Elantra Sport Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Lap3tune:
Easy install only need 10mm socket and a 12mm.
Recommend removing the car battery completely for easy access to the ecu and to unmount ecu from the frame on which it is attatched to. Literaly replace ecu in the same fashion and you are done.
Note: per davids instruction after ecu is installed turn on car by pressing the ignition button twice without pressing the break pedal. Wait for about 30-60 seconds, turn off car and start normally with brake pedals pressed. Car may take an extra second to start but is all good. No check lights apeared as they should not.

Tune summary: peak boost on obd2 indicated around 20-21.5 psi up from stock peak recording of 14-16psi. Shifts are smoother (idk if from tune or sparks or both) car no longer hesitates and open / close throttle body making it awkward at low speed low throttle. Boost is held longer and spool seems quicker. For sure faster pulls no solid numbers as of now. Average mileage has also stay higher than normal cruising speed at 80mph stock gives me about 26/28 mpg, after tune hitting around 31-35mpg. Possibly due to leaner tune. Overall car is faster meaner and pulls noticebly harder. Honestly this should have been the stock tune on the car. Hope this was helpful for those that are on the fence on getting this tune because for me david the us rep of lap3 has also been very helpful.

Attachments

·
Registered
76 Posts
sweet thanks for the write up. I am tossing the idea around about doing a tune. You have your old ecu still? In the event you need to go back to the dealer.

·
Registered
3 Posts
sweet thanks for the write up. I am tossing the idea around about doing a tune. You have your old ecu still? In the event you need to go back to the dealer.
Is that a sure-proof way of fooling the dealer? Won't the stock ecu only show logs (data) during the mileage for which it was used? In other words, won't there be a data gap when swapping back to the stock ecu? Not very familiar with ecu swapping, just can't imagine the dealers not being able to discover an ecu switch.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Is that a sure-proof way of fooling the dealer? Won't the stock ecu only show logs (data) during the mileage for which it was used? In other words, won't there be a data gap when swapping back to the stock ecu? Not very familiar with ecu swapping, just can't imagine the dealers not being able to discover an ecu switch.
There will absolutely be a data gap, though I'll bet they would have to actively look for it.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes this is a way to full proof fool a dealer, as if you do a reflash on any car a code is stored within the ecu unit notifying it has been modified or tampered with, which will void your engine warrenty, when you take out an ecu and fully replace it the ecu was never tampered with and the code isnt thrown so you have a very high chance of fooling dealers. This also depends on your dealer as some are willing to even do warrenty work on a modified car.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Here is what pops up in dealer records when they scan ecu
Does that pop up when they scan the tuned one or when you swap back to stock and they scan the stock ECU?

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Does that pop up when they scan the tuned one or when you swap back to stock and they scan the stock ECU?
It is what happens when the dealer detects your ecu was reflashed, so the tuned ecu will obviously pop that code, the thing is you buy a newecu when you buy lap3's tune so you can put back your OEM ecu into your car and this code wont appear as the ecu was never touched

·
Registered
22 Posts
It is what happens when the dealer detects your ecu was reflashed, so the tuned ecu will obviously pop that code, the thing is you buy a newecu when you buy lap3's tune so you can put back your OEM ecu into your car and this code wont appear as the ecu was never touched

The code will pop-up regardless, my Infiniti is using a ECUTEK tune on a different ECU and it pops the code. I have a Autel Maxisys MS906BT, and it does detect when you ECU has been tampered with along with other goodies lol ( sarcasm ). Even if you put your old ECU and you reprogram to the miles your car reflects it will indicate it was tampered with, as your OEM ECU would be stuck in time thinking its supposed to have I.E. 10k miles.

What it boils down too is the dealership proving that a certain performance upgrade caused the powertrain to fail and that you had a performance upgrade. Companies like K&N, stand behind there products and will help pay for damages if the intake system did it ( again not related to ECU, just example ). The dealership will read the codes and forward the info to Hyundai Motors, they will make the choice to either decline it or approve. I have had a lot of close calls with Infiniti and Lexus an they have done a lot of good will calls and covered 85-90% of the cost's. My vehicles are very heavily modified however I go to the dealer for simple oil changes, cabin filter change and other items. Lexus covered a secondary oil cooler that popped due clog on the return line, greddy covered the supercharger and Lexus covered the oil cooler, lines, head and valve cover gaskets along with other goodies lol,

Infiniti covered two fuel injectors, fuel rail etc due to a water/meth kit...……till this day I don't get it how they burned up, Infiniti covered 95% of the damages as good will call.

I have heard some folks tell me that Hyundai has declined warranty claims on a vehicle that has had no mods to cars with mods. The other thing to keep in mind is that once you take your car in, the service department will flag the car with findings. If you try to take it to another dealer in hopes you will get a yes it will not work.

you just have to roll the dice, and hope you either win or loose ….sometimes it even best not to play at all.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Simple fix for those worried about warranty.

Don’t mod your car. You bought the car most likely for the warranty, keep it that way.

We’ll just enjoy being faster

Reactions: CoolRonZ

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Simple fix for those worried about warranty.

Don’t mod your car. You bought the car most likely for the warranty, keep it that way.

We’ll just enjoy being faster
or your like me and I bought the car for its value and to prove to the local car community that hyundai is here for real ;).

·
Registered
22 Posts
or your like me and I bought the car for its value and to prove to the local car community that hyundai is here for real ;).

Same here ....I needed a daily and in the need for speed pursuit, I realized that my other vehicles consumed too much gas. It was either a Honda Civic or Elantra. So I went with the Elantra for the same reasons as you. I have messed with a couple of things here and there on the ES, my plans are geared now more into cosmetics/aesthetics. I want to the ES to pop a little more exterior, not looking much for speed.

Its true not all dealers will flag you, however its a chance one takes if they do or don't.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts