Elantra Sport Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Title says it all, I am all stock for now, and probably a while. I’m in college and don’t have the time to get a proper job (I have family issues preventing me from having an open schedule) so I doordash a lot. Not the greatest car for it but I am making it work. Sadly I live in california so the cost of gas is insane but I’ve noticed that e85 is significantly cheaper, I know that the mpg would be worse but that’d be fine.
So my questions are would switching require any work done?
And if not can I just fill e85 mixed into 87 I’m running now or would I have to empty the tank?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Short awnser, no.

Long awnser, If you're saying you cant afford gas for this vehicle then it's time you got something within your means that dosent require 91 octane like a used prius. Do not put 87 with a mix of e85, this engine was built for 91/93,anything besides that was cause issues down the road that you will not be able to repair

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
Title says it all, I am all stock for now, and probably a while. I’m in college and don’t have the time to get a proper job (I have family issues preventing me from having an open schedule) so I doordash a lot. Not the greatest car for it but I am making it work. Sadly I live in california so the cost of gas is insane but I’ve noticed that e85 is significantly cheaper, I know that the mpg would be worse but that’d be fine.
So my questions are would switching require any work done?
And if not can I just fill e85 mixed into 87 I’m running now or would I have to empty the tank?
You cannot run straight E85, no.

You can run up to E30 but that requires mixing E85 with premium fuel and if you are looking to cut costs, I'm not going to bother typing out the procedure for that.

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
Silly me going by the owner's manual. Best of luck relying on your baseless intuition.
Owners manual simply says "87 or higher". Yes the car is programmed to run on 87, but it will 100% run it's best on higher octane, because the ECU will not have to pull timing as much. Especially when it's hot out. No, premium fuel will not add power, but it will prevent the ECU from reducing it.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Owners manual simply says "87 or higher". Yes the car is programmed to run on 87, but it will 100% run it's best on higher octane, because the ECU will not have to pull timing as much. Especially when it's hot out. No, premium fuel will not add power, but it will prevent the ECU from reducing it.
OP said "this engine was built for 91/93, anything besides that was cause issues down the road that you will not be able to repair," when in fact this engine was built for minimum 87 octane and using the minimum octane will not cause any irreparable issues down the road.

Your non sequitur is not even a little bit helpful.

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
OP said "this engine was built for 91/93, anything besides that was cause issues down the road that you will not be able to repair," when in fact this engine was built for minimum 87 octane and using the minimum octane will not cause any irreparable issues down the road.

Your non sequitur is not even a little bit helpful.
Maybe not for you but it's proper info for someone down the line. ;)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts