Elantra Sport Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, my name is Tom and I just signed for my black ES 6 speed today, coming from a 2013 GTI with bolt ons and a even stage 1, I am pretty excited to get it!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
They said the end of this week, they need to do a swap with another dealer.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I am picking it up in the AM, and I sold the GTI due to maintenance costs, and I'm a European car mechanic if that says anything haha. But really I loved my GTI this just made sense and I'm saving almost 100$ a month

·
Registered
137 Posts
I am picking it up in the AM, and I sold the GTI due to maintenance costs, and I'm a European car mechanic if that says anything haha. But really I loved my GTI this just made sense and I'm saving almost 100$ a month
It stuff like this that I've read thousands of times on forums that keep me from getting a VW even though I really like GTIs and GLIs. I've wanted one since 2001 when I almost bought one as my first new car. Those cars turned out to be nightmares.

The Elantra Sport is mechanically similar to GLIs and GTIs, both with 6 speed manual/DSG, turbo, direct injected 4 cylinders.

I guess we'll see if Hyundai does it better than VW in terms of reliability of these technologies.

·
Registered
88 Posts
It stuff like this that I've read thousands of times on forums that keep me from getting a VW even though I really like GTIs and GLIs. I've wanted one since 2001 when I almost bought one as my first new car. Those cars turned out to be nightmares.

The Elantra Sport is mechanically similar to GLIs and GTIs, both with 6 speed manual/DSG, turbo, direct injected 4 cylinders.

I guess we'll see if Hyundai does it better than VW in terms of reliability of these technologies.
To help ease your mind on that, pretty much everything about this car has been successful by a LONG shot on the VTs... besides the first year they came out (2013) otherwise they have been amazing and plenty have hit 100k miles already. I have zero worry about getting an ES and running it to 100k mi.

·
Registered
8 Posts
My 2012 GTI currently has about 60k miles and has been OK maintenance wise. It's had nothing but a couple recall issues, and the clutch was weak and died young after I tuned it. However my previous car, a 2005 Elantra GT, went 200k miles and never had a single issue.

The GTI blows the Elantra away in performance, especially with the Stage1 tune. The Elantra has more interior room, but the GTI interior is significantly higher quality. But yea - looming fear of future maintenance sucks. Also the AC in the GTI is awful, it's never been able to keep up when the temps reach 90.

I wish the Sport got better gas mileage and I wish the upcoming GT Sport's interior didnt look stupid. I was pretty set on the GT - with more interior and cargo space, decent performance, nice looks - but the interior looks bad. I cant do that tablet on the dashboard, or the tacky red accents on everything.

·
Registered
137 Posts
My 2012 GTI currently has about 60k miles and has been OK maintenance wise. It's had nothing but a couple recall issues, and the clutch was weak and died young after I tuned it. However my previous car, a 2005 Elantra GT, went 200k miles and never had a single issue.

The GTI blows the Elantra away in performance, especially with the Stage1 tune. The Elantra has more interior room, but the GTI interior is significantly higher quality. But yea - looming fear of future maintenance sucks. Also the AC in the GTI is awful, it's never been able to keep up when the temps reach 90.

I wish the Sport got better gas mileage and I wish the upcoming GT Sport's interior didnt look stupid. I was pretty set on the GT - with more interior and cargo space, decent performance, nice looks - but the interior looks bad. I cant do that tablet on the dashboard, or the tacky red accents on everything.
Took the words right out of my mouth on the new Elantra GT hatch.

That's the one I wanted, but couldn't do the tablet dashboard with all the red accents.

·
Registered
137 Posts
According to JD Power, Hyundai is already way, way ahead of VW in reliability.
Yeah, the JD Power and Consumer Reports rankings are what made me comfortable with buying a Hyundai, but I'm still cautious on the direct injection.

I've been following VW since the MKIV Jetta, and they've never been rated well.

I'll never understand how Hyundai seems to have figured it out, but VW, which has had more time to do it, can't figure it out. There has to be something about Germany's culture, genetics, or diet (sausages and beer?) that is preventing them from making a reliable car.

Reactions: Tjbell

·
Super Moderator
1,198 Posts
Yeah, it's curious because, in the 80s and early 90s, VWs were some of the most reliable cars on the road. They just kind of went to crap with electrical issues in the mid to late 90s and never really recovered. I used to be a VW guy... had a Beetle, a Rabbit, and a Dasher. After they started trying to push off clunkers on the world at large I had to abandon them. It would be interesting to watch a documentary about what happened to them.

·
Registered
137 Posts
VW is a huge company, they have (had?) the resources to make a reliable car. If Hyundai can do it, VW certainly can do it. Is it really that hard to reverse engineer a Toyota and then add in the German solid feel and handling? This is kind of what I'm hoping for from the Elantra Sport.

All companies do it, but Hyundai is known for spying, copying, studying Toyota, while at the same time, hiring people like Peter Schreyer and Albert Biermann to make their cars actually look good and, finally, drive good.

The Elantra Sport is as close to a Toyota GLI as I am going to get.

·
Super Moderator
1,198 Posts
Well, Hyundai is good enough now that they're selling some of their parts to other companies. Apparently their new DCTs are selling well to other car manufacturers. They even developed their own electric car technology.

·
Registered
2,413 Posts
I wish the Sport got better gas mileage...
Most people have been beating the EPA ratings by quite a bit. My work commute is kind of unique that I spend a lot of time cruising at 50-60mph, but I haven't had a tank below 33mpg.

Wait... what? VWs have the junkiest, clunkiest interiors of pretty much any car made today. It's like they're still making interiors via a time warp to 1989.
I'm not a fan of VW (my MK5 GTi took a nose dive in reliability at 60k miles so I ditched it quickly) but I don't really agree that they have the worst interiors today. Quite the opposite actually. And I've had a lot of time in several of them for my job.

·
Super Moderator
1,198 Posts
I'm not a fan of VW (my MK5 GTi took a nose dive in reliability at 60k miles so I ditched it quickly) but I don't really agree that they have the worst interiors today. Quite the opposite actually. And I've had a lot of time in several of them for my job.
I've driven two recently - a 2014 Jetta and a 2016 GTI for clients. Absolute garbage interiors. Seriously cheap plastic (think Yugo), everything is already squeaking and squawking in both of them.

·
Registered
2,413 Posts
I've driven two recently - a 2014 Jetta and a 2016 GTI for clients. Absolute garbage interiors. Seriously cheap plastic (think Yugo), everything is already squeaking and squawking in both of them.
Well that hasn't really been my experience IMO.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts