1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

·
Registered
71 Posts
I guess I will ask you, since you have to send in the ECU and for some people that is not necessarily an option have you ever considered trying to build an accessport type tune?

And for those that do opt to send in their ECU if they ever want to revert to stock how would that work?

·
Registered
78 Posts
I believe an accessport type tune, would require support from the companies that make the hardware to allow it, oppose to SXTH which develops the software side. There isn't any support for such a thing, and the Hyundai ECU is a bit more difficult, as they have taken measure to prevent a accessport like tune.

You would ideally purchase a spare ECU that would get match to your car, so one tuned, and one stock. If modding your car is the plan, tossing another $100 to rent a car for 2-3 days, while you wait for the ECU tune turn around isn't really a big deal.

·
Registered
241 Posts
I guess I will ask you, since you have to send in the ECU and for some people that is not necessarily an option have you ever considered trying to build an accessport type tune?

And for those that do opt to send in their ECU if they ever want to revert to stock how would that work?
Cobb has hundreds of thousands of dollars into their accessport hardware/software. We aren't that big yet, and the ROI on that for this platform just isn't there.
Plus, I'm a mech engineer and not electrical/software :) Designing stuff like that is out of my wheelhouse. I understand enough to effectively use it, but creating that is another story!

We have Forte and Veloster people flash their ECUs and sometimes they will send them back to get flashed to stock settings. The only problem is the downtime.

With a little time invested in the beginning, you can purchase a spare ECU that we can clone and keep stock. You can use the stock one for warranty visits if you need to.

9 times out of 10, they won't even know your car is tuned unless their trying to diagnose a severe engine issue.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Cobb has hundreds of thousands of dollars into their accessport hardware/software. We aren't that big yet, and the ROI on that for this platform just isn't there.
Plus, I'm a mech engineer and not electrical/software :) Designing stuff like that is out of my wheelhouse. I understand enough to effectively use it, but creating that is another story!

We have Forte and Veloster people flash their ECUs and sometimes they will send them back to get flashed to stock settings. The only problem is the downtime.

With a little time invested in the beginning, you can purchase a spare ECU that we can clone and keep stock. You can use the stock one for warranty visits if you need to.

9 times out of 10, they won't even know your car is tuned unless their trying to diagnose a severe engine issue.
Thank you very much for your response! You guys always have really great information.

If I wanted to use the stock ECU for warranty visits it would be as easy as just swapping out the ECU? Does that cause any problems to the car by changing the ECU and would the dealer even be able to know a tuned ECU was used and then swapped out?

·
Super Moderator
1,200 Posts
As far as shipping the ECU back and forth for tuning, I can't comment on 6EEs turnaround time because I haven't used them, but I did get a bench flash from Tork on my VT. I overnighted them my ECU on a Thursday, I think, and had it back by the following Tuesday or Wednesday (can't remember which). They definitely don't sit on 'em. They understand that, for a whole lot of us, these cars are daily drivers and work with that in mind to keep downtime to an absolute minimum. I would guess that 6EE is the same but, again, I haven't used them for tuning so I can't say.

·
Registered
2,464 Posts
I overnighted them my ECU on a Thursday, I think, and had it back by the following Tuesday or Wednesday (can't remember which).
That's still too long. Looks like if I can't figure something out, no tune for me.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Not to insensitive but I don't see how being down for a short while is a big deal, you can rent a car in 20 minutes and pay around $25 a day without even giving much effort.
It's a small price to pay, to virtually get a completely different car, once you plug in the tune. Without the tune, it kinda questions the investment in any upgrades.

·
Registered
2,464 Posts
There's no possible way it could go faster, really. If I send it on Thursday, they receive it on Friday. They ship it back out Monday and I receive it on Tuesday. That's one day each way. Literally cannot be faster.
With a weekend in between. That's essentially 5-6 days.

Not to insensitive but I don't see how being down for a short while is a big deal, you can rent a car in 20 minutes and pay around $25 a day without even giving much effort.
It's a small price to pay, to virtually get a completely different car, once you plug in the tune. Without the tune, it kinda questions the investment in any upgrades.
Small town, nearest rental car place is miles away and I have nobody to take me there to pick it up. (unless they offer delivery, not sure).

·
Registered
228 Posts
Renting a car for 25 per day... That'll end up around 100 bucks in total (at the very least). How's that not a big deal? I can justify renting a car when you have literally no other option, but for a tune? No way. What if your ecu needs to be adjusted again? Not worth the hassle.

I think sending out a loaner ecu to the customer is a brilliant idea. I would not mind putting down whatever the deposit cost is. This eliminates any need for rentals and extra shipping costs.

·
Registered
2,464 Posts
I think sending out a loaner ecu to the customer is a brilliant idea. I would not mind putting down whatever the deposit cost is. This eliminates any need for rentals and extra shipping costs.
This is probably the route I will go. I will also be purchasing a spare ECU to put the tune on.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I'm not going to start a stupid debate, I gain or lose nothing no matter what you decide, so don't take this as a argument. However (my argument is) :) you got $500+ in a tune, $1000 in the intake/exhaust setup, and whatever else cosmetic things you like, and somehow $100 rental is a deal breaker to make the best use of the $20K+ car you just bought.

Small price to pay

Even without other upgrades, a stage 0 tune alone, would add personal value to the enjoyment of the car.

·
Registered
228 Posts
I'm not going to start a stupid debate, I gain or lose nothing no matter what you decide, so don't take this as a argument. However (my argument is) :) you got $500+ in a tune, $1000 in the intake/exhaust setup, and whatever else cosmetic things you like, and somehow $100 rental is a deal breaker to make the best use of the $20K+ car you just bought.

Small price to pay

Even without other upgrades, a stage 0 tune alone, would add personal value to the enjoyment of the car.
No one is arguing how awesome a tune would be. But I just don't like the idea of having to rent a car just because of a mod when there could be a better option (and there is now). It sounds like you rent cars often. I rent them only when totally pressed to do so.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Got to show off the metal amex platinum :)
It's funny, as to me, placing a deposit and shipping a loaner ecu is more a hassle.

I just want a tune for this car badly

·
Registered
241 Posts
With a weekend in between. That's essentially 5-6 days.

Small town, nearest rental car place is miles away and I have nobody to take me there to pick it up. (unless they offer delivery, not sure).
Doesn't need to be a weekend :)

I've had plenty of customers use UPS Red. It's overnight delivery guaranteed.

Mail it to me on a Monday and it's back to you Wednesday morning.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts