Elantra Sport Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

So unfortunately I've money shifted my car once and a couple days back I hit the redline limiter once. That's twice in 40,000 miles. I'm aware this is not good for the car at all and am quiet upset over it.
My question is: does anyone have an idea of the durability of our engine? It's been out for a while now being in the Velosters and all. I'm hoping I'll be ok and will just have to take it easy on the downshifts.

Basically when I'm really pushing the car and shifting quickly that seems to be when I've made these mistakes.

I guess I'll find out how solid this engine. New goal- make it to 100k without hitting the rev limiter again. 馃檨

Registered
Lol hitting redline twice in 40k is literally nothing. You鈥檙e only going to maybe run into issues if you sit there and bounce the needle on redline constantly

Registered
You can actually damage the engine if you manage to go from a high gear to a really low gear. A couple people have already had engines replaced because of that. The car can go past the limiter in those cases. But in your case since you are hitting the limiter you are fine.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
yeah, I money shifted it from 5th to 2nd one time around 9000 miles. Put the clutch in immediately so it went above the limiter for a sec. The other time it bounced off the limiter. Just worried is all. I'm going to baby her for a bit lol.

Registered
Periodic, 'normal', gradual increase into the redline is ok. Perfectly fine.

SUDDEN and DRASTIC changes, under load, are generally bad for the engine due to the inertial energy of all the moving components and cylinder compression.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts