulbs, we're in luck.

·
Registered
83 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
If the bulbs we have are indeed 25W D5S then there currently isn't any other options other than the factory. D5S bulbs have the ballast attached to the bulb, so when you replace a bulb you're also replacing the ballast. Its one combined unit:

D1S bulbs are much more common in luxury cars, they use the same bulbs as D2S bulbs (the most common HID bulb) but they also have attached ballasts:

D5S projector housings have a different focus point than D1S and D2S housings, and they attach differently, so you can't stick a D1S on. You'd have to retrofit it, which requires removing the headlight, baking it to release the silicone glue to separate the front and back of the headlight housing, removing the current projector, and replacing with an after market projector (which will require cutting and drilling), then gluing everything back together.

I'm hoping the sport manual that I apparently don't have is the one you posted, because if we actually have D1S bulbs, we're in luck.
We got sure have D1S. Not the D5S... I want to buy those bulbs but I am not sure if the ate BI xenon and I don't want to lose high beams

·
Registered
83 Posts
I stopped by dealership and got the right books, sure enough we've got D1S, YAY!

When you turn your "brights" on, it doesn't actually make the bulb brighter. There's a piece of metal inside the projector housing that actually gets lifted allowing the light to beam higher, which is the "bright" mode. This is why projector beams have such a sharp cut-off line. They are always bright, but the metal piece keeps them only pointing down at the ground and not in people's eyes. When you switch it to "Bright", that metal goes up. You can even hear it if you listen when you switch them. So yes, they are compatible and you'd keep the bright beams.

1 - 20 of 72 Posts