Elantra Sport Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Spoke to Hyundai and their service is all chemical, the guy said they don’t take anything apart. Cost is $275 US in Chicago and it is recommended every 15,000 miles.

So the question...

I am thinking this is nothing more than what we can do at home with a can of crc valve cleaner for $15 and an hours time. I know in non turbo application this is pretty safe but with turbo there are concerns such as what does the chemical do to the cold side of the turbo and will any chunks cause damage on the hot side.

Let’s leave the catch can out because not everyone can run one especially in cold weather and the final verdict on the liquid composition that it collects is still out. With or without carbon deposits is something we will have to tackle.

What are the opinions on the dealer service? At home crc? Or the utilmate solution which is expensive walnut blast?

·
Registered
2,935 Posts
There won't be any "chunks" to damage the turbo. Pre-turbo side is pretty clean as is. Best to spray it in post turbo, closer to the intake manifold. My car has almost 46k miles and I had the intake off this weekend to get access to the firewall and the J-pipe to the turbo was clean.

I know you said leave the catch can out of the equation, but to be honest if you are trying to keep the valves clean that is the best thing you can do. The amount of nasty sludge that I dump out of mine on a monthly basis is terrible. You can probably skip putting one on the breather side as I hardly get anything out of there, but on the PCV side I would highly recommend it. Plenty of people running cans in colder weather, you just have to keep up on it.

·
Registered
174 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I performed it few days ago (first time ever) sprayed after the air filter into the tube leading to the j pipe and turbo. Sprayed slowly while my dad was keeping the rpms in 2.2k (my wife couldn’t keep the rpms, the pedal is very sensitive). The engine did not stumble I had no engine codes or anything which makes you wonder if anything was achieved! I guess the only noticeable thing is that my exhaust tips were absolutely covered in the usual back fine dust or carbon and I had just cleaned them up few days prior. Car never had issues and it drives and feels the same after this.

This might be one of those snake oil things and we won’t know for sure what we are accomplishing until much later on.

I will probably do this as a maintenance item once per year or 20k miles.

If anyone has details on what the dealer does exactly that will help confirm if we are ok with the home treatment of crc.

·
Registered
174 Posts
I just followed the instructions and sprayed in intake. It felt good after but not sure if my mind playing tricks. Will continue to do this at service intervals as well.
Okay, thank you.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Was looking into this myself. While watching videos of people using CRC I noticed it was sprayed into the intake. Looked easy enough. Then I found a Hyundai dealer that posted a video about it and it looks like they use a “pressurized chemical”, could be their version of CRC, but they spray it right into the engine itself. Thought?

https://youtu.be/YagT130xBV8

·
Registered
90 Posts
Was looking into this myself. While watching videos of people using CRC I noticed it was sprayed into the intake. Looked easy enough. Then I found a Hyundai dealer that posted a video about it and it looks like they use a “pressurized chemical”, could be their version of CRC, but they spray it right into the engine itself. Thought?

https://youtu.be/YagT130xBV8
Looks the same as what I did but with a $40 CRC bottle. Took the intake pipe off and sprayed in the intake while my Dad revs to 2k. Car really does feel great afterwards.

·
Registered
131 Posts
There is a vacuum hose/port on the throttle body--it's just to the right of the intake manifold when looking down on the motor. Spray in there. I'm just about ready for my 2nd go with the CRC stuff.

Reactions: Voodoo Idol

·
Registered
174 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Updated* Just finished up using CRC. RPMs were kind all over the place but never above 2500, every time we shot the stuff in it dropped down to 1500 and below 1000 a couple of times. Car feels pretty good so far though. For comparison, this morning idle after driving into work was around 700-800 and you could feel that the car was on, after CRC warm idle was at 600 and I couldn’t even feel the car vibrating. Gonna let it heat soak for an hour or so then drive home, I’ll give another update in a day or so to provide feedback in re: to performance/MPG. (PS car has 14k miles)

·
Registered
1 Posts
Looks the same as what I did but with a $40 CRC bottle. Took the intake pipe off and sprayed in the intake while my Dad revs to 2k. Car really does feel great afterwards.
The difference is they pump it in at higher PSI with the machine and the chemical is more concentrated. I'll be doing this on my own vehicle soon but I did the fuel injector service using the pressurized can and it was better than any other fuel treatment I've tried.

The service in the video would deal much better with hardened deposits than simply spraying CRC from an aerosol can. Unless you started using CRC from about 15,000 miles or so before carbon started to build up and harden.

That's my understanding anyways.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.