Elantra Sport Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Warranty winner: ES
Interior Features: ES
Exterior Features: ES slightly (wish it had fog lights)
Fuel Econ: Civic Sport
Interior Dimensions: Civic Sport (hatch practicality)
Ride Quality: Civic Sport (and on wider tires)

more to come as I drive more...

·
Registered
76 Posts
Is this a Sport Touring trim Civic? If not I don't see how the exterior features would only be a "slight" win for the ES. It might not have fogs, but it has Bi-Xenon HID instead of the Civic Sport's halogens. That makes way more difference than fogs.

But interesting take. I really like the Civic Sport Touring, but a few things kept me from it. One it was much more expensive, two it has a CVT, and last it has no premium audio option.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Curious how fuel economy is already being judged. Willing to bet the ES will take that in the long run. Wider tires usually equal lower fuel economy.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I was getting on average 36 mpg with mixed driving. From what I hear about the ES, it's getting 22/30 which equates to 25 mpg mixed driving. So far I haven't filled up, so I don't know personally yet. But I gotta say 1.5T vs. 1.6T and 180 hp vs. 201 hp...gotta speak for something there.

As to the exterior features, yeah, the ES does have better headlights than the Civic. But I do wish I had foglights as I use them pretty much all the time. I go through alot of rural areas in the morning and they help alot. Both have LED tailights so that's a wash.

·
Registered
288 Posts
I’ll hand calc my next full up but with my drive to work with me driving normally, the onboard meter tells me I’m hitting 35mpg to work and back. I know this computer is much more accurate than my previous Elantra which was off by 3mpg. Even when I’ve been hard on it the lowest I’ve gotten is about 24-25. But I’ll hand calc next time and report back!

I do wish it had fogs though. I used the ones on my 2016 Elantra all the time with yellow bulbs.

·
Registered
2,855 Posts
I’ll hand calc my next full up but with my drive to work with me driving normally, the onboard meter tells me I’m hitting 35mpg to work and back. I know this computer is much more accurate than my previous Elantra which was off by 3mpg. Even when I’ve been hard on it the lowest I’ve gotten is about 24-25. But I’ll hand calc next time and report back!

I do wish it had fogs though. I used the ones on my 2016 Elantra all the time with yellow bulbs.
This one is off by about 3-4mpg as well. Lately my screen has been saying 33-36 and hand calculated it's been 30-33.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Mine only seems to be off by around 1.5-2. I drive around 60 miles a day, mixed; my cluster says I average 34, and my hand calculations average 32. I think you will find that the ES gets better mileage than advertised (unless you drive the **** out of it constantly).

Reactions: Voodoo Idol

·
Premium Member
1,226 Posts
I was getting on average 36 mpg with mixed driving. From what I hear about the ES, it's getting 22/30 which equates to 25 mpg mixed driving. So far I haven't filled up, so I don't know personally yet. But I gotta say 1.5T vs. 1.6T and 180 hp vs. 201 hp...gotta speak for something there.

As to the exterior features, yeah, the ES does have better headlights than the Civic. But I do wish I had foglights as I use them pretty much all the time. I go through alot of rural areas in the morning and they help alot. Both have LED tailights so that's a wash.
I get 32 - 34 mpg in mixed driving in the ES, and I do not drive gently.

·
Registered
32 Posts
well dont know too much bout the turbo charged civics, but my 9th gen with a R18, i get about 5mpg less than that overall, yet have quite literally have almost twice the whp. the last couple cars i have had are civics, they never ever got their rated mpg, like ever! yet my elantra gets consistently better than rated. go figure. i owned a 1991 mr2 turbo back in the day, it was literally 800lbs lighter, yet got 10mpg less, 200hp, 200tq, so very similar power levels. i think the elantra in context is a great car for efficiency. but i realize this is more or a comparison to a civic sport hatch. but still ... other than just looking too large for me, i really like the civic sport. compact cars just look too big for me these days. look at the evolution of the civic, at once time they were a small and light car, now they are heavy midsized cars... lol

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The Civic Sport Hatch grew in size because they based it off the current Civic Sedan which was welcome by my rear passengers seeing the amount of legroom they got. Alot of my uber passengers also liked the quality of the interior saying that they were impressed with the fact that it was a Honda Civic and I guess expected it to be something more upscale...perhaps closer to that of a VW Golf.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Your fifth comparison is the reason I have a GT Sport.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts