Elantra Sport Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi just wanted to introduce myself and ask couple questions.

I'm located in Southern New England, so if anyone wants to do a meet up that would be nice as I don't see a lot of ES on the road here.

So, after a month of searching in the New England area and New York area, I finally found one dealership with a 2018 ES manual in silver, but no PP (so hard to find). I figured I don't need navigation since I use Android Auto a lot and the 18 comes with a power sun/moon roof. The only thing missing was the infinity sound system and auto dim rearview mirrors which I didn't justify spending another 2.5k on it. The base sound system sounds pretty decent so I would recommend to everyone just save your money unless auto dim rearview mirrors and blue link is important to you.

Now my question for everyone is what type of gas and motor oil is everyone using? The service department at Hyundai told me that 89 octane and regular motor oil is fine for this car. Is that true? Has anyone experienced issues with not using 93 and fully synthetic? I would think a sport/turbocharged car would require higher octane and better motor oil.

Also, how is everyone doing with their stock Hankook Ventus s1 noble2 all-weather performance tires? Winter is coming and I don't know if these tires would be good in the snow/rainy weather.

Lastly, I forgot to ask them to throw in all-weather floor mats, so any recommendations or just ordered the OEM one?

Let me know what you guys think and I hope to drive this car for a long time!

·
Registered
106 Posts
here in Canada, you get 5% discount on car insurance if you use winter tires. so its a no brainer for us, save money and safer on the road. I went with Michelle X-Ice 215/55R16 on steeles +45 offset, steering feels much lighter now compare to stock 18" one.

·
Registered
2,958 Posts
I've used 91 since day 1. It's been proven that the car runs slightly better on the higher octane. For oil, I am using Mobil 1 5w30 and OEM filter. Tires.....well it was 85 degree today so...... :p

·
Premium Member
1,226 Posts
Welcome to the ES forums!!

87 or 89 is supposed to be fine for this car, however, they are very much prone to knock and "super knock" (aka LSPI), and running a higher octane gas is a good preventative measure for that. As well, as this is a GDI motor and fuel system cleaners will never touch the intake valves, a cleaner burning fuel is a very good idea to help reduce carbon deposits (as are catch cans). For a turbocharged 4 cylinder GDI motor you really should use a full synthetic oil for the sake of longevity - I personally use AMSOIL Signature 5w30. Also, I'm in Central TX so I'm not sure what this "winter" thing is?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Welcome to the ES forums!!

87 or 89 is supposed to be fine for this car, however, they are very much prone to knock and "super knock" (aka LSPI), and running a higher octane gas is a good preventative measure for that. As well, as this is a GDI motor and fuel system cleaners will never touch the intake valves, a cleaner burning fuel is a very good idea to help reduce carbon deposits (as are catch cans). For a turbocharged 4 cylinder GDI motor you really should use a full synthetic oil for the sake of longevity - I personally use AMSOIL Signature 5w30. Also, I'm in Central TX so I'm not sure what this "winter" thing is?

Hmm interesting so 93 would probably be best I'm guessing or is 91 okay? Never picked 91 in my previous cars lol always either regular 89 or 93.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.