Elantra Sport Forum banner

Hitch installation warning

18K views 14 replies 9 participants last post by  Manjun 
#1 · (Edited)
Maybe it will not be useful for a lot of people but if it can help somebody...

I have a small aluminium trailer to tow with my Elantra Sport and I ordered a standard Hyundai Elantra 2017 Curt hitch that suppose to fit on all models.

I tried to install it last weekend but unfortunately I saw that it have a lot of differences between both cars and that part do not fit.

-Muffler location
-Spare location depth
-Tow loop location

Without knowing if a hitch will be available for our cars one day, I decided to keep it and modify it.

After 2 days of labour, cut and modifications, I'm very confident with my first concern. I'm sure that it will be safe and solid as suppose on the standard Elantra.

Sorry for the mud on pictures!

Attachments

See less See more
Reactions: kdetlor
#2 · (Edited)
Road test completed.

The 1.6T low rpm torque give excellent results compare to my old 2.4 2013 Sonata.

Very happy!

Attachments

#5 ·
Would love a trailer hitch for a bike rack, but don't like the idea of drilling holes in the unibody, especially here in Minnesota with the road salt.

#8 ·
I'm in Quebec city, Canada and we also have a lot of salt and calcium on our roads.

All the necessery holes are already drilled and treaded under the car in factory. I just drilled one in spare tire location and I sealed it with a rubber gasket to prevent all infiltrations.

Reactions: Voodoo Idol
#7 · (Edited)
CURT and DRAW-TITE have an Elantra 2017 hitch available on their web sites.

The specific vehicule trailer lights T connectors are also available to not have to cut wires in the car.

It was the same thing for my 2013 Sonata:

Hyundai recomment to not tow with this car.

You just have to keep in mind to not try to tow 3000 lbs of sand with a 3000 lbs car.

My trailer itself is in aluminium, weight only 450 lbs and I usualy use it to transport some long wood timbers that not fit in the car. My need is more for the lenght that for the weight!

At each time I try to carry something long in my car, I scratch something and I dont want to do it in my new car.

Reactions: Voodoo Idol
#10 ·
Little trip to the hardware store today!

950 lbs of 12 feet treated wood lumbers and 500 lbs of concrete blocs.

Attachments

#14 ·
Anybody have any recent updates (in 2020) about rear-towing? I'm trying to figure out if I could pull a class-1 trailer with a personal watercraft in my 2019 ES ... It's only 1 Mile/2 Km to the local boat launch, so I won't be doing any long hauls with it.

What are people thoughts on if this even possible? I saw the post of the guy hauling wood/concrete blocks.
Any new and recommended hardware installs?

#15 ·
Maybe it will not be useful for a lot of people but if it can help somebody...

I have a small aluminium trailer to tow with my Elantra Sport and I ordered a standard Hyundai Elantra 2017 Curt hitch that suppose to fit on all models.

I tried to install it last weekend but unfortunately I saw that it have a lot of differences between both cars and that part do not fit.

-Muffler location
-Spare location depth
-Tow loop location

Without knowing if a hitch will be available for our cars one day, I decided to keep it and modify it.

After 2 days of labour, cut and modifications, I'm very confident with my first concern. I'm sure that it will be safe and solid as suppose on the standard Elantra.

Sorry for the mud on pictures!

Hi Mathieu,

Were you required to install Towing ECU module / trailer Brake controller module to you car ? or did you directly connect the harness to the sockets attached to the rear tail lamps ?
I posted my question in the link below .
@

Thanks
Manjun

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.