Elantra Sport Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The title is pretty self explanatory, I a (16 year old) spent all my money on a beautiful silver ES. I have high intentions to modify my car but am low on budget. I want to modify the exterior and do some performance mods but as I said I'm low on money. Any suggestions?

Some questions you may have:

I bet this kid is spoiled by mommy and daddy - (Before anyone comments your parents bought me the car, no, I purchased a silver ES all by myself by doing youtube videos as well as buying and reselling clothing items)

Have you done anything to your car already? - (Yes I have, I have a K&N filter and a front tow mount for my licence plate)

·
Registered
241 Posts
Which tow mount did you get? Curious to see if any will suit my slim Australian plate.

Cheapest thing I did to mine so far would be these for a bit of extra exterior appeal. 2x Fit For Hyundai Elantra 2017 Front Head Light Eyelid Cover Trim Eyebrow Black | eBay

Other cheap exterior mod was debadging the Elantra and SR badges (yours will be 'sport', the SR is Aus market) and plastidipping the H emblem black.

I also tinted the car and did a tint 'banner' across the top of the front windscreen, but that isn't the cheapeast mod really. Looking to tint the tail lights and plasti dip the rear reflectors.

I just did a cone filter adapted onto the stock intake tube for an intake, sounds good.

·
Super Moderator
1,198 Posts
First - welcome to the ES forums!

Second: My suggestion to you would be to wait on modding until people start selling used aftermarket parts. You'll get good value for your dollar at that point and will know what to expect from those mods.

·
Registered
88 Posts
What do you do on YouTube? Welcome to the forums dude! Take voodoo's second comment to heart, very smart thing to do. Enjoy the car for a little while as it is, sand down and pain those stock wheels semigloss black. And then scratch off the chrome on the grill and/or dip it black. In total that's like 20-30$. Could also paint calipers red but that's kind of a last season thing(even though I love the look)

·
Registered
228 Posts
Nothing wrong with being on a low budget. I've been modding cars since highschool (a 93 camry), I know how it feels to be eager to modify, but no funds to back it up. Here is a list of what I'd focus on at first (in that order):

- debadge elantra and sport from the back. Paint the rear H emblem some nice metallic gray or gloss black. Don't just do matte black, that looks cheap on lighter painted cars. The front badge is hard to remove without breaking it, so I'd advise against it.

- if your car is a manual, then a custom ball type shift knob would make a nice change. That's around $30-150.

- the tork or sixth element resonator delete pipe (around 20 bucks), gives a bit more turbo sound and supposedly a bump in power (I didn't notice any), but either way, a good mod for the price and a nice motivational boost as you get to spend some time underneath your car installing it (it's easy), just be safe and use jack stands, also some blocks.

- for a bit more intake sound you can do what I did and cut a few large holes in the lower stock intake box. The more it's opened up, the louder. It won't do anything for power, but the car will sound more lively, especially with the k&n filter. Essentially a free mod and looks completely stock. Or get the shorty big gulp kit from tork which is under $100, sounds great, and is way easy to install.

- headlight eyelid covers (around $20): they make the headlights look a bit thinner. They come in gloss black, totally worth the money. I like the look a lot. The stock headlights are too tall and silly looking.

- Window tint: best mod on any new car. 35% front sides, 20% rear sides, 5% on the back. Ranges from $180 to 250.

- custom muffler or muffler delete. This could be a cheap or a slightly pricy mod depending on your choices of muffler and tips and your sound preference. I recommend running a straight-through muffler as it keeps the sound more civilized.

- wheel spacers ($150-200). They make a huge difference in look. But I'd still suggest saving up for new rims. You can get good ones for 300-500 and use the stock tires. Labor is around 120 to get everything swapped out.

I haven't mentioned any suspension mods because, as of yet, there aren't really any budget options aka springs that have been tried.

I don't recommend plastidipping wheels because your first visit to a tire shop will result in that crap peeling around the lips and lug nut areas. Leave the wheels as they are: classy and durable.

·
Registered
17 Posts
What do you do on YouTube? Welcome to the forums dude! Take voodoo's second comment to heart, very smart thing to do. Enjoy the car for a little while as it is, sand down and pain those stock wheels semigloss black. And then scratch off the chrome on the grill and/or dip it black. In total that's like 20-30$. Could also paint calipers red but that's kind of a last season thing(even though I love the look)
any vids/pics on how to take the off the grill to dip it in black?

·
Registered
18 Posts
LEDs are cheap and make a big difference in both appearance and output. Here are the two I've done so far:

License Plate: T10/168/194/2825
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01AHVND46

Backup: 2835-SMD/906/912/920/921/W16W
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B012PTE3Z6

Also, another vote for headlight eyelines. They match the gloss black trim of the grille perfectly. Stick with the $20 set. There's M&S ones out there for like $70+. Exactly the same from what I can tell.

·
Registered
1 Posts
You know, there was a time in my life when I didn't even have enough money to buy food. I tried to find a job and save money, but I couldn't. but I found an article and this article had some tips on how to manage your budget and save money. This is a kind of financial adviser. I took advantage of these tips and now wonder how much money I have already earned. So, guys, sometimes it's great to make money, sometimes it's better to find ways to organize your budget.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts