Elantra Sport Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’ve had this car, ‘17 sport 6MT, for about 5 years and recently decided to start modding it. Main reason is, I’m sick of the lag in power I get pretty frequently. I’m done with the boost that is nonexistent after about 3500rpms. And also when I shift at a higher rpm, the throttle response lags on the next gear. I know this car can get some nice power with a few bolt-ons for sure, but I’m wondering if a tune would be necessary after a certain point. I’ve been looking into the cliche Exhaust and Intake upgrades. On top of that, I came across an intercooler resonator delete and waste gate solenoid upgrade. Would an ECU tune be necessary after these 4 upgrades? Or even if I just get an exhaust and intake, will that require a tune either way? I’d appreciate any kind of help and insight.
Thanks.

·
Registered
2,932 Posts
My first question is, have you done any maintenance on it for cleaning the intake valves? And the stock wastegate solenoid is junk, so I do recommend replacing that. Both of these can greatly effect how the car runs. As far as bolt ons go, you can throw everything at it and only gain about 10-15hp because the torque limiters in the ECU will put a stop to the fun. Don't waste the money on the intercooler resonator delete, it doesn't do anything. Just save for the full hot pipe replacement. To get full advantage of most modifications, a tune is needed. But with that comes colder spark plugs, running premium fuel, and at least one oil catch can on the PCV along with running 5w40 oil recommended.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My first question is, have you done any maintenance on it for cleaning the intake valves? And the stock wastegate solenoid is junk, so I do recommend replacing that. Both of these can greatly effect how the car runs. As far as bolt ons go, you can throw everything at it and only gain about 10-15hp because the torque limiters in the ECU will put a stop to the fun. Don't waste the money on the intercooler resonator delete, it doesn't do anything. Just save for the full hot pipe replacement. To get full advantage of most modifications, a tune is needed. But with that comes colder spark plugs, running premium fuel, and at least one oil catch can on the PCV along with running 5w40 oil recommended.
I haven’t done a thing, but standard maintenance.Good to know that the intercooler resonator delete is a waste, thanks! As for a wastegate solenoid, that’s just a simple plug and play right? I’m definitely not trying to get full potential out of this car. It’s become my daily, but I do want some noticeable power out of it. I’m only looking at an axleback, intake and that solenoid upgrade now. Would that be fine without a tune? Mainly for that intake considering it would be a lot more air? Going to have to clean them intake valves before I do that though.

·
Registered
2018 Elantra Sport 6MT Electric Blue
136 Posts
I haven’t done a thing, but standard maintenance.Good to know that the intercooler resonator delete is a waste, thanks! As for a wastegate solenoid, that’s just a simple plug and play right? I’m definitely not trying to get full potential out of this car. It’s become my daily, but I do want some noticeable power out of it. I’m only looking at an axleback, intake and that solenoid upgrade now. Would that be fine without a tune? Mainly for that intake considering it would be a lot more air? Going to have to clean them intake valves before I do that though.

if conditions are safe do you commonly drive with traction and control turned off (stability still on)? when I do I think I feel a slight improvement. I also always put premium gas in my case it's just 91 cuz of California and have been doing 5w40 full synthetic oil. Im stock everywhere else except for a gfb hybrid blow off valve that I'm sure doesn't really add any performance. I do have a windbooster pedal tuner I almost never use nowadays but if I want to spin my wheels and possibly hurt my transmission is there for me haha. I guess my point is about the early part of my post is that I feel the car kind of improves performance wise very slightly with just these changes regarding traction control turned off. I don't know though could be placebo

·
Registered
2019 ES, 6 speed, 34k, bone stock
7 Posts
Truthfully, any car that's thrown a bunch of bolt ons, will not gain much of anything without a tune. I don't know how these cars repsond to a big intake, without a maf cal, but my other car 100% needs a tuner to do a maf cal if you increase the diameter of the maf housing.

If you increase intake air volume, and a high flow 3" downpipe for better flow/turbo spool, but you don't tune for increased timing, boost, wastegate duty, etc, then app you're doing is making your ecu adjust fuel trims to maintain target AFR.

Simply, yes, you need a tune to extract any power from bolt ons.

·
Registered
2,932 Posts
Truthfully, any car that's thrown a bunch of bolt ons, will not gain much of anything without a tune. I don't know how these cars repsond to a big intake, without a maf cal, but my other car 100% needs a tuner to do a maf cal if you increase the diameter of the maf housing.

If you increase intake air volume, and a high flow 3" downpipe for better flow/turbo spool, but you don't tune for increased timing, boost, wastegate duty, etc, then app you're doing is making your ecu adjust fuel trims to maintain target AFR.

Simply, yes, you need a tune to extract any power from bolt ons.
These cars are MAP based, they don't have a MAF. They also like the biggest intake you can give them.

·
Registered
2019 ES, 6 speed, 34k, bone stock
7 Posts
These cars are MAP based, they don't have a MAF. They also like the biggest intake you can give them.
Edit: this is the maf sensor for the elantra. Part# 28164-2E000

Oh, I'm used to my Mazda, which has a MAP and MAF sensor. There no maf sensor in intake? Are there any Datalogs backing up that assertion about the cars loving the largest intake? I don't mean to be combative, but this is going to be my wife's car.. My platform requires a very specific tune to be dialed in for any mods, which I've done everything besides built block.

·
Registered
2,932 Posts
Edit: this is the maf sensor for the elantra. Part# 28164-2E000
That's for the 2.0L non-turbo cars. The 1.6 turbo cars are MAP based. No MAF sensor here.

Are there any Datalogs backing up that assertion about the cars loving the largest intake?
Contact Mark at SXTH Element Engineering and he can fill you in.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts