Elantra Sport Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone!

Really enjoying the Elantra sport, this is my second car (first new one), and decided to go for the manual. I spent over a year looking for a new car to replace my 19 year old Acura and have been really satisfied with my purchase. I only wish we got the Korean spec in the states (power seats, power mirrors, red leather, rear a/c vents, heated/cooled seats, heated steering wheel, rear parking sensors, rear heated seats) WTF Hyundai!! I really wanted the electric blue color but no one in the area had one. Just hit 1000 miles, I didn't even notice because I was thinking how comfortable the seats are :D. I know very little about modding cars but am excited to learn more. I have some questions if anyone could help clear my confusion:

1. I have been reading on the forum that at 1000 miles people are doing oil changes, is this necessary/good?

2. I have been going back and forth about the K&N filter or the Shorty big gulp. I'm leaning towards the big gulp, however I'm not sure exactly how to install it (I'm confused about the recirculation tube and generally what tools/steps I'll need etc.).

3. Does installing the big gulp effect the ecu/engine? I know the ecu will compensate for the increased air flow but will it damage anything by doing so?

Thanks!

·
Registered
78 Posts
I'm upset about the cooled seats.

1: I don't think it could be stated 'necessary', however for most people that see the car as more than a point a to b thing, it would be highly suggested. The reason being, there will be very fine pieces of metal from the break-in, and start-up lubricants left from the factory. Getting rid of that, quickly, and starting it with your preferred oil, would be a good idea. Everyone has there own idea on oil, but Amsoil is well loved, and I use 10W-40

2: The vendor Tork, has many youtube videos. I forget the exact tools, but it's very simple. With both those options mentioned, you're still using the factory intake hose, so the re-circulation hose will stay in place, it will however be a bit louder(more so with the big gulp)when the turbo releases it's pressure coming off the accelerator. Many guys are simply removing the hose from the tube entirely, and plugging the nipple on the tube. This is largely done, to prevent the turbo from pushing hot, pressurized air into the intake for no real reason, other than noise suppression.

3: There is no negative side effect or resulting damage, for allowing the car to breath easier. The only downside, is the car intake is louder, as a result of increased air flow.

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
This is largely done, to prevent the turbo from pushing hot, pressurized air into the intake for no real reason, other than noise suppression.
There are no negative effects from this though, according to Mark at SXTH.

And the factory BPV sounds way better in recirulation than just venting to the atmosphere.

·
Registered
241 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
The only real downside I seen is with long cold air intakes that go down the engine bay a bit. Seen that setup with some older Honda's and in winter the engine would get too cold or if they drove in too much water it would get too close to the intake.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Welcome

Welcome to the forum. I too say congrats on the stick. Autos, DCTs and CVTs have their place for sure, but my opinion, it is so engaging to stir your own gears.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Welcome to the forum. I too say congrats on the stick. Autos, DCTs and CVTs have their place for sure, but my opinion, it is so engaging to stir your own gears.
It's engaging to stir your own gears, yes. The DCT has its own charm though. The instant shifts mean that you get a nice surge of torque on each upshift as you get back into the optimal power curve.

There isn't a wrong decision with this car. Congrats on getting an Elantra Sport!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts