Elantra Sport Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Hyundai Elantra Sport DCT w/TECH
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This feature was on the list of my "wants" for quite some time and not available in vehicles sold in Canada. Interestingly, in majority of other developed countries and in the EU, this feature is mandatory. My dealer had no interest in any support, simply said "can't help you".

Our (Canadian) BCM (body control module) does not support TPMS. It was crucial to select BCM that will be compatible and will support existing features as well as the TPMS.

Parts needed:
BCM (2017 production year): 95400F2090
BCM (2018 production year): 95400F2092
4x TPMS wheel sensor: 52933F2000

BCM is pure plug and play, nothing changes to the operation of the car (for US owners, these BCMs do support heated steering wheel if you want to retrofit as well as front and rear parking sensors). Next, you do need to visit the dealer (unless you have GDS or another coding hardware). TPMS feature needs to be activated (dealer can do that). If they do not know the variant code, it is 5C40. From this moment, hidden menu activates in the instrument cluster. Next step is to install and pair the TPMS sensors. If you have GDS, it can be done from the software level by entering unique code printed on each TPMS sensor and assigning code to LF, LR, RF and RR location. You are done.

I have the TPMS now active, but since I am driving on my winter tires I will wait with the sensors installation until time comes to change the wheels.
Price-wise, you will find used BCM for USD $50-60, you can find genuine sensors for about USD $25-30 each if you search well.

Both BCMs also support LKAS, so I see next project coming some time this year. Such retrofit has been done in Korea.

Attachments

·
Registered
251 Posts
Very cool. I'd love to know how to retrofit a heated steering wheel, although I don't know if it will be worth it cost-wise. If I have to replace the steering wheel itself with one that has a built-in heating element, I will likely skip.

I didn't know Canadian cars didn't have TPMS - that's just odd.

·
Registered
2,334 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Very cool. I'd love to know how to retrofit a heated steering wheel, although I don't know if it will be worth it cost-wise. If I have to replace the steering wheel itself with one that has a built-in heating element, I will likely skip.

I didn't know Canadian cars didn't have TPMS - that's just odd.

Heated steering wheel - yes, replacement of clock spring, steering wheel, BCM and LH console switches are required. Plus you will have to run some wires. Get P/N from Albert of FB group. I can make a write-up on how to proceed including diagrams with block pins identification.

TPMS - no, it is not mandatory, although now present in some higher end Hyundai models.

·
Registered
25 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
I have some long overdue updates on this project. For starters, there is another cluster variant code that will work better - the one in the original post was from Tucson (I cannot edit post any longer).
Use following CLU code from Avante Sport: 1C40
I needed to visit local tire shop to activate the sensors, as they are shipped dormant and this is something I could not do at home. Well, booking timeframe was 2.5weeks. Similar timeframe was in couple of other tire shops so in the end I purchased my own TPMS programmer, as I will need to code another set of TPMS sensors for the winter wheels as well as program my wife's car - overall scanner's price was less than 3 four wheels configurations (I was quoted between $57.50 and $85 to configure TPMS) so it already paid itself off.

Now - some new and exciting menu screens for the Canadian owners (owners from US/Australia/Asia are already familiar with these):
Tire pressure units - select from psi, kPa or bar

New display after starting the car - tire pressure information is under the 'service' menu

After couple of minutes of driving, the fields auto-populated! Too bad the tire temperature is not displayed although sensor does provide that information as well - I guess I cannot have everything ;-) My tire pressure is little off, but I am more than happy to have everything working in OE configuration.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Good job. I would think the drastic weather changes would wreak havoc on tpms and you trying to keep the right inflation. In fl when theres a 15 degree drop my pressure lowers and I need to refill. I remember being in ND and it was 30 degree changes daily

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks. Same here during the winter, as temperature may change by 20-25C in a matter of hours. Nasty crap. Apparently, this is less of an issue is tires are filled with nitrogen - helps with limiting pressure variance and the sensor not freezing due to moisture inside the tire. So they say lol.

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
Air pressures will increase or decrease depending on temps, quite normal. They say to set them to standard pressure (usually on the door jam - 33 psi for this car) around 70*F. (~21*C) They will increase about 3-5 psi while driving, and can decrease while cold but doesn't mean they need more air.

·
Registered
1 Posts
May I ask where did you purchase the BCM from?

Thank youy

This feature was on the list of my "wants" for quite some time and not available in vehicles sold in Canada. Interestingly, in majority of other developed countries and in the EU, this feature is mandatory. My dealer had no interest in any support, simply said "can't help you".

Our (Canadian) BCM (body control module) does not support TPMS. It was crucial to select BCM that will be compatible and will support existing features as well as the TPMS.

Parts needed:
BCM (2017 production year): 95400F2090
BCM (2018 production year): 95400F2092
4x TPMS wheel sensor: 52933F2000

BCM is pure plug and play, nothing changes to the operation of the car (for US owners, these BCMs do support heated steering wheel if you want to retrofit as well as front and rear parking sensors). Next, you do need to visit the dealer (unless you have GDS or another coding hardware). TPMS feature needs to be activated (dealer can do that). If they do not know the variant code, it is 5C40. From this moment, hidden menu activates in the instrument cluster. Next step is to install and pair the TPMS sensors. If you have GDS, it can be done from the software level by entering unique code printed on each TPMS sensor and assigning code to LF, LR, RF and RR location. You are done.

I have the TPMS now active, but since I am driving on my winter tires I will wait with the sensors installation until time comes to change the wheels.
Price-wise, you will find used BCM for USD $50-60, you can find genuine sensors for about USD $25-30 each if you search well.

Both BCMs also support LKAS, so I see next project coming some time this year. Such retrofit has been done in Korea.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts