Elantra Sport Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was anybody aware that we can put a JB4 tune in this car. I have a 2018 Elantra Sport DCT. I spoke to Burger Tuning yesterday and they said I was able to get the JB4 and put it in the car like all the other plug and play chips. I previously had a 2011 BMW 335d and had the chip in that vehicle. I am curious if anyone has it or how it compares to the Lap 3 tune. I have been following everyone and their tunes from Lap 3. Seems like an excellent product. Just curious considering the cost difference of the JB4 being under 500 bucks. They are very big with the german cars but that doesn't mean its necessarily any good for this car. I haven't done anything yet. I am just looking for a little more umph when I hit the gas. Not trying to spend Thousands into tunes and upgrades but trying to have a little more fun if you know what I mean. I would love to hear what others think.

·
Registered
2,858 Posts
I'd highly recommend just getting a proper tune. These plug and play boost chips just do not compare to a real tune. You may get a slight bump in power, but reliability is sketchy especially when you start adding mods. The saying "you get what you pay for" comes to mind. Cheaper is not always better.

·
Registered
45 Posts
OP, yes I too had a JB4. Used it pretty extensively in my 2011 335i (N55). I didn’t know they had one for the ES but now I’m intrigued. I’ll have to do some research. I am very impressed with the RaceChip that I installed last week though. I did like how the JB4 can be tweaked and updated depending on mods which is a benefit not afforded by RaceChip.

I’ve had piggybacks, I’ve had tunes using factory ECUs, I’ve had standalone ECUs and they’re all solid options. There are differences that make one more well suited than the others depending on the person and their goals.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I spoke to Burger Tuning yesterday and they said I was able to get the JB4 and put it in the car like all the other plug and play chips.
Must be nice: "Burger Motorsports, Inc. has ceased selling performance parts in California."
CARB

I'm noticing more vendors that won't ship performance parts likes exhausts and intakes to California.

·
Registered
336 Posts
They all seem to have this Disclaimer about California now. I guess Emissions are strict there.
It is, thanks to CARB. I'd love to move, but it isn't so easy when you have to take care of in-laws, kids in school, and for work, there has been an overall reversal of software engineers to come into the office whereas before you could work remotely.

That said, there are well-established tuners that are CARB compliant. APR and Weistec both make great products that are CARB compliant and will call out any of their stuff that isn't. No idea regarding the Hyundai/Kia scene - it's definitely smaller/less developed. That's going to change though given that more folks are realizing that Hyundai/Kia make competent vehicles.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts