Elantra Sport Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just want to add few more HP to the car and make the gas pedal more responsive, but do not want to sacrifice the engine life and I think I am not the only one who want this.
When I put through light, I can see big holes through the K&N Filter, which in stock I cannot see anything.
Will the new K&N filter let more dirt into the engine?? Many people claim that K&N Air Filter will destroy the engine life by letting more dirt get into the engine while on K&N website, they say otherwise " this high-flow K&N filter can flow a lot more air, while simultaneously filtering out more dirt ".
Any ideal on this would be nice.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I don't trust K&N anymore for my own experience with my last 6 years 2012 Veloster. Long story short. My last Veloster got burning oil issue and was replaced the short block at around 90000 km. Then got serious engine tick noise issue at 150000 km. Both dealership service and my own mechanic told me the engine was done and was needed to replace.

The only performance modification (not really) related to engine I had done was using the K&N drop in filter and Eneos fully synthetic motor oil for these 6 years. No matter how I took care of it like following the regular OCI, using V-Power and recharge/cleaning the K&N regularly for these 6 years. Still no help.

Well, it might not be really related to K&N or Eneos oil. But I just don't want to take another risk for my new 2018 ES as I want to keep it as long as possible.

So it's up to you if you think K&N or this kind of CAI can help to increase a little bit HP.

·
Registered
2,858 Posts
I don't trust K&N anymore for my own experience with my last 6 years 2012 Veloster. Long story short. My last Veloster got burning oil issue and was replaced the short block at around 90000 km. Then got serious engine tick noise issue at 150000 km. Both dealership service and my own mechanic told me the engine was done and was needed to replace.

The only performance modification (not really) related to engine I had done was using the K&N drop in filter and Eneos fully synthetic motor oil for these 6 years. No matter how I took care of it like following the regular OCI, using V-Power and recharge/cleaning the K&N regularly for these 6 years. Still no help.

Well, it might not be really related to K&N or Eneos oil. But I just don't want to take another risk for my new 2018 ES as I want to keep it as long as possible.

So it's up to you if you think K&N or this kind of CAI can help to increase a little bit HP.
I'd put your troubles more on the engine itself, not the air filter. Those early Veloster Turbo's are known for having terrible reliability when it comes to the engine.

·
Registered
126 Posts
My Veloster is only NAV not Turbo. Yes, I also noticed many engine failure cases for the first and second generation too especially for Turbo.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts