Elantra Sport Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I have had my new ECU with an 89 octane tune for about 3 weeks now. I really haven't driver her much in the winter.
You're probably wondering why on earth would anyone in Canada get a tune for 89 octane? Well the small island I live
on, its the only fuel sold here. Also keep in mind its a temperate rain forest, they don't call it the misty isles for nothing.
Seems I have never gotten the boost everyone else in the world is getting. With stock ECU, i maxed out at 16psi, wastegate
would instantly open and I would pretty much consistently get 14psi. Installed a 3" catless downpipe and tork big gulp intake.
After that, was getting 12psi boost. Some people tried to tell me that I developed a leak, but I don't think so, because my
peak boost was still 16psi, then the wastegate controls boost pressure. Power felt the same, just less boost. Where I live is
coastal and almost always ocean mist. So please keep this in mind. David Chung sort of told me to expect 20-21psi boost.
But I have pretty much only seen peak 19psi, but instantly is dialed down to 16psi, but 16psi is very consistent, keep in mind
its still wintertime. With everything I was quoted 20-30whp gains, I can definitely confirm this. I would not consider my car
fast, but definitely much peppier. If the highways were dry, I'm sure its a 6 second 0-60 car now. For now its just too hard to
find traction in first and second gear. Its a 6 speed manual, so a DCT would be even quicker. I would say it reaches close to
peak HP around 4.5k, up to 6k it feels pretty much the same, small turbo issues. Also our intercoolers are very restrictive, a
FMIC is definitely on my wishlist. But its definitely not a torque monster that some are experiencing with the 93+ tune, its
generally speaking very linear. As it stands, my elantra feels about as quick as a stock Focus ST, that is huge in my books.

Attachments

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
mind trying to put in 91 instead, also wondering what made you choose a lower octane tune ?
they only sell 89 octane in my small little town of 243 people.... not like you city folk who have options... lol ;)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts