Elantra Sport Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Has anyone changed the conventional air filter to the K&N? If so any material improvement?
I am using it too - I like it. You may notice a little bit of a difference and a small sound difference. But it does leave me wanting more - but I am not sure if that is because it is not good enough. However, I have become kind of obsessed with mods even though I don't do any (tork pipe). I think it is slowly killing me. I am always looking at more I can do and it stresses me out lol.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Dont you have custom exhaust/muffler delete on your car? Did the dealer not care/notice?
I am sure they wouldn't even care for the intake, I just switched because it was easy and I also wanted to compare the sound again to the shorty big gulp. They did not say anything bad about the car being modded. I think this was the best dealership service experience yet. The manager lady was very cool and told me straight up that they can't say anything against your mods unless the failure in question was caused by one of the mods. Btw, I don't have a muffler delete. It's an aftermarket muffler. Delete means no muffler at all.

·
Registered
2,413 Posts
The manager lady was very cool and told me straight up that they can't say anything against your mods unless the failure in question was caused by one of the mods.
Which is the law, and I'm surprised she knew that.

·
Registered
32 Posts

Thats the one i have, as far as i know we use the exact same filters as the regular elantra all around.... But honestly I really didn't notice any difference at all, noise, power, mileage etc, nothing.... lol :rolleyes: But then again I am pretty deaf.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Hi CoolRonZ,

Thanks for your input. I think, I'll stick to the stock set up. Save the $50-70 on the filter!
Id say the sound of the car livens up just a bit. I don't regret spending the money.

Reactions: CoolRonZ

·
Registered
44 Posts
I just installed the Tork shorty intake and the difference between this and the stock air box is substantial. I have been driving my car for 2k miles stock and just installed the intake today. This intake is no placebo. Replacing the stock intake box is a must do performance upgrade in my opinion.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I'd save your money here. Really wouldn't be enough of a benefit to pay $50 for this. Just pull the box out completely and slap on an intake filter. Just buy something that will extend it enough to avoid the factory ridges on the tubing.

·
Registered
126 Posts
For my own K&N drop in air filter experience.
I used it on my last 2012 Veloster for several years. Also using brand name synthetic oil, follwing 6000km oil change interval (at dealer), permium gas, no hard pushing, only daily driving purpose and no moodification.

- no noticeable difference for performance and sound

- burning oil issue starting from around 78000km

- At 95000km, dealer promised to change the short block due to excessive engine oil consumption problem. About 1L per 1500Km. Under warranty cover.

- At 15000km, strange ticking sound appeared at engine and becoming louder. No more warranty for more than 100000km.

- Dealer and my own mechanic both told me it's internal engine problem and was needed to replace engine.

Finally trade in ASAP with the new 2018 ES turbo. When I asked them what is the main cause of the engine failure? They couldn't tell. Dealer said it might be manufacturer defective. My mechanic said it's the engine design issue as he also noticed abnormal engine noise for some Hyundai cars during the oil change service.

So the only thing I have done that might affect the engine directly is the long term use of K&N drop in filter for about 6 years. Surely, I did following the cleaning and recharge procedure for every year.

I don't know whether it's the real cause of the engine failure for only at 78000km and 15000km after the short block change. Yes, there are lot of reviews and reports from google about the con of this type of oil change high flow air filter. Trust or not.

I just don't want to take the risk again. So just want to share my own experience and it's up to your choice.

·
Registered
1 Posts

·
Registered
2,413 Posts
I see the 33-5050 is available for a standard filter box replacement, will this work on the 2018 Elantra GT Turbo 1.6L?
The only one it lists on the K and N site for 2018 is the cold air intake Typhoon kit for my model.
Just curious if this will work or what people thought about he Typhoon kit.
It says it adds almost 16 hp, just wondering if it's worthe the $312 price tag.

https://www.knfilters.ca/search/appsearch.aspx?type=auto&year=2018&make=HYUNDAI&model=Elantra GT&engine=1.6L
For the money there are better kits. But if you are set on K&N, that will work.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I tried the 33-5050 K&N filter on my 2018 DCT but I notice some hesitance and micro-shakes during low gears (1-4). It's not so smooth during gear change compare to the stock filter. But if I use paddle shifters, I don't have this issue. Definitely feel the power gain and the the car is more willing and eager. I suspect it's the software of the DCT not designed for this filter. Keeping it to stock until next service when I change engine oil and put more km on the clock.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts