Elantra Sport Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just to let you know, K&N release the ES Typhoon series K&N 69-5317TS

same gain as other option here, 15.4hp, price tag higher but come with the DV and PCV hoses.

really just sharing the info, I already got a 6EE intake

·
Registered
2,413 Posts

·
Registered
2,413 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
i wonder how loud this one is compared the to other 2 that are available to us. those dyno results look fairly impressive for just an intake.

·
Registered
2,413 Posts
i wonder how loud this one is compared the to other 2 that are available to us. those dyno results look fairly impressive for just an intake.
They're all going to be about the same.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Ive got a couple questions...

What exactly makes it not legal for California? Is it the filter or something else?

Is their filter really all that great with their million mile warranty? Has anyone used this or any other K&N filter/intake on a VT?

What filter(s) do Tork and 6EE send out with their short rams?

Is anyone selling that shield that can be installed with Tork or 6EE's short rams to turn them into cold-air intakes? I really don't want to put mine down in the fender wall and chance drowning it.

·
Registered
27 Posts

What exactly makes it not legal for California?
anything they think makes noise or uses more fuel ..They think that is legal to give a person a ticket if you are watching a street race :rolleyes:

·
Registered
188 Posts

What exactly makes it not legal for California? Is it the filter or something else?

Is their filter really all that great with their million mile warranty? Has anyone used this or any other K&N filter/intake on a VT?

What filter(s) do Tork and 6EE send out with their short rams?

Is anyone selling that shield that can be installed with Tork or 6EE's short rams to turn them into cold-air intakes? I really don't want to put mine down in the fender wall and chance drowning it.
Wait for pictures. In K&N intakes of the past, the shield didn't even touch the top of the hood so it was essentially worthless as it didn't seal anything. Hot air was still able to be sucked in through the intake with little to no resistance met in it's way.

I had a K&N intake on a 2006 Civic Si as well as a 2004 RX-8. Neither impressed me, especially for the ridiculous price. In both cases the car actually felt better AFTER I took the intake off to sell it. They were both N/A so it's a different beast, but it didn't make me want to buy another. Their customer service is some of the best in the industry however.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Yup, the similar kits for the VT ended up being hot air intakes because the box actually trapped hot air.
With the car not moving, I'd expect this with most engine bay intake locations. Does the stock air box draw air from an outside vent?

·
Registered
2,413 Posts
With the car not moving, I'd expect this with most engine bay intake locations. Does the stock air box draw air from an outside vent?
Yes the little tube that attaches to the radiator support feeds cooler air to the bottom of the stock airbox. I left it in when I put my SXTH intake in because it still feeds air to the filter location.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Wouldnt a heat shield be better then no heat shield or does it actually keep that much heat in? Only reason im looking at K&N is because im a dealer through them and can get them at a decent price but if its worse id rather spend the extra $

·
Registered
188 Posts
Wouldnt a heat shield be better then no heat shield or does it actually keep that much heat in? Only reason im looking at K&N is because im a dealer through them and can get them at a decent price but if its worse id rather spend the extra $
If it truly seals against the hood then it's a nice feature to have. It won't keep all hot air away, but the hope is that it keeps it away for long enough while you're stationary that it's quickly remedied once you start moving again.

If it doesn't seal against the hood, however, then it doesn't even do the one job it's supposed to do as air can easily get around it. It may as well not even be there at that point.

I'm still not trusting their dyno claims either. I'll wait for a dyno from someone who actually has it.

·
Super Moderator
1,198 Posts
Yes, the stock airbox does. Most intakes don't have a box surrounding them to trap hot air in. They sit in a spot where air flows regularly so it doesn't just sit in a hotspot sucking in hot air.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts