Elantra Sport Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked up a 2019 Elantra Sport 3 days ago. Found this forum, so stopped by to say hi.

What led a 57 year old guy to an Elantra Sport?

I retired from the Air Force in 2004. After starting my second career I rewarded myself with a 2004 Dodge SRT-4. I was a lifelong Dodge guy and always liked small cars. That thing was a blast. Did some auto-crossing and put quite a few upgrades on the SRT. In 2011 they moved our work location. My daily drive went from 15 miles to 50 miles. The SRT wasn't getting it on Oklahoma's less than perfect roads, so I bought a 2011 Hyundai Sonata Limited Turbo. A great car which made my commute much easier to handle. 5 months ago they moved my office back close to my house. Since my commute is now 14 miles a day, I wanted to get back in a small car. After a couple months of research, I popped for a blue Elantra Sport Turbo with DCT.

Best way I can describe it is it's a cross between my Sonata and the SRT-4. Quicker than the Sonata, not as quick as the SRT. Better handling than both stock. I had put Tein coil-overs and Hotchkis adjustable sway bars on the SRT for auto-crossing, so it's not fair to compare it to that.

The DCT is taking some getting used to. From a stop it's a bit slow to fully engage, but 2nd and up it shifts pretty solidly. I do like feeling the gear shifts. The paddle shifters work well. I don't remember reading it had rev-matching, but it seems like it does when down shifting.

Being an older guy I'm giving it an easy break-in. Some habits are hard to break. Maybe when I start stomping on it the clutch engagement from a stop will be quicker.

I've always been into handling more than straight line. I'll be doing some modest suspension upgrades as they become available.

Looking forward to learning from ya'll.

·
Registered
2,958 Posts
Welcome. Suspension wise the car is the same as the '17-18 models so you can use anything available for them. There is a good selection already, I would recommend checking out Pierce Motorsport for chassis bracing. They also have a 19mm rear sway bar. SXTH Element has a 22mm rear bar if you would like something larger. There's a few lowering springs on the market (Storm and Meccatune being Korean options) and Eibach is currently in development of some. Coilovers.....a few good options if you want to go that route.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Welcome. Suspension wise the car is the same as the '17-18 models so you can use anything available for them. There is a good selection already, I would recommend checking out Pierce Motorsport for chassis bracing. They also have a 19mm rear sway bar. SXTH Element has a 22mm rear bar if you would like something larger. There's a few lowering springs on the market (Storm and Meccatune being Korean options) and Eibach is currently in development of some. Coilovers.....a few good options if you want to go that route.
Thanks for the recommendation. I had found the Pierce bar. I like the 3-position attachment so you can tune the stiffness.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Congratulations and thank you for your service. Although being from Canada I definitely envy all service men and women from the military.

Without knowing your intended build path I’d say just keep it simple and reliable. I won’t plug a specific brand because I feel that comes down to personal preference but with that said I definitely will agree with a rear sway bar! If I may also suggest a strut tower bar. Springs are a great choice for this platform. Apparently pot holes are car enthusiasts as well. Tires! Tires! Tires! Obviously. I’d say with everything mentioned (as I myself am running on the same setup in all seasons) you could easily branch off to power (or stopping power) from here. Definitely these parts are within budget and should ease your 14 mile commute.
Thanks Mapleman. The organization I spent most of my Air Force career with has several permanent Canadian positions in it. I've flown with many of your countrymen over the years. In my current civilian job with the Air Force I've spent some time at MDA in Vancouver. They built the CanadaArm for the space station. On one of my trips I got to meet a Canadian astronaut that spent time on the station.

I may try the some autocross with the Sport, so I'll keep your advice in mind.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Pierce bar is non-adjustable 19mm. The SXTH bar can be adjusted for either 19 or 22mm stiffness but will require adjustable endlinks.
Their description says it has has "three different settings of adjustability". The Hotchkis bars I had on my SRT-4 had two attachment points for the end-links to adjust stiffness. I guess I assumed that's what Pierce meant. Is that not true?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.