Elantra Sport Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My car only has around 850 miles on it total (2018 ES DCT). I just did a test, started at 600 miles at am finishing now at around 850 miles.

So, on premium gas, while never being in sport mode, and while babying it 80% of the time (staying out of turbo), I was only able to get around 250 miles on a tank.

This can't be normal, can it? I'd say I drive 80% city and 20% highway, but still even assuming that I drive 100% city and get around 25 MPG in the city, I should still be getting... 25 * 14 = 350 miles worst case scenario.

What's also weird is that for the entirety of the 250 mile trip, the computer has calculated that I get an average of 26 MPG, meaning I SHOULD be getting around 350 miles... yet, the computer also says I have about "3 miles range" left. Really frustrating.

Let me know what you guys get.

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
Ignore the computer, it's 3-4 mpg high more often than not.

My commute is ~70% cruising at 50-60mph with no stops and I frequently average low 30's hand calculated. I actually filled up this morning and it calculated out to 32.8 mpg. Range usually shows 415-430 miles. I fill up around 320-350.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I agree with R1600Turbo. Ignore the computer. Mine says 31.5 to 32 mpg, but by the time you do the math its more like 29mpg. I'm also driving about 70% hwy (65 to 80 mph) and 30% in-town. I have the same DCT. I'm also using only Shell 91 octane since I got the ES.

·
Registered
28 Posts
The lowest I've ever seen my calculated MPG in the car was 29, and that was in sport the whole tank and manually shifting! Normally, I average 330-380 per tank (11.5 - 12.5 per fill up). If you are babying the car and not in sport, your mileage per tank seems really low. Do you live somewhere with a lot of hills? Lots of stop and go traffic? Is it hot and you leave the car running for AC? Any of those scenarios will definitely hurt your MPG.

·
Registered
76 Posts
My car only has around 850 miles on it total (2018 ES DCT). I just did a test, started at 600 miles at am finishing now at around 850 miles.

So, on premium gas, while never being in sport mode, and while babying it 80% of the time (staying out of turbo), I was only able to get around 250 miles on a tank.

This can't be normal, can it? I'd say I drive 80% city and 20% highway, but still even assuming that I drive 100% city and get around 25 MPG in the city, I should still be getting... 25 * 14 = 350 miles worst case scenario.

What's also weird is that for the entirety of the 250 mile trip, the computer has calculated that I get an average of 26 MPG, meaning I SHOULD be getting around 350 miles... yet, the computer also says I have about "3 miles range" left. Really frustrating.

Let me know what you guys get.

This seems correct for that amount of city driving. Calculating range isn't as simple as accounting for the maximum tank capacity. You won't be able to fill more than 12 gallons into the Elantra, so that's the usable range. My car gets low 20s in the city. So 22 * 12 = 264. This is probably right. Save yourself some $ and use 87 fuel, that's the recommended fuel and it'll be fine.

You can see my fuelly in my signature. That is tracking over 20,000 miles in mine, but with a good amount of highway. Almost exclusively 87 octane.

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
This is probably right. Save yourself some $ and use 87 fuel, that's the recommended fuel and it'll be fine.
We've been through this before. It's not "recommended" it's just "usable". You can use it if you wish. But the car DOES pull timing while using it, and this has been proved several times. People should stop making this such a big deal and just let people use what they want to use. Octane talk is banned in my group because it always turns into a **** fest and it's annoying.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I get roughly low 300s after reseting my trip computer and filling up to full / getting close to empty, in that case i probably actually do roughly 320s-330s, Note I am on a lap3 ethenol blend tune with the upgraded xcargot turbo. ;)

·
Registered
23 Posts
I get as others get. When on the highway going somewhere I'm getting around 400 miles between fills. But in town where I live, and because I'm hard on it, I usually get 250-300. What I haven't seen anyone mention is that there is usually a break-in period for new cars. You won't get your best MPG for an oil change or 2. I'm assuming when you posted this you still had the original oil in which is who-knows-what and isn't necessarily formulated for good MPG as many good synthetics on the market are. Your MPG will get better. Some mods can help too like the Velossa Tech intake scoop. After I put that on my car just a few weeks ago, I've noticed the gauge is usually pegged at above 50MPG when I'm just coasting down the road/highway at speed. My overall MPG is down though because I haven't been able to keep it civil lately.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.