Elantra Sport Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I own a 2011 VW GTI 3 door with a stick I bought new. It's been a great car and has had very little trouble in my 118K of ownership. I'm getting bored of it and am wanting something new. I test drove a Elantra Sport today and was not impressed with it's power. It seems my stock GTI is much faster even though the 0-60 times are about the same. I live in a federal state, not a state that follows California emissions. But I know when I bought my GTI, some had fed emissions and some had California emissions. I drove a California emissions GTI and it did feel slower than what I bought, even though they have the same HP.

So, does Hyundai have two different tunes on these Elantra Sports? Or do they all have PZEV emissions like Subaru has on all there cars?
I love everything about the car except that it feels slow and I'm not modding anything I buy.

·
Registered
336 Posts
The ES is not comparable to the GTI.

I'm pretty sure that all new vehicles sold in the USA are 50-state compliant (which includes California CARB certification). It is too expensive for a car company to retune and manage/track inventory between 50-state and 49-state emissions. That said, I'm sure tuners can modify the ECU to provide more gains and maintain 49-state emissions, although I'm not sure how much gains would be had going that route.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I own a 2011 VW GTI 3 door with a stick I bought new. It's been a great car and has had very little trouble in my 118K of ownership. I'm getting bored of it and am wanting something new. I test drove a Elantra Sport today and was not impressed with it's power. It seems my stock GTI is much faster even though the 0-60 times are about the same. I live in a federal state, not a state that follows California emissions. But I know when I bought my GTI, some had fed emissions and some had California emissions. I drove a California emissions GTI and it did feel slower than what I bought, even though they have the same HP.

So, does Hyundai have two different tunes on these Elantra Sports? Or do they all have PZEV emissions like Subaru has on all there cars?
I love everything about the car except that it feels slow and I'm not modding anything I buy.
The GTI is probably not faster. My friend has a 2012 GTI DSG. We've Dragged from stops and rolls and my DCT Elantra crawls away every time. That being said we've driven each other's cars and both agree that the GTI feels faster and is way more fun to drive where my car is actually faster but doesn't feel as fast. The GTI also has torque vectoring and a shorter wheelbase so it handles nicer. That being said my car has a long list of features that the GTI doesn't, gets way better gas mileage and has a 100k mile warranty. If you're looking for something more fun than your GTI, this car is not it. But the Elantra is easier to live with, quieter, and more comfortable in my opinion.
Maybe you should consider an mk7 GTI, the dealers in my area have them for about the same price as my car was after incentives. I love my car but if they were that cheap when I bought mine I'd have gotten one of those instead!

·
Registered
49 Posts

Also, if you punch it before the engine is warmed up all the way it is extremely underwhelming. It has a back down of some kind to protect the engine. I made the same mistake when I test drove it for the first time. This car takes a very long time to warm up.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts