Elantra Sport Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Nothing replaced, the car is cold when they look at it so it's not happening. They did hear it when I took it in but they don't really do an involved investigation when the car is warm and its making the sound. You can even feel a knotch in the steering when it ticks. It sounds like the source is outside the cabin somewhere under the hood / car.

·
Registered
1 Posts
cant really tell from the video but does the noise sound like it is outside of the veh or inside? Hyundai has some issues with steering couplers. if it sound like its inside the column it could be that. if outside the veh then possibly the cv joint. it souldnt be any thing with the DCT there should be no involvement in the transmission when turning the wheel other than the cv

**edit just saw that you said it sounds like its outside the cabin in that case they need to shake down the axle and steering shaft

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the feedback. Booked another day off work and taking it back this week. Let's hope they get it this time.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Check the steering coupler bolt inside the car, I've had Tucsons make similar noise and found the steering coupler bolt needed torqued down. When you're checking that bolt it's going to seem tight just go another quarter inch, I'm talking about the top steering coupler by the steering column, I believe it's a 14 mm bolt. Hopefully that's it!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Nobody can figure out the issue... They keep tightening steering and suspension components with no luck. I'm tired of taking it in and wasting time. I may just trade up for the veloster N next year and just live with it for now.

·
Registered
2,856 Posts
That definitely sounds like it is outside. That's one of those things you need two people for, one to steer back and forth, and the other under the car trying to locate where the sound is coming from.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I think i might know what it is, the plastic housing that goes from the internal steering column (shaft?) that connects to the steering colomn on the subframe may not be seated properly, it has to seat perfectly orelse it kinda drops down a bit and It can most likely cause that ticking as it rubs against some ridges in the assembly.

It looks like a white plastic ball boint underneath ur driver side, you can only see it while under the car (just see it a little if you look from your engine bay up top, (its right behind and below the brake fluid resovoir)

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
They replaced the intermediate steering shaft, I'll monitor and see if the issue has been resolved. fingers crossed

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I think i might know what it is, the plastic housing that goes from the internal steering column (shaft?) that connects to the steering colomn on the subframe may not be seated properly, it has to seat perfectly orelse it kinda drops down a bit and It can most likely cause that ticking as it rubs against some ridges in the assembly.

It looks like a white plastic ball boint underneath ur driver side, you can only see it while under the car (just see it a little if you look from your engine bay up top, (its right behind and below the brake fluid resovoir)
Exactly my thoughts ... I worked with the techs and they replaced the intermediate steering shaft.

·
Registered
2,856 Posts
Why is it so hard for the dealer to have someone sit in the car and steer back and forth while someone underneath uses a listening device to find where the sound is coming from?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts