Elantra Sport Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

New member, first post.

I am about to pull the trigger on an Elantra Sport as it leaves me a little bit of cash to upgrade the car right out of the gate.

I was looking to do a few relatively simple modifications to increase the handling and performance.

I have a 2006 Elantra and had a 2004 and have purchased a bunch of stuff from Shark Racing (and KSPEC when they were around) for handling performance (tiburon KYB shocks, H&R lowering springs, moog endlinks, polyurethane bushings, bigger swaybars, strut braces, etc) and it really made a huge difference.

I was hoping to do more of the same on the new Elantra along with things such as the lightweight water pulley pump, upgraded intercooler, bigger throttle body, CAI, catch can, ECU tune and free flowing catback.

I wanted to get a better feel of any issue such mods may cause as I have not had a newer car (with its upgraded OBII and multitude of sensors) let alone a turbo car and want to see if such engine mods are worth it and will give me the gains I am hoping to get to add a little more performance to the car without causing CELs or starining the engine or transmission in these cars.

Any direction and input would be greatly appreciated.

Mike

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
I would avoid the lighter pulley, especially on a new car. You likely won't see any benefit from it anyway.

First handling upgrade you should do is the rear sway bar. You can get one from Pierce Motorsport (19mm) or SXTH Element (adjustable 19 or 22mm). The stock endlinks bolt to the 22mm holes, you will need adjustable links to use the 19mm holes. Next would be better tires. The Hankooks are OK, but they leave a lot to be desired. A bigger leap for grip is a nice set of coilovers. I personally have the Yellowspeed Racing setup and they have served me well. Great range of adjustment (32 clicks - you can go way softer than stock if you want) and I run them around 20 front, 18 rear for daily use and it's just slightly stiffer than stock.

For performance, you can use a 60mm throttle body from any newer 2.0 GDI equipped car. Bolts right up, but the stock rubber elbow is a super tight fit. Requires some ingenuity on your part. Most intakes for this car are short ram. A full CAI isn't going to help much here since the turbo heats up the air anyway. For that and the intercooler I recommend SXTH Element. Their stuff may seem a bit pricey but you get what you pay for. I mean, who wouldn't love CNC billet end tanks? ECU tune, go with Lap3. They hold the HP record at the moment and have countless tunes sold with zero issues. Plus David Chung is the man.

Exhaust, that one is up to you. 2.5" is fine, you can go with pre-built systems from SXTH or you can build your own setup like I did.

Overall, expect to make around 230whp max on the stock turbo. Engine can go to 320whp without internal upgrades. Lap3 has multiple cars around 340whp with a rod upgrade. Manual transmission is good whatever you throw at it. DCT starts to hit the limit with the stock clutch packs around 250-280wtq.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the comprehensive answer...I would be fine with 230hp at the wheels in this car, especially since I need to get a DCT so my wife can drive it, so more power necessitating transmission upgrades is out of the realm of what I am willing to put into the car.

Awesome info on the TB and sway bars.

Any sound clips of your exhaust R1600Turbo?

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
Thanks for the comprehensive answer...I would be fine with 230hp at the wheels in this car, especially since I need to get a DCT so my wife can drive it, so more power necessitating transmission upgrades is out of the realm of what I am willing to put into the car.

Awesome info on the TB and sway bars.

Any sound clips of your exhaust R1600Turbo?
This is the latest.

·
Registered
288 Posts
If you tune, follow it up with the SXTH upgraded intercooler

EASILY the best thing I’ve done to this car to date, the difference it makes is incredible.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.