Elantra Sport Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Banned
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was wondering where you can check to see if your infotainment system has an update. I've been poking around on Hyundai's site and can find much about it anywhere.
I just got my 2018 Elantra Sport on Sunday and it is GREAT, but the touchscreen seems a bit slow at times. Nothing crazy, but I am wondering if a software update could fix it.

·
Banned
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I just wanted to update here and let you guys know that I sold my ES after only about 2 1/2 months of ownership.
Flat out, this is not a good car. The infotainment is slow and inconsistent, the transmission is terrible, there is way too much road noise, and the build quality of the interior is cheap.
I understand if your experience with your ES differs from mine, but based on my experience I would absolutely not recommend this car to anyone.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Best of luck, Brett. I feel like most of your complaints are things you could have sussed out during the test drive or at the dealer before buying the car. Would be curious to know what you consider to be a good infotainment system as this one seems pretty responsive, well laid out, and as a plus has physical buttons for most of the important features.

·
Registered
188 Posts
I just wanted to update here and let you guys know that I sold my ES after only about 2 1/2 months of ownership.
Flat out, this is not a good car. The infotainment is slow and inconsistent, the transmission is terrible, there is way too much road noise, and the build quality of the interior is cheap.
I understand if your experience with your ES differs from mine, but based on my experience I would absolutely not recommend this car to anyone.
You must suck ass at test driving cars.

Don't let the door hit you on the way out.

·
Registered
44 Posts
My infotainment system works fine. Other than the row boat long shifts of the six speed it is a solid transmission (will fix with a short shifter). The interior is about on par with similarly priced vehicles. Heck, for $20,500 for a premium package 2018 there isn't another car that comes remotely as close for bang for buck. Good luck with your future choice.

·
Registered
342 Posts
I've had no issues with the infotainment system. The 6sp manual is fine for me - the throws are a bit long, but definitely not horrible. Like others have said, a test drive would have easily exposed all this.

For me, this has got to be one of the best bang-for-buck cars out there bar none.

I hope your next vehicle won't disappoint you as much as the ES - I'm genuinely curious as to what that vehicle would be as I'm always open to other options I may not have considered.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!

·
Registered
2,940 Posts
I feel like most of your complaints are things you could have sussed out during the test drive or at the dealer before buying the car.
This x100000

My experience will all those listed "negatives" are actually quite positive. Infotainment is great, goes fast enough for me (and it's much faster than most out there, believe me I know as I work for a manufacture and drive all sorts of cars on a daily basis) Shifter is good to start but with some nice solid bushings it's fantastic. Road noise.....it's an inexpensive sporty compact car with low profile tires and a stiff suspension. What did you expect? And the interior, well, last sentence applies here as well.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Be sure to let us know what you get to replace it!

Personally, even with the mediocre interior, I have been very satisfied with everything including the infotainment system.
Also, I don't get why everyone complains about road noise. According to car and driver's test it is quieter than pretty much all the other sport compacts, including the GTI and WRX.

If you wanted something smooth, nice, and quiet you should have gotten a used luxury car. Not a sport compact.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I don't know if I even agree that the interior is mediocre. Yes, the materials are fairly basic, but that's about what you would expect for the class and the price. The ergonomics, however, are fantastic and the location of all the controls just makes sense. Compare it to some other cars in the class like the Civic with no volume knob and the Mazda 3 with a tablet tacked on the dash and fiddly commander knob to control it, and you will realize that it's actually really well executed.

The steering wheel is also a high point and I think better than any other car in the class.

OP may be confusing materials quality with build quality, but build quality seems decent to me -- no rattles and everything is aligned properly.

·
Registered
188 Posts
This x100000

My experience will all those listed "negatives" are actually quite positive. Infotainment is great, goes fast enough for me (and it's much faster than most out there, believe me I know as I work for a manufacture and drive all sorts of cars on a daily basis) Shifter is good to start but with some nice solid bushings it's fantastic. Road noise.....it's an inexpensive sporty compact car with low profile tires and a stiff suspension. What did you expect? And the interior, well, last sentence applies here as well.
Compared to the current Mazda system and Ford's Sync 2, this system is fantastic. It's lightning fast and about as bug free as it gets. I'd happily give up some features to get this quick-operating system (and I did).

I think he had a DSG model IIRC so not much to compare there since I have a manual.

As far as the road noise goes, every review I read talked about it so I knew about it going in. It's a cheap compact car. It's going to have it. It's worlds better than our 2013 Elantra Limited was. The 2017 Civic I test drove wasn't any quieter on the highway.

This guy's post, to me, sounds like a person upset over buying the wrong car for them and looking for any and all justification to get rid of it. My recommendation is always to test drive just about anything and everything that compares to the car you're looking at so you're sure you've made the right decision.

·
Registered
131 Posts
I think the car is comfortable, and intuitive--for both controls and infotainment. I enjoy the simplicity of everything and the understated style--both inside and out. I have zero complaints of quality as far as fit and finish; the audio system could have a little more punch, and the shifter could be a bit shorter and more precise--but those are nit-picks. For a car that can be bought in the real world for under $18K, I can't see anything else that offers an enthusiast driver a better bang-for-the-buck.

Reactions: n0thing

·
Registered
175 Posts
Nt sure what trans you got but the 6 speed has been nice to drive. Shifts are a little long but a couple mods will help that. The infotainment is the best I've tried thus far (interface and comprehensive). Really have little to complain about here. I'm starting to think your post is simply a troll post- just to bad took so long to catch on haha.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I full heartily disagree with your statement. Good luck on your new ride though.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I like the system I just have a problem with the lack of bass in it. Im gonna take the stock speakers out and add a sub I already have. Oh I have the base system with out the sub.

This Brett guy is on crack he knows nothing about cars and value. Like someone else said you should have done your evaluation on the car in the test drive.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Wow how much of a bath did you take selling the Sport after only two months? (Or worse trading into a dealer?) And like everyone else, I'd love to know what you purchased to replace it? And how do you like this new ride?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.