Elantra Sport Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been having a reoccurring problem that even my dealership has yet been able to fix successfully (on it's second stay at the dealership). The vehicle will lag specifically on the up shift. Revs will go up to about 3k - 4k and then there will be a 2 second pause where the vehicle bogs down before the transmission shifts. In addition to this, moving the lever over to the manual mode position does absolutely nothing. Also, the vehicle will not go into reverse and won't rev when reverse is selected. Initially the tech changed an actuator which fixed the issues for a few days but they came back. Has anyone dealt with a similar issue and been able to get it successfully repaired? The vehicle is under warrant still but it is slowly approaching the 30 days in the shop mark.

·
Registered
2018 Hyundai Elantra Sport DCT w/TECH
284 Posts
Cannot help you, but please post dealer's diagnostics and what was done to rectify the issue. Good luck!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The dealership chalked the issues returning up to installing a "bad part" and did the same repair again (replacing the DCT actuator). Honestly as soon as it was "repaired" (it was still having lingering issues every so often, lever no going into manual sometimes and whatnot) I traded it in for a Volvo V60 Polestar and never looked back.

·
Registered
2,533 Posts
The DCT's can be quirky. There is a TSB out for the 17-18 models for an improved clutch pack. Aside from that, hard to say. Reliability on the manuals is significantly better.

·
Registered
283 Posts
The dealership chalked the issues returning up to installing a "bad part" and did the same repair again (replacing the DCT actuator). Honestly as soon as it was "repaired" (it was still having lingering issues every so often, lever no going into manual sometimes and whatnot) I traded it in for a Volvo V60 Polestar and never looked back.
You'll enjoy the Polestar - I have one and I'm happy with it. I do enjoy the ES as well - manual transmission is the way to go IMHO. I totally wish the P* came in a manual...

·
Registered
73 Posts
I might have gone DCT because my mom would have preferred that I buy an automatic instead of stick because obviously she can't drive stick (DCT gets good MPG though). However, the ES is better with it than the auto, and would come with less issues. Sadly, the powertrain was a huge issue for the 2016-18 Tucson that for the 2019 revision, they did away with it completely. The Veloster N now comes with a wet DCT, so hopefully it stays reliable.

Polestar Volvos are awesome, especially in wagon form. My mom had a 740 Turbo wagon during my childhood, it was fun sitting in the third row backseat lol. They actually were decently reliable for a European car in the 80s as long as you did the maintenance, which my parents complained about being expensive compared to Japanese cars.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts