Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
just drop this here,
only got 4-5 hours to work on the car this weekend
the welds are terrible but will be reweld with a TIG

so the setup is:
cold side, from stock pipe with a 2" to 2.5" straight

hot side, will cut the stock rubber tube add a 2" joiner and a 2" to 2.5" 90 degre

intercooler, is a 450X300X76 core originally 3" opening
pressure test OK and cut the 2 ends
use the 4 stock bolting point (but looking to add 2 more since it is heavier and stock bracket is plastic)

should work on it the weekend

Attachments

·
Registered
26 Posts
This I/C looks huge, but it have a little more volume than the Tork FMIC, therefore is not too big for the stock tiny turbo. I like that you have more front area for heat transfer. Your're going to remove the crash bar to take advantage of the front area? This FMIC + Crash bar delete + MS Front Grill = Killer Look and have to perform great (but don't crash it please)

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
I did remove the crash bar for test and fitting. but it can't be remove, it is a important part of the front structure.
the entire front fall down as soon as I remove it, light, rad, front sub frame...

I don't plan to go MS grill but you are right about the fact MS grill + tube crash bar+ this IC setup would be optimal.

I know the section in front of the crash bar won't have as much air flow as it should but the IC core have more than a inch of clearance and the size fit pretty good the E fan behind the rad. So the fan should help get the max out of this unit.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Another option is to fabricate a crash bar like the one that SXTH have for the VT FMIC. It will maintain the structural integrity while provide more air flow to the new I/C.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
both end tanks shape and modeled (hammer shape round for smoother flow)
quick MIG weld in process of TIG welding but miss gas and filler rod.
#5-6 bolting points will be M8 isolated mount stud male/male screw on the crash bar to the top of the IC
should be finish next weekend

Attachments

Reactions: kdetlor

·
Registered
209 Posts
Awesome progress.... let's us know how you go after the install!

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Just install the heavy weight shift knob sold by Likebudda and did some data log

the actual set up don't let me go over 84.31% TB position. is it the ECU limiter, don't know?!
I floor it and it stay flat line to 84.31
PSI start to drop at 5k... really hope the IC will help on this.
timing advance is pretty linear up to 21 deg
intake, coolant, O2 1th bank, etc. temp is very good and steady.

btw the IC should be done tomorrow

Attachments

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #29 (Edited)
IC development... took me over 3 hours to pass my leak test... the Chinese piping i'm using got a really bad alu... every time, near the fusion point, small pine hole was appearing. But it is now done, but not install. this 3 hours didn't let me the time to finish the product.
still need to paint the end tank (I want it as stealth as possible) and fab the top bracket.

I don't get why our seller go as small as 7.6l IC when the stock one is 6l.
Torcon use a 600*300*76 (estimate from pics)

also take some measurement, stock piping is so small! I got 48mm ID on the cold side! I have the piping to built a cold side but not now... missing time.
but I'm sure this stock piping can deliver enough CFM for now, but there is no gain to change the TB for a 60mm without changing the piping.

FYI the IC finish cost me 200$US ;)

edit log graph add
4th pull from 2500 to 6000 rpm
boost start to fall at 5014 from 12.9 to 9.13 psi at 5986

Attachments

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
so this is my work of yesterday afternoon:
IC finish and install;
bracket for bolting points #5 - #6 fab, paint and install;
cold side connect and finish;
only slowdown... I didn't like how hot side was connecting so I'm fabricating a new hot side but only got 2" SS piping and mandrel. so not a real upgrade

ps yes the IC is not perfectly center and level and the top brackets perfectly align. it's those kind of thing I can live well with if it save me some pita

Attachments

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #31 (Edited)
product finish
hot pipe done
to let know every one stock pipe are 1.75" not 2" and this is why my original set-up didn't work.

my old 9X20 lathe had a hard time with the SS but the end product was perfect (I have a thicker wall " pipe to work with)

edit
add the datalog with the new IC
you can see the ECU dealing with the new PSI respond! ECU cut even more PSI and drop it over one PSI in the end range

Attachments

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
the datalog is to show what happen first time you add a part to our car. as soon as load go over 200% and WG can't control it the ECU close the TB.

few runs later everything is set in the ECU and the new learn map is set.
the dyno was done today for ref before I tune it.
you can see what all the add-on effect! boost a lot sooner, no fall at the end (HP) much smoother flow and linear curve.

now ready to tune!

Attachments

·
Registered
209 Posts
...to let know every one stock pipe are 1.75" not 2"...
Do you know if the hot side outlet of the turbo 1.75" or 2"?

I just got all my pipes delivered, will be fabricating soon...

Did you notice any lag with the bigger cooler?

Which vendor are you going to get to tune your car?

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
no lag at all! it spool a lot sooner

no idea of the turbo outlet but the one after the resonator is 1.75"

for the vendor, right now Tork is the only one that offer a tune with a dyno that doesn't look like a rollercoaster

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
for the vendor, right now Tork is the only one that offer a tune with a dyno that doesn't look like a rollercoaster
That largely depends on the dyno, and I would argue that Tork is the only one that's got a reputation for blown engines. It's your car, but I would recommend someone else.

·
Registered
209 Posts
JSV. I'll forward you some info via PM.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
guys not on my thread plz

I give as much info as I can on datalog, parts experience, installation and I do put result of what I have done
no bashing, I just try to put the community a step further of the RICER who change the bulbs for LED. add crazy ugly spoiler, think drop spring have anything to do with handling, add fake CF and try hard to find the best angle to picture they car...but never went to a drag strip or auto cross

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
no bashing, I just try to put the community a step further of the RICER who change the bulbs for LED. add crazy ugly spoiler, think drop spring have anything to do with handling, add fake CF and try hard to find the best angle to picture they car...but never went to a drag strip or auto cross
I haven't seen anyone doing that so far. Most builds have been extremely tasteful. This is not a Honda.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
I was referring to your FB group ;)

Reactions: [email protected]

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
I was referring to your FB group ;)
Aside from one or two, there are no ricers in my group. Which is growing by leaps and bounds daily, thank you very much. Also plenty in there go to the track, there just haven't been any lately because there's this thing called "winter" where tracks are closed.

21 - 40 of 57 Posts